Exploring "The Limits of Technology" in a Sci-Fi Story

In summary, a story idea for a sci-fi universe is discussed where a dying race creates a perfect being, Architis, to continue their legacy. The being is equipped with advanced technology and abilities, including the ability to convert matter into energy. However, the plot of the story centers around a rebellious human who kills Architis, but later sacrifices himself to prevent the universe from dying. This idea is reminiscent of Issac Asimov's short story "The Last Question."
GladScientist
I've come up with an idea for a sci-fi story that I'll probably never finish because I'm lazy, but I love the idea.

"In a dying universe, there existed a race of intelligent beings. They absorbed all scientific knowledge, but were unable to prevent their demise. In order to continue their legacy, they used the last of the resources to create God and teleport him into a young universe."

This is a silly question, but what would be the characteristics of a being designed to be as perfect as possible, only limited by physics itself? He has to be roughly man-sized because of their resource limitations and the cost if inter-universal travel. Of course there's no way to define what a "good" characteristic is outside of evolutionary terms, so you'll have to use at least some imagination.

I imagine that it would have a quantum computer for a brain, a carbon nano-tube exoskeleton (or would that be fragile?), and of course some way of converting sunlight into energy.

Is it too farfetched for a machine of that size being able to fly through atmosphere or space Iron Man style? And would it make any sense for it to have an internal mechanism that can convert matter into pure energy? Could it store anti-matter for fuel without risking being destroyed at any moment?

Thanks for the speculations ^.^

Physics news on Phys.org
I think all knowing beings that can create god and send him through a wormhole to another dimension can probably figure out how to safely store antimatter. And if god was wearing an iron man suit I'd find religion yesterday. :) Does sound like a fun story if easy to go overboard with. We have the backstory, what's the plot outline?

Thanks a lot for the post :)

I honestly don't have much of a plot which is why this story is going nowhere, haha. But the central idea is that this being (Architis) is a perfectly just, moral, and competent God who rules over all life in our universe. Human beings, being religious in nature, form a covenant with Him in which they all have computer chips implanted into their brains. These enhance general functions (a calculator inside your brain, etc) but also connect them to Architis.

The protagonist of the story is supposed to be a rebellious human (Bahku) with unusually high intelligence who manages to use his enhanced intelligence to enhance himself further, becomes mad with greed, and eventually kills Architis. Most likely only to sacrifice himself later to prevent the universe from dying as the previous one did.

But, of course, there's the gaping plot hole of "how do you beat the unbeatable?" Other than a cop-out, I think I've hit a dead-end lol.

Related to Exploring "The Limits of Technology" in a Sci-Fi Story

What is the concept of "The Limits of Technology" in a Sci-Fi Story?

The concept of "The Limits of Technology" in a Sci-Fi Story refers to the exploration of the boundaries and consequences of advanced technology in a fictional world. It often involves examining the ethical and moral implications of scientific advancements, as well as the potential dangers and limitations of pushing the boundaries too far.

What makes exploring "The Limits of Technology" an interesting topic in Sci-Fi?

Exploring "The Limits of Technology" in a Sci-Fi Story allows for a thought-provoking examination of the impact of technology on society and the human experience. It also allows for imaginative and creative storytelling, as authors can envision and explore potential future technologies and their effects on the world.

How does the portrayal of technology in Sci-Fi stories reflect our current society?

The portrayal of technology in Sci-Fi stories often reflects current societal issues and concerns, such as the role of artificial intelligence, the consequences of genetic engineering, and the power dynamics of advanced technology. It can serve as a commentary on the potential consequences of our current technological advancements.

What are some common themes in Sci-Fi stories that explore "The Limits of Technology"?

Common themes in Sci-Fi stories that explore "The Limits of Technology" include the dangers of playing god, the consequences of unchecked scientific progress, the blurring of the line between man and machine, and the ethical considerations of manipulating and controlling advanced technology.

How can exploring "The Limits of Technology" in a Sci-Fi Story inspire real-world scientific advancements?

By examining the potential consequences and limitations of advanced technology in a fictional world, Sci-Fi stories can inspire scientists and researchers to consider the ethical and moral implications of their work. It can also spark new ideas and innovations, as well as caution against blindly pursuing scientific progress without considering the potential consequences.