Finally Some Answers - Alien: Covenant

• Thread starter enorbet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alien
In summary: There are others who feel that way as well.Curiously, on the UHD OLED screen, most of the indoor scenes looked too-obviously like film sets. And the space vehicles looked too-obviously like models, though not quite as bad as the original Star Wars.Now I'm wondering whether watching movies on OLED from a 4K bluray source will ruin them for me. :oldcry:
enorbet
Have you guys seen the trailers yet for Alien: Covenant? While I'm not overly fond of the Horror genre I have to admit that the first time I saw the alien pilot corpse in the original Alien I couldn't help but to want to know more... much more about his/her/its backstory. The newest episode looks like it may finally resolve much of what was hinted at originally and unsatisfying in Prometheus.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just saw the new movie. It was pretty good. What do you mean by "alien pilot corpse"? Both Prometheus and Alien: Covenant should answer most of your questions.

Amrator said:
Just saw the new movie. It was pretty good. What do you mean by "alien pilot corpse"? Both Prometheus and Alien: Covenant should answer most of your questions.
I take it you did not see the original Alien movie.

phinds said:
I take it you did not see the original Alien movie.
No, I did. Is he referring to the Engineer that had its chest ripped open (Presumably from a chestburster)? Because that's what it is, an Engineer (The white humanoids from Prometheus). I don't remember them referring to it as a pilot. Maybe they did, I just don't remember.

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Amrator said:
No, I did. Is he referring to the Engineer that had its chest ripped open (Presumably from a chestburster)? Because that's what it is, an Engineer (The white humanoids from Prometheus). I don't remember them referring to it as a pilot. Maybe they did, I just don't remember.
Ah. I, for some reason, had the immediate impression that it was the pilot. There might even have BEEN a reason but I've forgotten.

In the new one you'll see that most of the "corpse" was the "armor" the Engineers wore. (You can see an Engineer putting it on in online footage I saw yesterday somewhere.)

Likes Amrator
Saw it last night and was immensely disappointed. The stupidity of space scientists in this one is off the charts ridiculous. The film couldn't decide if it wanted to tell the possibly interesting back story of the series or be the classic horror thriller. It failed in both aspects. Watered down on both ends. Not scary either. Fassbender is a great character, everyone else forgettable.

And the crew jumps out of their shuttle onto a world they know nothing about, in soft clothes. No hazmat suits, no space suits. "Infect me! Infect me!"

Likes DennisN and Greg Bernhardt
Amrator said:
I have the impression that it is the image at 47:15 of this video ?

I just watched "Alien: Covenant" on a new OLED screen from a bluray player.

Wow -- what a crap experience that was! :oldruck:

There I was, hoping for a follow-on from Prometheus, with Noomi Rapace continuing her "journey". But instead it's little more than a remake of the first Alien film, with names and places changed.

I wonder... am I the only one who thinks the dialogue is seriously weak?

Curiously, on the UHD OLED screen, most of the indoor scenes looked too-obviously like film sets. And the space vehicles looked too-obviously like models, though not quite as bad as the original Star Wars.

Now I'm wondering whether watching movies on OLED from a 4K bluray source will ruin them for me. :oldcry:

Has anyone else had this kind of experience with UHD?

strangerep said:
I just watched "Alien: Covenant" on a new OLED screen from a bluray player.
My condolences.

strangerep said:
Wow -- what a crap experience that was! :oldruck:
I agree. I almost feel asleep halfway through "Alien: Pollutant".

strangerep said:
I wonder... am I the only one who thinks the dialogue is seriously weak?
No.

Likes strangerep

Related to Finally Some Answers - Alien: Covenant

1. What is the plot of "Alien: Covenant"?

The movie takes place 10 years after the events of "Prometheus" and follows the crew of the colony ship Covenant as they discover a seemingly perfect world for colonization. However, they soon realize that the planet is actually inhabited by dangerous creatures and must fight for their survival.

2. How does "Alien: Covenant" connect to the previous films in the franchise?

"Alien: Covenant" serves as a sequel to "Prometheus" and a prequel to the original "Alien" film. It explores the origins of the xenomorphs and connects the events of the two films through the character of David, an android created by the Weyland Corporation.

3. Who are the main characters in "Alien: Covenant"?

The main characters in the film include the crew of the Covenant ship, led by Captain Oram and his wife Daniels. Other notable characters include androids David and Walter, as well as the mysterious Engineer, who was introduced in "Prometheus".

4. What are the themes explored in "Alien: Covenant"?

Some of the main themes in the film include creation and destruction, the dangers of playing god, and the consequences of our actions. It also delves into themes of survival, sacrifice, and the blurred lines between human and artificial intelligence.

5. Is there a post-credits scene in "Alien: Covenant"?

Yes, there is a post-credits scene in the film that further connects it to the previous films in the franchise. It features a character from the original "Alien" film and hints at what may come next in the series.