Find the frequency in an LRC circuit

In summary, an LRC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of an inductor, resistor, and capacitor connected in either a series or parallel arrangement. The resonant frequency in an LRC circuit can be found using the equation f<sub>0</sub> = 1/(2π√(LC)), and it determines the circuit's greatest response or highest amplitude. The value of the inductor or capacitor directly affects the resonant frequency, and factors such as component quality and external interference can affect its accuracy.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
w=w0^2 - alpha^2
and then take the square root of this.

But I keep getting a negative number and I can't put this under the root symbol. I remeber he discussed this in class but I can't find it in my notes. How do I deal with the negative so I can find the frequency?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not all RLC circuits will oscillate. If R, L, & C are such that
alpha > w0
you get the situation you are describing.

The frequency in an LRC circuit can be found using the formula w=w0^2 - alpha^2, where w0 is the resonant frequency and alpha is the damping factor. However, if you are getting a negative number when plugging in the values for w0 and alpha, it means that the circuit is overdamped and there is no resonant frequency. In this case, the square root cannot be taken and the frequency cannot be calculated using this formula.

To deal with the negative number, you can try using a different formula that takes into account the overdamped condition, such as w=alpha - sqrt(alpha^2 - w0^2). Alternatively, you can also try adjusting the values of w0 and alpha to see if you can get a positive number that can be used in the original formula. If you are still unsure, I recommend consulting your notes or asking your professor for clarification. It is important to understand the concept of overdamping and how it affects the frequency calculation in an LRC circuit.

Related to Find the frequency in an LRC circuit

1. What is an LRC circuit?

An LRC circuit is a type of electrical circuit consisting of an inductor (L), a resistor (R), and a capacitor (C). These three components are connected in a series or parallel arrangement and work together to create a resonant frequency.

2. How do you find the resonant frequency in an LRC circuit?

The resonant frequency in an LRC circuit can be found by using the equation f0 = 1/(2π√(LC)), where f0 is the resonant frequency, L is the inductance in Henries, and C is the capacitance in Farads.

3. What is the importance of finding the resonant frequency in an LRC circuit?

Finding the resonant frequency in an LRC circuit is important because it determines the frequency at which the circuit will have the greatest response or the highest amplitude. This can be useful in applications such as radio communication and filtering.

4. How does the value of the inductor or capacitor affect the resonant frequency in an LRC circuit?

The resonant frequency in an LRC circuit is directly proportional to the square root of the product of the inductance and capacitance values. This means that increasing the value of either the inductor or capacitor will result in a higher resonant frequency.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the resonant frequency in an LRC circuit?

The accuracy of the resonant frequency in an LRC circuit can be affected by factors such as the quality of the components, external interference, and variations in the circuit's environment. It is important to use high-quality components and shield the circuit from external factors to ensure accurate results.