Find Currents I1 and I2 in an Electric Circuit

In summary, Kirchhoff's Voltage Law states that the voltage across a resistor is the sum of the currents through the resistor and the resistance of the circuit. Kirchhoff's Current Law states that the current through a resistor is the sum of the currents through the resistor and the resistance of the circuit divided by the resistance of the circuit.
Harshna

Homework Statement

I need to find the currents I1 and I2 in the attached image, but am having some difficulties grasping the concepts. I am given E(t) = 338sin(t) as well as values for R, L and C. I think I know what I need to use but I am not sure how to put it all together

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff’s Voltage Law
Kirchhoff's Current Law
I1 = L d2I/dt2 + R dI/dt + I/c = E(t)
I2 = R dI/dt + I/C

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried a bunch of things but I don't think any of them are right

Attachments

• Circuit.JPG
    Circuit.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 513
Physics news on Phys.org
What are the values of R, L and C?
Harshna said:
I1 = L d2I/dt2 + R dI/dt + I/c = E(t)
I2 = R dI/dt + I/C
These equations are incorrect.
But, you don't have use DEs unless you want a complete time-domain solution (transient+steady state). You only need steady state currents here, so use phasor algebra.
Harshna said:
I have tried a bunch of things but I don't think any of them are right
You need to show what you've tried.

Hi cnh1995,

R = 5 Ohms, L = 1 Henry, C = 0.02 Farad

Thanks - unfortunately Lecturer said that we have to use differential equations.

I have tried solving with differential equations to find I(t) - but this doesn't really find the answer

Which course is this assignment from? If it is from ac circuits course, I am sure you don't need DEs at all.
Harshna said:
Hi cnh1995,

R = 5 Ohms, L = 1 Henry, C = 0.02 Farad

Thanks - unfortunately Lecturer said that we have to use differential equations.

I have tried solving with differential equations to find I(t) - but this doesn't really find the answer
You'll have second order DEs with two variables. It would get very complicated.
The phasor approach will take less than five steps to find the (steady state) currents.

Related to Find Currents I1 and I2 in an Electric Circuit

1. What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a closed path or loop through which an electric current can flow. It consists of a power source, conductors, and loads such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors.

2. How do you find currents in an electric circuit?

To find currents in an electric circuit, you can use Ohm's Law (V=IR) and Kirchhoff's Circuit Laws (KCL and KVL). You will need to know the values of the voltage, resistance, and the layout of the circuit to calculate the currents using these laws.

3. What is I1 and I2 in an electric circuit?

I1 and I2 refer to the individual currents flowing through different branches in a circuit. I1 represents the current flowing through one branch and I2 represents the current flowing through another branch. These currents can be calculated using Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Circuit Laws.

4. How are currents distributed in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the total current is divided between the branches based on the resistance of each branch. The branch with the lower resistance will have a higher current, while the branch with the higher resistance will have a lower current. The sum of the individual currents in each branch will equal the total current in the circuit.

5. Can the currents in an electric circuit change over time?

Yes, the currents in an electric circuit can change over time. This can occur due to changes in the circuit components, such as resistors heating up or capacitors charging and discharging. It can also happen due to changes in the power source, such as fluctuations in voltage.