Finding angles of Phi. Very challenging.

• Thread starter Dukethepuke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angles Phi
In summary, the problem given of finding the measures of two angles and their complementary angles in a system of two ropes suspending an object from the ceiling with given tensions and stationary position, does not have a solution that satisfies the conditions for stasis in both the vertical and horizontal components.
Dukethepuke
1) Given: two ropes of negligible weight suspend an object weighing 50N from the ceiling There are two angles of PHI that form from as a measure from the vertical. PHI1 + PHI2= 60°. The tension of the left rope is given to be 80N and the tension of the left rope is given to be 70N. The entire system is stationary.

2) Find the measures of each angle PHI as well as each complimentary θ.

3) I tried to use ƩF=0=T1 + T2 + (-Fg)

∴ 50N = 80N*cos(60-PHI1) + 70N*cos(60-PHI2)

I couldn't think of a way to solve this by hand so I tired to use my Ti-84 calculator's equation solver and got PHI values of 10° and 50°. Logically, this doesn't make sense. My teacher decided to just omit the question, but I am still curious as to how it would actually be done.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 394
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you use ## 60 - \phi_1 ## and ## 60 - \phi_2 ##? Why not simply ##\phi_1## and ##\phi_2##?

Secondly, the equation you got is for the vertical components of the forces. You should obtain one for the horizontal components. That will give you a system of two linear equation for two unknowns, which you can then solve.

It's possible that the given conditions cannot be satisfied and that there is no solution to the problem as given.

Any solution would have to satisfy the conditions for stasis for horizontal and vertical components separately. So set ##\phi_2 = 60° - \phi_1## and use the horizontal force balance to find all solutions for ##\phi_1##. Check to see if any value you found satisfies the vertical force balance. If yes, huzzah! If no, the problem is broken :smile:

voko said:
Why do you use ## 60 - \phi_1 ## and ## 60 - \phi_2 ##? Why not simply ##\phi_1## and ##\phi_2##?

Secondly, the equation you got is for the vertical components of the forces. You should obtain one for the horizontal components. That will give you a system of two linear equation for two unknowns, which you can then solve.

Which would be the horizontal components equation? I'm confused. I don't want to trouble you any further, but could you possibly provide me with the two equations you are referring to? I'm a little frustrated so my mind is unclear.

The tensions in the ropes are vectors. Your general equation is ##\newcommand{b}[1]{\boldsymbol{#1}} \b {T_1} + \b {T_2} + \b {W} = 0 ##, where ## \b {T_1}, \ \b {T_2}, \ \b {W} ## are the left rope's tension, the right rope's tension and the weight. Each of those vectors has two components: vertical (y) and horizontal (x), so that one general equation gives you two equations for the components: $$

T_{1x} + T_{2x} + W_{x} = 0

\\

T_{1y} + T_{2y} + W_{y} = 0

$$ All that you need to do is find out these components, some of which will depend on ##\phi_1## and ##\phi_2##, and solve for ##\phi_1## and ##\phi_2##.

The problem doesn't have a solution that can satisfy the specified input data. No pair of angles summing up to 60 degrees can even balance the vertical force, let alone match the horizontal force balance.

Related to Finding angles of Phi. Very challenging.

1. What is the significance of Phi in mathematics and science?

Phi, also known as the Golden Ratio, is a mathematical constant that is approximately equal to 1.618. It appears frequently in nature and is often considered aesthetically pleasing. In mathematics, it is found in several geometric shapes and can be used to create visually balanced designs. In science, it can be seen in the proportions of the human body, as well as in the growth patterns of plants and animals.

2. How do you find angles of Phi?

To find angles of Phi, you can use several methods depending on the given scenario. One way is to use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. Another method is to use the properties of certain geometric shapes, such as the golden rectangle or the golden triangle. Additionally, the golden ratio can also be found by dividing a line segment into two parts in a specific ratio.

3. What makes finding angles of Phi challenging?

Finding angles of Phi can be challenging because it requires a thorough understanding of mathematical concepts such as trigonometry and geometry. It also involves recognizing patterns and applying them in different scenarios. Furthermore, Phi can be an irrational number, making it difficult to calculate precisely.

4. Can you give an example of a real-life application of finding angles of Phi?

One example of a real-life application of finding angles of Phi is in architecture and design. Many famous landmarks, such as the Parthenon in Greece and the Great Pyramid of Giza, incorporate the golden ratio in their dimensions and proportions. This is believed to create a visually pleasing and harmonious structure.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding angles of Phi?

While there are no shortcuts for finding angles of Phi, there are some formulas and properties that can make the process easier. For instance, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, trigonometric identities, or the properties of similar triangles to solve for angles of Phi. Additionally, memorizing the decimal approximation of the golden ratio, 1.618, can also be helpful in some cases.