Fascinating Questions on History and Inventions

• History
  • Thread starter marlon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    History
In summary: Beethoven7) What was Coca-Cola originally used for ?Medicine8) Who invented the Volkswagen and who ordered the construction of this car ?Ferdinand Porsche9) Who was asked to become the first president of Isreal but declined the offer?Albert Einstein10) Which actor refused the academy award for best actor because of the US-policy against native-americans...Marlon Brando
marlon
Here are some nice questions :

1) who discovered the boold-circulation and how it works ?

2) Who perfomed the first heart-transplantation ?

3) Who invented the sissors ??

4) Who invented the word assassination ?

5) Who invented the heliocentrism ?

6) Who dedicated a symphony to Napoléon Bonaparte but later publically changed his/here mind when Napoléon crowned himself to emperor ?

7) What was Coca-Cola originally used for ? (yes, you had to drink it, so that is not a valid answer)

8) Who invented the Volkswagen and who ordered the construction of this car ?

9) Who was asked to become the first president of Isreal but declined the offer?

10) And which actor refused the academy award for best actor because of the US-policy against native-americans...

regards
marlon

Science news on Phys.org
2) Who perfomed the first heart-transplantation ? - Dr. Barnard

5) Copernicus, I'll guess.

8b) Hitler. Don't know the answer to 8a)

7.) Coca-Cola was originally mouthwash

I know the answer to 4.) too!

Two very separate questions. Hint: Hitler was not an engineer.

10) Marlon Brando.

I also might know the answer to 5, but I'm not sure I remember his name right. His theory is the one that inspired Copernicus.

4) Shakespeare.

1) Harvey, I think

Adam said:
5) Copernicus, I'll guess.

No , he "stole " it from someone , yeah he really did. I am not trying to be interesting

marlon, who always knows the truth

Adam said:
Two very separate questions. Hint: Hitler was not an engineer.

Ahh, i did not know that :-p :-p

It appears to me, dear Adam, you do not know the concept of a quiz :biggrin:

marlon, who is becoming an engineer

Evo said:
2) Who perfomed the first heart-transplantation ? - Dr. Barnard

right on Evo :smile:

Questions 1,2,4,7,8b and 10 were answered correctly.

The guy of heliocentrism was a greek scientist, who also was not happy with the work of Ptolemaeus and his deferents and epicycles...

I don't think this is the answer, so I'll post it, but didn't the Pythagorean school propose something that had a leats superficial simlairites with heliocentrism?

marlon said:
Questions 1,2,4,7,8b and 10 were answered correctly.

The guy of heliocentrism was a greek scientist, who also was not happy with the work of Ptolemaeus and his deferents and epicycles...

I always thought Assassination was an Islamic deriviation after Hashashin, which were a group of people that smoked dope and killed people in ancient times... obviously I am wrong but at least I got my question right!

5) Aristarchus of Samos. Of the ancient greek school

jimmy p said:
I always thought Assassination was an Islamic deriviation after Hashashin, which were a group of people that smoked dope and killed people in ancient times... obviously I am wrong but at least I got my question right!

The word 'Assasin' does have it's etymology in a certain Islamic sect (tho' IIRC the dope smoking and the killing people were slight exaggerations), but the word 'assasination was coiend by Shakespeare in one of his plays.

jcsd said:
The word 'Assasin' does have it's etymology in a certain Islamic sect (tho' IIRC the dope smoking and the killing people were slight exaggerations), but the word 'assasination was coiend by Shakespeare in one of his plays.

My bad then. :-p

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I missed it all ...

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

jcsd said:

If I remember this correctly, Shakespeare was the first to use the word 'assassination' for the act performed by an assassin. The word 'assassin' itself was in sporadic use at the time and does derive from the hashashins (the Nizariyas, a sub-sect of the Shia) of 11th Century Iran and Syria. I think, the exploits of the hashashins were first brought to the West through the memoirs of Marco Polo. Latin switched the 'sh' sound for the 's' sound.

Shakespeare uses 'assassination' first in end of Act I of Macbeth, where Lady Macbeth is convincing Macbeth to kill Banquo. In this same scene, Shakespeare also coined the phrase "be-all and end-all".

(I have this in a book at home...and I'll check to make sure this is not grossly incorrect)

Last edited:
Ha ha...#6 is not taken yet. It's Beethoven, of course ! :biggrin:

Neither is #9...interestingly, this same question is in a Quiz I put up in the Quizzes section. <though it was in a solved example>

Last edited:
meteor said:

correct. :smile:

marlon

marlon said:
Here are some nice questions :

9) Who was asked to become the first president of Isreal but declined the offer?

regards
marlon

This was in 1948, so i am not really sure if this person would be the FIRST president of Isreal.
If i am mistaking, please accept my apologies. :blushing: :cry:

But this definitely took place in 1948

regards
marlon

Gokul43201 said:
Ha ha...#6 is not taken yet. It's Beethoven, of course ! :biggrin:

Neither is #9...interestingly, this same question is in a Quiz I put up in the Quizzes section. <though it was in a solved example>

yes Beethoven it was...

we all know the person of question 9, trust me. He was a superstar (well, euuhh to some extent :rolleyes: )

regards
marlon

Another anecdote about #9: Supposedly someone in the provisional government of Israel asked the question, "What shall we do if he accepts our offer?"--for he was not known as a particularly worldly individual.

Last edited:
marlon said:
This was in 1948, so i am not really sure if this person would be the FIRST president of Isreal.
If i am mistaking, please accept my apologies. :blushing: :cry:

But this definitely took place in 1948

regards
marlon

I think it was 1952, just after Chaim Weizmann's death. So it should be 'second President'.

1 galen the classic roman Dr

8a Dr porsche

1) who discovered the boold-circulation and how it works ?

WIlliam Harvey

2) Who perfomed the first heart-transplantation ?

Some African-American whose name I don't recall.

3) Who invented the sissors ??

Don't know =/

4) Who invented the word assassination ?

Don't know

5) Who invented the heliocentrism ?

A Greek before Copernicus.

6) Who dedicated a symphony to Napoléon Bonaparte but later publically changed his/here mind when Napoléon crowned himself to emperor ?

dunno
7) What was Coca-Cola originally used for ? (yes, you had to drink it, so that is not a valid answer)

don't care

don't care

Einstein

10) And which actor refused the academy award for best actor because of the US-policy against native-americans...

don't care

ray b said:
1 galen the classic roman Dr

8a Dr porsche

correct

marlon

the answer to question 9 is Albert Einstein...

It was Da Vinci who invented the sissors (at least as how we know them)

regards
marlon

i think everything is solved now
was it as much fun for you as it was for me.
If not, i will not post another quizz. If it was i well get some more nice questions :smile:
at your service :cool:

Nice quiz marlon, we'd love another one. :smile:

meteor said:

Aarrgh! Couldn't get that name out right, no matter how hard I tried. Arcturus, Hectarchus, geez, tried about every combination I could think of and couldn't remember his name.

Scissors (as we know them) have been around for a couple of thousand years. Long before Da Vinci.

Adam said:
Scissors (as we know them) have been around for a couple of thousand years. Long before Da Vinci.

you again :biggrin:

No, no, you are wrong

Adam, i know this

i was referring to scissors as WE know them. Not just some object to cut things

<h2>1. What is the oldest invention known to mankind?</h2><p>The oldest known invention is the stone tools, which date back to 2.5 million years ago. These tools were used by early humans for hunting, cutting, and scraping.</p><h2>2. Who invented the wheel and when?</h2><p>The wheel was invented by the Sumerians in Mesopotamia around 3500 BC. However, it is believed that the concept of the wheel may have originated in other civilizations such as the ancient Egyptians and the Indus Valley Civilization.</p><h2>3. What is the significance of the invention of the printing press?</h2><p>The invention of the printing press by Johannes Gutenberg in the 15th century revolutionized the way information was shared and disseminated. It made books and other written materials more accessible, leading to an increase in literacy and the spread of knowledge.</p><h2>4. Who is credited with the invention of electricity?</h2><p>While electricity has been known since ancient times, it was not until the 18th and 19th centuries that scientists such as Benjamin Franklin, Alessandro Volta, and Michael Faraday made significant contributions to our understanding and use of electricity.</p><h2>5. How did the Industrial Revolution impact society?</h2><p>The Industrial Revolution, which began in the 18th century, brought about significant changes in society and the economy. It led to the mechanization of production, the growth of factories, and the development of new technologies, resulting in increased productivity and urbanization. However, it also had negative effects such as poor working conditions and widening economic inequalities.</p>

Related to Fascinating Questions on History and Inventions

1. What is the oldest invention known to mankind?

The oldest known invention is the stone tools, which date back to 2.5 million years ago. These tools were used by early humans for hunting, cutting, and scraping.

2. Who invented the wheel and when?

The wheel was invented by the Sumerians in Mesopotamia around 3500 BC. However, it is believed that the concept of the wheel may have originated in other civilizations such as the ancient Egyptians and the Indus Valley Civilization.

3. What is the significance of the invention of the printing press?

The invention of the printing press by Johannes Gutenberg in the 15th century revolutionized the way information was shared and disseminated. It made books and other written materials more accessible, leading to an increase in literacy and the spread of knowledge.

4. Who is credited with the invention of electricity?

While electricity has been known since ancient times, it was not until the 18th and 19th centuries that scientists such as Benjamin Franklin, Alessandro Volta, and Michael Faraday made significant contributions to our understanding and use of electricity.

5. How did the Industrial Revolution impact society?

The Industrial Revolution, which began in the 18th century, brought about significant changes in society and the economy. It led to the mechanization of production, the growth of factories, and the development of new technologies, resulting in increased productivity and urbanization. However, it also had negative effects such as poor working conditions and widening economic inequalities.

Back