Faster Than Light Travel, Theories.

In summary: Third, if we could somehow create a link between two QS's (quantum singularities) then the mass of either would be pulled towards the other. This is where the "Jump" comes in. The ship is temporarily "Jumped" away from our universe into the other QS, and then pulled back.The Fourth and final part is that the effect of the QS's on our universe is temporary. Once the ship emerges from the "Jump" the mass is re-attracted to our universe and everything resumes as normal.This is a Hard Science Fiction idea that I am trying to make a story around.
Although it occurred to me that if the ship was the source of the Laser for the laser "sails" Would this not slow the ship down?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nimbian said:
Although it occurred to me that if the ship was the source of the Laser for the laser "sails" Would this not slow the ship down?
Minutely; photon rockets are one of the worst forms in terms of thrust and the sails could be incredibly light.

Also it wouldn't necessarily have to keep it up. Throwing in some massive handwavium and magicking up a rocket capable of getting to near C without more fuel than the mass of the galaxy for most of the acceleration it's going slow enough to detect and avoid anything in the way. Once it starts getting up to speed it can push some sail shields ahead but once it reaches cruising speed it might as well turn them off as well.

Ryan_m_b said:
Also it wouldn't necessarily have to keep it up. Throwing in some massive handwavium and magicking up a rocket capable of getting to near C without more fuel than the mass of the galaxy for most of the acceleration it's going slow enough to detect and avoid anything in the way.

While your right on the acceleration and being able to dodge things, at least if they are detected sufficiently in advanced, and they likely would be. How does that pertain to FTL?

Also with your permission I'm going to nic some of this conversation for my novel/setting

Nimbian said:
While your right on the acceleration and being able to dodge things, at least if they are detected sufficiently in advanced, and they likely would be. How does that pertain to FTL?
Sorry it doesn't :redface: lol. We got side tracked onto this near light speed travel discussion because of my post here responding to this post.
Nimbian said:
Also with your permission I'm going to nic some of this conversation for my novel/setting
By all means :smile: