LRC Circuit: Frequency of Oscillation determined by R

In summary, you need to add 1% resistance to a 340 mH, 2200 pF LC circuit to change the oscillator's frequency by 0.10 percent. However, if you try to solve for the new frequency without first calculating K, you get an answer that is off by a factor of 2.
jamesbiomed

Homework Statement

How much resistance must be added to a pure LC circuit (L = 340 mH, C = 2200 pF) to change the oscillator's frequency by 0.10 percent?

Will the frequency be increased or decreased?

Homework Equations

I'm assuming critical damping: R^2=4L/C, w=((1/LC)-R^2/(4L^2))^1/2

With no R: w=(1/(LC))^1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been at this for a few hours :/ I'm letting w stand in for frequency since w=2pif the percent change needed for f should be the same for w (I hope). I've tried several approaches:

First, I tried w=(1/LC)^1/2 to get w. Then multiplied w by .001 to get .1%. Then made an equation: w-((1/LC)-R^2/(4L^2))^1/2=.001w

That didn't work, but the answer was close to the given one.

I also tried simply setting .001w=(1/LC-R^2/2l^2)^1/2 and that answer was further off.

If I'm missing anything or you need information I'd be happy to give it I'm really enthusiastic to get this done. Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The angular frequency of a damped oscillator is

[tex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{1}{LC}-\left(\frac{R}{2L}\right)^2}[/tex]

Your first approach is correct, but it would be easier to write ω=K√(1/LC). How much is K? less then 1 or greater then 1? Then you can square both sides. Do it symbolically, do not evaluate. ehild

Last edited:
Hey echild. The problem was I wasn't squaring k, just plugging it in after the fact.

K is less than one, so the frequency should be decreased.

For anyone with same problem:
w' is .1 % w.

w'=k(1/LC)^1/2=> (w')^2=k^2/LC=>(w')^2=(.001)^2/(LC) so omega is the square root of that.

Then w-(w^2+(R/2L)^2)^1/2=w'. Solve for R:

R=(((w-w')^2-w^2)4L^2)^1/2. That solved it.

Thank you!

I meant that the new angular frequency is 0.999 ω0, where ω0=1/√(LC).

So
[tex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{1}{LC}-\left(\frac{R}{2L}\right)^2}=0.999\sqrt{\frac{1}{LC}}[/tex]

Squaring both sides:[tex]\frac{1}{LC}-\left(\frac{R}{2L}\right)^2=0.998\frac{1}{LC}[/tex]

[tex]0.002\frac{1}{LC}=\left(\frac{R}{2L}\right)^2[/tex]

ehild

I understand your frustration and the effort you have put into finding a solution. However, I would suggest approaching this problem using the formula for angular frequency, w = 1/sqrt(LC), where L is in henries and C is in farads. This will give you the natural frequency of the LC circuit without any resistance.

To find the change in frequency by 0.10%, you can use the formula w' = w + 0.001w, where w' is the new frequency and w is the natural frequency. Then, you can plug in the given values of L and C to solve for w' and get the new frequency.

To find the amount of resistance needed, you can use the formula R = sqrt(4L/w'^2 - 4L/w^2). This will give you the resistance needed to change the frequency by 0.10%.

As for whether the frequency will be increased or decreased, it will depend on the initial frequency of the circuit. If the initial frequency is higher than the natural frequency, then the added resistance will decrease the frequency. If the initial frequency is lower than the natural frequency, then the added resistance will increase the frequency.

I hope this helps and good luck with your homework!

Related to LRC Circuit: Frequency of Oscillation determined by R

1. What is an LRC circuit?

An LRC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains inductors, resistors, and capacitors in a series or parallel configuration. These components work together to store and release energy, creating oscillations or "ringing" in the circuit.

2. How does the frequency of oscillation in an LRC circuit depend on R?

The frequency of oscillation in an LRC circuit is determined by the value of R, or the resistance, in the circuit. As R increases, the frequency of oscillation decreases, and vice versa. This is because R affects the rate at which energy is dissipated in the circuit, which in turn affects the period of the oscillation.

3. What is the formula for calculating the frequency of oscillation in an LRC circuit?

The formula for calculating the frequency of oscillation in an LRC circuit is: f = 1 / (2π√(LC)), where f is the frequency in Hertz, L is the inductance in Henrys, and C is the capacitance in Farads. This formula assumes that the resistance (R) is small enough to be negligible.

4. How can the frequency of oscillation in an LRC circuit be measured?

The frequency of oscillation in an LRC circuit can be measured using a frequency meter or oscilloscope. These instruments detect and display the oscillations in the circuit, allowing the frequency to be determined. Alternatively, the frequency can be calculated using the formula mentioned in question 3.

5. Can the frequency of oscillation in an LRC circuit be changed?

Yes, the frequency of oscillation in an LRC circuit can be changed by altering the values of the components in the circuit. For example, increasing the capacitance or inductance will decrease the frequency, while decreasing the capacitance or inductance will increase the frequency. Additionally, changing the resistance will also affect the frequency, as discussed in question 2.