Finding the current for each time interval (Electric circuits)

In summary: So, the current at t = 2 ms can be obtained by evaluating the integral at t = 2 ms.In summary, the current in the given circuit is a continuous function of time and can be found by evaluating the integral of voltage from 0 to the desired time. The current at t = 2 ms can be obtained by taking the limit as t approaches 2 ms in the interval 0 < t < 2 ms. Additionally, there is a typo in the first line of the expression for i in the second time interval, but the rest of the equations are correct.
s3a

Homework Statement

The problem and its solution are attached as TheProblemAndSolution.jpg.

2. Relevant equation
ν = L di/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how the solution gets i = 10.0 A for t = 2 ms as well as to how it gets i = 30 – (10 * 10^3) t) (A) for 2 ms < t < 4 ms. More specifically, I see that the equation when 0 < t < 2 ms has i = 10.0 A if one plugs in 2 ms in the t variable like so, 5 * 10^3 (2 * 10^(-3) s) = 10.0 A. However, what I do not get is, why does the equation for the interval (0, 2) work for the point t = 2 ms (does the reasoning relate to the fact that 1.9999 (periodic 9) can be proved to equal 2? As to when 2 < t < 4, something seems off with the first equality but I cannot figure out exactly what. Just to note, I don't see anything wrong with Fig. 2-12 and the way it relates to the equations in the work so I don't think anything is wrong but, to reiterate, I don't get why i = 10.0 A at t = 2 ms and I'm confused as to how to get the equation for when 2 ms < t < 4 ms because the first equality is messed up which throws me off for the rest of the work.

Any help in understanding these things would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• TheProblemAndSolution.jpg
    TheProblemAndSolution.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 444
Physics news on Phys.org
You have the right idea about the current at t = 2 ms. The current will be a continuous function of time, so the value at t = 2 ms is the limit of the expression for the first time interval as t approaches 2 ms.

There is a typo in the first line of the expression for i in the second time interval. It should read something like i = 10 + ∫vdt = 10 + (1/.003) ∫-30dt . The second and third lines look ok.

I'm still having doubts as to whether (t = 2 ms, i = 10.0 A) should be an included point or not.

Is it correct to say that it is BECAUSE equating the 0 < t < 2 ms and 2 ms < t < 4 ms equations as follows will yield an input t such that each equation's output is i = 10.0 A?:

5 * 10^3 t = 30 - 10 * 10^3 t
15 * 10^3 t = 30
t = 30/(15*10^3) [Plugging this value in either equation yields i = 10.0 A.]

I think of it this way. For a circuit that has inductance, the current cannot change discontinuously even when the voltage changes discontinuously. [To change the current discontinuously would require a "dirac-delta" type of impulsive voltage which is rather fictitious and is not what you are dealing with here.] So, the current will be a continuous function of time. So, the current at t = 2 ms must be the limit as t approaches 2 ms in the interval 0 < t < 2 ms.

From calculus, we know that if you take the integral from 0 to t of a function with a finite discontinuity, then the integral will be a continuous function of t. Here, the current at any time t is the integral of V from 0 to t. Even though V is discontinuous at t = 2 ms, the current will be continuous at t = 2 ms.

The solution provided is correct, but I can understand why it may be confusing. The key to understanding this problem is to remember that the current is not constant in an RL circuit, but rather changes over time. In order to find the current at any given time, we need to use the equation ν = L di/dt and solve for i.

For the interval 0 < t < 2 ms, we are given the inductance (L) as 5 * 10^3 H and the rate of change of current (di/dt) as 10 A/ms. Plugging these values into the equation, we get ν = (5 * 10^3 H)(10 A/ms) = 50 V. This voltage is constant throughout the interval, so we can use Ohm's Law to find the current, which is i = V/R = 50V/5Ω = 10 A.

For the interval 2 ms < t < 4 ms, we need to take into account that the current is changing over time. In this case, we can use the initial current (i = 10 A) at t = 2 ms and the rate of change of current (di/dt = -10 A/ms) to find the equation for current. This is done by integrating the rate of change of current over the time interval, which gives us i = 10 A - (10 A/ms)(t - 2 ms) = 30 A - (10 A/ms)t. This equation gives us the current at any given time within the interval.

I hope this helps clarify the solution for you. Remember to always pay attention to the units and how they are used in the equations, as this can help in understanding the solution better.

Related to Finding the current for each time interval (Electric circuits)

What is the purpose of finding the current for each time interval in electric circuits?

The purpose of finding the current for each time interval in electric circuits is to understand how the flow of electricity changes over time. This can help in troubleshooting and analyzing the performance of the circuit.

What is the formula for calculating current in an electric circuit?

The formula for calculating current in an electric circuit is I = V/R, where I is the current in amperes (A), V is the voltage in volts (V), and R is the resistance in ohms (Ω).

How do you measure the current in an electric circuit?

The current in an electric circuit can be measured using an ammeter, which is a device specifically designed to measure electrical current. It is connected in series with the circuit and displays the current in amperes.

What is the significance of finding the current for each time interval in a circuit over a longer period of time?

Finding the current for each time interval in a circuit over a longer period of time allows for the analysis of any changes or fluctuations in the current. This can help in detecting any potential issues or changes in the performance of the circuit.

How does the current change in a circuit with varying resistance and voltage?

The current in a circuit changes proportionally with changes in voltage and inversely with changes in resistance. This means that as voltage increases, current also increases, and as resistance increases, current decreases.