Finding derivatives for second order differential equation

In summary, the conversation is about a numerical problem for Matlab involving a circuit and three equations: inductance, voltage over inductance, and current over a condenser. The goal is to derive a second order differential equation by finding the derivative for voltage and substituting it into the current equation. The poster also mentions using the chain rule and needing help with the derivatives.
Thoreau123

Homework Statement

Hello,

My first post here

I have a numerical problem for Matlab but I get stuck with the basic math...

For a circuit I have three equations:

1.Inductance: L=Lo/(1+I^2)
2.Voltage over the inductance: V=L*dI/dt
3.Current over a condensator: I=-C*dV/dt

Homework Equations

From this I should be able to derive the second order differential equation:

4. d2/dt2=2I(dI/dt)^2/(1+I^2)-I(1+I^2)/Lo*C

I know I must find the derivative for V, dV/dt and substitute this into I=-C*dV/dt and this should yield equation 4 but I think my derivatives are all wrong!

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I need help to use the chain rule (i guess?) and finding the derivative for V=L*dI/dt

This is what I got: dV/dt=dI/dt*(-Lo*2I)/(1+I^2)^2+L*d2/dt2*? something is wrong...

Would really appreciate the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thoreau123 said:

Homework Statement

Hello,

My first post here

I have a numerical problem for Matlab but I get stuck with the basic math...

For a circuit I have three equations:

1.Inductance: L=Lo/(1+I^2)
2.Voltage over the inductance: V=L*dI/dt
3.Current over a condensator: I=-C*dV/dt
That's condenser, not condensator. Condensers are usually called capacitors nowadays.

Thoreau123 said:

Homework Equations

From this I should be able to derive the second order differential equation:

4. d2/dt2=2I(dI/dt)^2/(1+I^2)-I(1+I^2)/Lo*C

I know I must find the derivative for V, dV/dt and substitute this into I=-C*dV/dt and this should yield equation 4 but I think my derivatives are all wrong!

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I need help to use the chain rule (i guess?) and finding the derivative for V=L*dI/dt

This is what I got: dV/dt=dI/dt*(-Lo*2I)/(1+I^2)^2+L*d2/dt2*? something is wrong...

Would really appreciate the help!

Related to Finding derivatives for second order differential equation

1. What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of a function. It is used to describe the relationship between a function and its rate of change.

2. How do you find derivatives for a second order differential equation?

To find derivatives for a second order differential equation, you can use the chain rule and product rule to differentiate each term in the equation. You may also need to use other techniques such as integration by parts or substitution.

3. What is the purpose of finding derivatives for a second order differential equation?

The purpose of finding derivatives for a second order differential equation is to better understand the behavior of a function and its rate of change. It can also be used to solve problems in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve rates of change.

4. Can you provide an example of finding derivatives for a second order differential equation?

Yes, an example of finding derivatives for a second order differential equation is using the chain rule to differentiate the equation y'' + 2xy' + y = 0. The first derivative would be y''' + 2y'' + 2xy' + y' = 0 and the second derivative would be y'''' + 4y''' + 2y'' + 2xy' + y' = 0.

5. Are there any tips for finding derivatives for second order differential equations?

Some tips for finding derivatives for second order differential equations include breaking down the equation into smaller parts, using known derivative rules, and practicing with different types of equations. It can also be helpful to use a graphing calculator or other software to check your work.