Finding order of diffraction given angle and wavelength

In summary, the problem is to calculate the grating constant, d, using the given values of theta = 172.01167 degrees and lambda = 447.2 nanometers. The equation used is d = mλ / sinθ, where m is the order of diffraction. The central angle is 180 degrees and the significance of the variable name sigma was a mistake, it should be lambda. The problem statement is part of a lab and the only other relevant information is that the light became dimmer as the samples were moved through. The first measurement is assumed to be order one and the remaining measurements must be identified by recognizing the repeating pattern of lines.
AardeeHar

Homework Statement

Calculate the grating constant, d, given that theta = 172.01167 degrees, and that lambda = 447.2 nanometers.

2. Homework Equations

d = mλ / sinθ

where m is an integer that refers to the order of diffraction
where λ is the wavelength
where d is the spacing between two slits
where θ is the angle observed

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the equation, but given the fact I have two variables (being m and d) I am unsure of how to solve. How do I determine the order of diffraction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How is that angle defined? That it's greater than 90° seems strange to me.

I'm sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. The central angle is 180 degrees.

AardeeHar said:
I'm sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. The central angle is 180 degrees.
Okay, I believe that answers my question. I was wondering whether the grating was being used in transmission or reflection mode, and how the angle was being specified. So the angle between the projected incident ray and deflected ray is actually 180° - θ.

What is the significance of the variable name sigma? Is there a reason why you've named it sigma rather than lambda?

Sorry, that was my mistake with the name of the greek letter. I've changed it in the original question.

AardeeHar said:
Sorry, that was my mistake with the name of the greek letter. I've changed it in the original question.
Okay, understood. (FYI, you can access a menu of special characters like the Greek letters if you click on the ##\Sigma## icon in the edit panel top bar).

Now I understand your dilemma. Is the problem statement complete in and of itself, or was it posed in some context where we might know something else about the diffraction grating or what was measured?

It was part of a lab. So, all these are "real world" values. The only other information I can see that may be relevant is that the light (we were looking at Helium in a spectrometer) became dimmer as we moved through each individual sample. Beyond that, I don't really have much else to work with.

Okay, since you made the observation you would have noted if there were repeating units of the diffraction pattern before the one you measured the line's angle in, right? If there were no "earlier" orders in evidence then this must be the first order.

gneill said:
Okay, since you made the observation you would have noted if there were repeating units of the diffraction pattern before the one you measured the line's angle in, right? If there were no "earlier" orders in evidence then this must be the first order.

Okay, I believe I understand what you are saying. Since this is my "first" measurement (which it is), it must be order one. That makes sense. I have six remaining measurements (7 total). How can one determine where order "one" ends, and order "two" begins? I very much appreciate your help by the way. :)

AardeeHar said:
Okay, I believe I understand what you are saying. Since this is my "first" measurement (which it is), it must be order one. That makes sense. I have six remaining measurements (7 total). How can one determine where order "one" ends, and order "two" begins? I very much appreciate your help by the way. :)
It's a matter of pattern recognition. The pattern of lines should repeat (color and relative spacing) for each order.

Oh, I see! I didn't realize that. Thank you so much, now I understand.

Related to Finding order of diffraction given angle and wavelength

1. What is the formula for finding the order of diffraction given angle and wavelength?

The formula for finding the order of diffraction is n = (d sinθ)/λ, where n is the order of diffraction, d is the distance between the diffracting elements, θ is the angle of diffraction, and λ is the wavelength of the incident light.

2. How do the angle and wavelength affect the order of diffraction?

The angle and wavelength both play a crucial role in determining the order of diffraction. The angle of diffraction is directly proportional to the order of diffraction, meaning that as the angle increases, so does the order. Similarly, the wavelength is inversely proportional to the order of diffraction, meaning that as the wavelength decreases, the order increases.

3. Can the order of diffraction be negative?

No, the order of diffraction cannot be negative. It is always a positive integer, starting from 1 for the first order of diffraction.

4. What is the significance of the order of diffraction?

The order of diffraction helps to determine the constructive and destructive interference patterns of diffracted light. It also provides information about the spacing of the diffracting elements and the wavelength of the incident light.

5. How can I experimentally determine the order of diffraction?

To experimentally determine the order of diffraction, you can use a diffraction grating or a double-slit apparatus and measure the angle of diffraction for different wavelengths of light. Then, you can use the formula n = (d sinθ)/λ to calculate the order of diffraction for each wavelength. The highest order of diffraction observed will be the maximum order for that particular setup.