Financial Aid for 2nd Degree Help?

In summary, "Financial Aid for 2nd Degree Help" refers to financial assistance provided to students pursuing a second undergraduate degree. Eligibility for this aid varies by institution, but generally students must have completed a previous undergraduate degree and be enrolled in a second degree program at least half-time. There are several types of financial aid available for 2nd degree students, including grants, scholarships, loans, and work-study programs. To apply, students must complete the FAFSA and check with their school's financial aid office for any additional requirements. It is possible to receive "Financial Aid for 2nd Degree Help" even if you have student loans from your previous degree, but the amount you can borrow may be limited. It is important
benw315
Hey All,

To start out with, I have a degree in Biology, emphasis Microbiology from MNSU Mankato that I received in 2010. I'm working for a good biotech company but am going back to school this fall for Mechanical Engineering. Aerospace engineering is absolutely fascinating to me. Biomedical is as well but not to the same extent... yet. I have set myself up well for the biomedical route (although at this point all of engineering seems very interesting to me) so figured I will go back for a 2nd BS.

My goal is a 3.5 GPA for my 2nd degree. I do not think I can get this working while in school (only summers) but apparently I'm inelligible for FAFSA aid.

Where do you all go for your private loans? Searches on google turn up junk. I've heard a couple names from friends but both have pros and cons.

I'm not sure if this forum really deals with these questions but it is a very intelligent forum with several people who I'm sure are in the same boat as me. My girlfriend of 4 years has a sister who is now a dentist and took loans out through Chase through dental school and this is also who I am leaning towards.

Thank you for your help and time. It gets to be quite tiring when you spend 3 out of your 5 hours home after work looking at schooling, scheduling, and financial aid.

Ben

Physics news on Phys.org
jamin

Hello Benjamin,

It's great to hear that you are pursuing a second degree in mechanical engineering and that you have a strong interest in aerospace engineering. I can definitely understand the fascination and excitement that comes with exploring new fields and expanding your knowledge.

In terms of your question about private loans, I would first recommend looking into scholarships and grants that may be available to you. Many organizations and companies offer funding for students pursuing STEM degrees, and you may be eligible for some of these opportunities. Additionally, some schools have their own financial aid options for students in your situation.

If you do decide to take out a private loan, it's important to thoroughly research and compare different lenders to find the best option for you. Some factors to consider include interest rates, repayment terms, and any fees associated with the loan. It's also a good idea to talk to friends or family members who have taken out loans and get their recommendations.

I understand that navigating the financial aspect of furthering your education can be overwhelming, but I encourage you to keep pushing forward and exploring all of your options. With hard work and determination, I have no doubt that you will achieve your goal of a 3.5 GPA and ultimately find success in your chosen field. Best of luck to you in your academic journey!

Related to Financial Aid for 2nd Degree Help?

What is "Financial Aid for 2nd Degree Help?"

"Financial Aid for 2nd Degree Help" refers to financial assistance provided to students pursuing a second undergraduate degree. This aid can come in the form of grants, scholarships, loans, or work-study programs.

Who is eligible for "Financial Aid for 2nd Degree Help?"

Eligibility for "Financial Aid for 2nd Degree Help" varies by institution, but generally students must have completed a previous undergraduate degree and be enrolled in a second degree program at least half-time. Some programs may also have specific GPA requirements.

What types of financial aid are available for 2nd degree students?

There are several types of financial aid available for 2nd degree students, including federal grants, state grants, scholarships, federal loans, and work-study programs. It is important to research and apply for all potential sources of aid to maximize funding opportunities.

How do I apply for "Financial Aid for 2nd Degree Help?"

The first step in applying for "Financial Aid for 2nd Degree Help" is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This will determine your eligibility for federal aid, as well as some state and institutional aid. It is also important to check with your school's financial aid office for any additional application requirements or deadlines.

Can I receive "Financial Aid for 2nd Degree Help" if I already have student loans from my previous degree?

Yes, you may still be eligible for "Financial Aid for 2nd Degree Help" even if you have student loans from your previous degree. However, the amount you can borrow may be limited due to federal loan limits. It is important to carefully consider the amount of debt you are taking on and explore other funding options, such as scholarships and grants, before taking out additional loans.