Finding a basis of the image of a linear transformation

In summary, the problem asks to find a basis for the image of the function Ψ: Mat2x2(R) -> Mat2x2(R), defined as [a,b;c,d] -> [a+b, a-c; a+c, b-c]. The attempt at a solution involves using the standard basis for Mat2x2(R) and Gaussian elimination, but the result is inconsistent. There is confusion about the correct basis to use for Ψ(u) and the coordinate vectors for Ψ(u) in the standard basis.
WednesdayBass

Homework Statement

Let Ψ: Mat2x2(R) -> Mat2x2(R) be defined as:
[a,b;c,d] -> [a+b, a-c; a+c, b-c]
Find a basis for the image of Ψ.

Homework Equations

None, AFAIK.

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by using the standard basis, B, for Mat2x2(R) to get B [with u in Mat2x2(R)] as [a;b;c;b] and [Ψ]BB as:
[1,1,0,0;
1,0,-1,0;
1,0,1,0;
0,1,-1,0]

And tried to use Gaussian elimination on that but that just gives me an inconsistent result.

Physics news on Phys.org
won't your standard basis be v1 = ([tex]\stackrel{1}{0}[/tex][tex]\stackrel{0}{0}[/tex]) and so on for v2, v3, v4

FanofAFan said:
won't your standard basis be v1 = ([tex]\stackrel{1}{0}[/tex][tex]\stackrel{0}{0}[/tex]) and so on for v2, v3, v4
Yeah, I've used that basis to get the coordinates of the matrix u ([a,b;c,d]) and find the matrix which you multiply that coordinate vector by to get the new matrix. I have no idea if that's heading in the right direction or not...

Is this a problem in a book... also I'm not sure what you are doing wrong but isn't it (a+b)v1 + (a-c)v2 + (a+c)v3 + (b-c)v4

No, it's not from a book, it's from a worksheet I've been given.

(a+b)v1 + ...
is the coordinates for Ψ(u) in the standard basis of Mat2x2(R). So the coordinate vectors are B = [a;b;c;d] and [Ψ(u)]B = [a+b;a-c;a+c;b-c] which is where I got the 4x4 matrix.

Related to Finding a basis of the image of a linear transformation

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves the basic structure of the original space.

2. Why is finding a basis of the image important in linear algebra?

Finding a basis of the image of a linear transformation allows us to understand the range of the transformation and how it maps vectors from the input space to the output space. It also helps us to determine the dimension of the image, which is a fundamental concept in linear algebra.

3. How do you find a basis of the image of a linear transformation?

To find a basis of the image of a linear transformation, we can use the following steps:

1. Find the matrix representation of the linear transformation.
  2. Reduce the matrix to echelon form.
  3. Identify the pivot columns in the reduced matrix.
  4. The columns of the original matrix corresponding to the pivot columns form a basis for the image of the linear transformation.

4. Can a linear transformation have more than one basis for its image?

Yes, a linear transformation can have multiple bases for its image. However, all bases will have the same number of vectors, which is equal to the dimension of the image.

5. How is finding a basis of the image of a linear transformation related to the rank of a matrix?

The rank of a matrix is equal to the dimension of its column space, which is also equal to the dimension of the image of the corresponding linear transformation. Therefore, finding a basis of the image is directly related to the rank of the matrix.