Fermi Question - quantum tunnelling of a person

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of calculating the probability of a person quantum mechanically tunnelling through a wall. One approach suggested is to use the de Broglie wavelength of the person, but there is uncertainty about how to construct a wavefunction for the person and estimate the potential barrier. The possibility of using a plane wave model is also mentioned, but there is uncertainty about the height of the potential barrier. Ultimately, the conversation ends with the suggestion to use the information provided in a given source for the answer.
PsiPhi

Homework Statement

The probability of a person quantum mechanically tunnelling through a wall

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not too sure how to approach this problem, I calculated the de Broglie wavelength of the person (mass = 60kg, velocity = 30 m/s; These values are made up by me). But then I get stuck, what can I infer from the wavelength that is calculated. I looked at the barrier potential problem, and I'm not sure how to construct a wavefunction for the person (if it is even possible? I thought of using the plane wave solution and calculating the momentum and wavenumber that appears in the complex exponential term), also the wall would represent the barrier potential (would this potential tend to infinity? like the infinite square well problem?)

My brain is melting...

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess that you have to estimate the probability for EACH single atom to tunnel through the potential barrier and then multiply all the probabilities together and get something like almost 0. However, I don't know how to calculate the energy for each atom and how many atoms our body has.

Sounds reasonably straightforward to use a plane wave type tunneling problem as a model. But I have no clue how you are supposed to estimate the height of the potential barrier. If it's infinity, there is no tunneling.

I know this is cheating but I found the answer here http://physuna.phs.uc.edu/suranyi/Modern_physics/Lecture_Notes/modern_physics6.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Fermi Question - quantum tunnelling of a person

1. What is quantum tunnelling of a person?

Quantum tunnelling of a person refers to the theoretical concept in quantum mechanics where a person has a very small probability of being able to pass through a barrier, such as a wall or a closed door, without actually physically interacting with it.

2. Is quantum tunnelling of a person possible?

According to quantum mechanics, quantum tunnelling is a possible phenomenon. However, the probability of a person being able to quantum tunnel is extremely small and has never been observed in real life.

3. How does quantum tunnelling of a person occur?

Quantum tunnelling of a person occurs when the person's wave function, which describes their location and momentum, has a small probability of overlapping with the barrier they are attempting to pass through. This allows for a small chance of the person "tunnelling" through the barrier.

4. Can quantum tunnelling of a person be controlled or manipulated?

Currently, there is no known way to control or manipulate quantum tunnelling of a person. It is a random and unpredictable event governed by the laws of quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any practical applications of quantum tunnelling of a person?

While there are currently no known practical applications of quantum tunnelling of a person, the concept plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as quantum computing and tunneling microscopes, which use the same principles to observe and manipulate particles at a quantum level.