Failing a technical course on purpose

In summary, the speaker is struggling to keep up with their technical courses and is considering giving up on their probability class. They are seeking advice on whether to take the class pass/fail and how it will affect their GPA and future job prospects. They are advised to speak with their advisor and professor for guidance.
freshman2013
I think I bit off more than I could chew and I'm struggling to keep up with my technical courses this semester. Thus, I'm thinking about just giving up on my probability class, since it's lower in priority than doing in well in my CS classes, as a CS major. The class is incredibly interesting, but I'm already really behind in all my tech courses and I fear crashing and burning all of them, which is why I'm considering this course of action. It's already past the drop deadline and I'll definitely be petitioning for a late drop, but assuming I can't get that, should I just take that class Pass/Fail and fail it on purpose without it affecting my GPA? How bad would a Fail look on my transcript for a technical? Should I bring it up when searching for internships next summer, and should I be worried about employers questioning it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check with the attendance or counseling office or admissions & records office of the details to your second option (grade option change to Pass/NoPass, or whatever is near to this). Many institutions and employers may question an F grade.

I would strongly advise against it.

I would recommend speaking with your advisor. As soon as they are available. She or he has most likely advised many students in exactly the same situation as yours, and they know you and the options available to you at your institution. I wish you the best.

jason

My advice is to talk to your professor about this. A grade of F looks terrible and lowers your GPA. If the pass/fail option means the grade won't count in your GPA then the F will still look very bad. See what it will take to get a passing grade.

Related to Failing a technical course on purpose

What is the purpose of failing a technical course on purpose?

The purpose of failing a technical course on purpose could vary from person to person. Some may do it as a way to drop the course without affecting their overall GPA, while others may do it to retake the course and improve their understanding of the subject matter.

Is it ethical to fail a technical course on purpose?

It is not ethical to fail a technical course on purpose. Doing so goes against the academic integrity and values of education. It also takes away a spot in the course from someone who genuinely wants to learn and succeed.

What are the consequences of failing a technical course on purpose?

The consequences of failing a technical course on purpose may include a lower GPA, having to retake the course and pay for it again, and potential damage to one's academic reputation. Additionally, it may also result in disciplinary action from the school.

Are there alternative options to failing a technical course on purpose?

Yes, there are alternative options to failing a technical course on purpose. These include seeking help from a tutor or professor, communicating with the professor about any struggles, and putting in extra effort to improve in the course.

How can I avoid failing a technical course on purpose in the future?

To avoid failing a technical course on purpose in the future, it is important to prioritize your studies and seek help when needed. Stay organized, attend lectures and study regularly, and communicate with your professor if you are struggling. It is also helpful to have a positive attitude and put in effort to understand the material.