Taking the derivative of a function of a function

In this case, ##f(x) = x^2/2## and ##g(x) = v(x)##. So ##f'(x) = x## and ##g'(x) = v'(x)##. The chain rule gives you ##\frac d{dx} f(g(x)) = g'(x) f'(g(x))##. In summary, the expression v*(dv/dt) can be simplified to d(v^2/2)/dt by using the chain rule, where f(x) = x^2/2 and g(x) = v(x). This results in the simplified expression of a*v, where a represents acceleration.
ArisMartinez
Summary:: According to Yale’s University PHYS: 200:
v*(dv/dt) = d(v^2/2)/dt

Could someone explain how has he reached that conclusion? He claims to be some standard derivation rules, but I can’t find anything about it.

As much as I can tell: (dv/dt)* v = v’ * v = a* v

thanks!

[Moderator's note: moved from a technical forum.]

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the chain rule? What is ##\dfrac{d}{dt} v(t)^2##?

Likes ArisMartinez
fresh_42 said:
Do you know the chain rule? What is ##\dfrac{d}{dt} v(t)^2##?
I do! But I coudn not see why I had to use the chain rule here. (I see it clearer when I have ie. (cos(x))^sin(x))

but I do now! I’m not used to the physics notation of derivatives. But that was helpful, so thanks a lot.

ArisMartinez said:
Could someone explain how has he reached that conclusion? He claims to be some standard derivation rules, but I can’t find anything about it.
If you're taking the derivative of a function of a function; e.g., something like this: ##\frac d{dx} f(g(x))##, the differentiation rule that should come to mind is the chain rule.

Related to Taking the derivative of a function of a function

1. What is the definition of a derivative?

The derivative of a function is the rate of change of that function at a specific point. It represents the slope of the tangent line to the curve at that point.

2. How do you take the derivative of a function of a function?

To take the derivative of a function of a function, you must use the chain rule. This involves finding the derivative of the outer function, and then multiplying it by the derivative of the inner function.

3. What is the purpose of taking the derivative of a function of a function?

The derivative of a function of a function can help us understand the rate of change of a quantity with respect to another quantity. It is also useful in finding maximum and minimum values of a function, and in optimization problems.

4. Are there any special cases when taking the derivative of a function of a function?

Yes, there are special cases such as when the inner function is a constant, or when the outer function is a power or exponential function. In these cases, the derivative can be found using specific rules.

5. Can you give an example of taking the derivative of a function of a function?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x) = (x^2 + 1)^3. To find the derivative, we use the chain rule and first find the derivative of the outer function, which is 3(x^2 + 1)^2. Then, we multiply it by the derivative of the inner function, which is 2x. Therefore, the derivative of f(x) is 6x(x^2 + 1)^2.