Finding rope tension and acceleration between two objects

In summary: Break it down into two problems, one for each block.In summary, the problem involves finding the tension in a cord and the magnitude of acceleration for two blocks on an inclined plane with one block having a mass of 4.0kg and the other having a mass of 2.0kg. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the second block and the horizontal plane is 0.50, while the inclined plane is frictionless and at an angle of 30°. The pulley only serves to change the direction of the cord connecting the blocks, and the cord has negligible mass. The solution involves using free body diagrams for each block and writing equations based on Newton's second law.
Curtis

Homework Statement

"Block A has mass ma=4.0kg, and block B has mass mb=2.0kg. The coefficient of kinetic friction between block B and the horizontal plane is μk=0.50. The inclined plane is frictionless and at angle θ=30°. The pulley serves only to change the direction of the cord connecting the blocks. The cord has negligible mass. Find (a) the tension in the cord and (b) the magnitude of the acceleration of the blocks.

Rough drawing:
7qRwRH9.png

Homework Equations

FN=mgcosθ
fkkFn
T=mg+ma
FN=mg+may
-fk=max

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, the first thing I did was find the force acting on the pulley from the 4kg block, which I found to be 33.948N. Then, I found the kinetic friction force of the flat surface underneath the 2kg block, for which I got 9.8N. After this, I'm just completely stuck. Everything I've read about tension requires acceleration. Anyway, I tried both adding and subtracting the kinetic friction from the 4kg block's force, then dividing by 2kg. I checked the answer in the back of the book, which turned out to be 13N and 1.6m/s2 for (b), neither of which I reached through any combination of equations.

I figured that the tension is supposed to be found first though, given the order of the problems. I did mess around trying to find the acceleration a little, using -fk=max, but I didn't get further than that (if that even is in the right direction).

I really just had no idea what to do with this. I've read through the chapter and browsed the internet for no less than three hours trying to figure out something and my brain's to the point of feeling like jelly. Any help would be greatly appreciated, even just a push in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Curtis said:

Homework Statement

"Block A has mass ma=4.0kg, and block B has mass mb=2.0kg. The coefficient of kinetic friction between block B and the horizontal plane is μk=0.50. The inclined plane is frictionless and at angle θ=30°. The pulley serves only to change the direction of the cord connecting the blocks. The cord has negligible mass. Find (a) the tension in the cord and (b) the magnitude of the acceleration.

Homework Equations

FN=mgcosθ
For block A
fkkFn
For block B
T=mg+ma
where did this come from?
-fk=max
.No,

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, the first thing I did was find the force acting on the pulley from the 4kg block, which I found to be 33.948N. Then, I found the kinetic friction force of the flat surface underneath the 2kg block, for which I got 9.8N. After this, I'm just completely stuck. Everything I've read about tension requires acceleration. Anyway, I tried both adding and subtracting the kinetic friction from the 4kg block's force, then dividing by 2kg. I checked the answer in the back of the book, which turned out to be 13N and 1.6m/s2 for (b), neither of which I reached through any combination of equations.

I figured that the tension is supposed to be found first though, given the order of the problems. I did mess around trying to find the acceleration a little, using -fk=max, but I didn't get further than that (if that even is in the
You must use free body diagrams for each block when solving these problems. Isolate each block and show the forces acting on them. For block A , for example, the component of its weight acts down the plane, and the tension force acts up the plane. Write tthe equstion that comes from Newtons 2nd law. Do the same for the other block . You get 2 equations and 2 unknowns which you can solve.

What he said.
I just want to add that the first thing you do is draw a free-body diagram for each block separately. You appear to be trying to think about the interactions between components - don't.

Related to Finding rope tension and acceleration between two objects

1. What is rope tension?

Rope tension is the force that is exerted on a rope when it is pulled or stretched. It is a measure of how tight the rope is and is usually expressed in units of Newtons (N).

2. How do you find the rope tension between two objects?

The rope tension between two objects can be found by using the equation: T = m * a, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. This equation is based on Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

3. What factors affect rope tension?

The factors that affect rope tension include the mass of the objects connected by the rope, the acceleration of the objects, and the angle at which the rope is pulled. The type and condition of the rope can also have an impact on the tension.

4. How does rope tension affect the acceleration of objects?

Rope tension is directly proportional to the acceleration of the objects. This means that as the tension on the rope increases, the acceleration of the objects also increases. Similarly, if the tension decreases, the acceleration will also decrease. This relationship is described by Newton's Second Law of Motion.

5. Can rope tension be negative?

Yes, rope tension can be negative. This occurs when the acceleration of the objects is in the opposite direction of the tension force. In this case, the negative tension indicates that the rope is being compressed rather than stretched.