Exploring the Benefits of a 3-2 Engineering Program

In summary, the individual is a high school junior looking for engineering programs in college. They are considering schools such as Syracuse University and RIT, but are concerned about the cost. They are wondering if participating in the 3-2 program at Geneseo, where they can earn two bachelor's degrees in Physics and Aerospace Engineering, would be a good alternative. They are seeking input and knowledge on this option, as well as any advice on their overall route. Another suggestion is to look into SUNY schools with actual engineering programs, such as Stony Brook or Binghamton, or private schools like Clarkson that offer academic-based financial aid. They also inquire about the comparison between RIT's Mechanical Engineering degree with an aerospace option and a true
gawrys111
Hey, I'm a junior is high school and am beginning my college search. I am most interested in engineering. While I am most interested in SU or RIT they are too expensive atleast for my entire undergrad. I am wondering if any of you know how good or beneficial it is to instead go to Geneseo and participate in their 3-2 program(http://www.geneseo.edu/~pogo/3-2Engineering/3-2Engineering.htm) This way I could earn two bachelor degree's. One in Physics from Geneseo and hopefully an Aerospace one from SU. If anyone has any knowldege or experience with this can you please share? Or any input on my route would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
While Geneseo is a really great SUNY, I suggest that you look into one of the other SUNY schools that have an actual engineering program, such as Stony Brook or Binghamton.
Also, some private schools that concentrate primarily on Engineering and related disciplines, such as Clarkson, may give large amounts of academic-based financial aid to well qualified applicants (I'd assume that since you are considering Geneseo, you have decent grades and SAT scores).

I am also wondering if anyone knows how RIT's Mech Eng. degree with aerospace option would size up against a true aerospace eng. degree from a comprable school.

Related to Exploring the Benefits of a 3-2 Engineering Program

What is a 3-2 engineering program?

A 3-2 engineering program is a dual-degree program that allows students to earn a bachelor's degree in a liberal arts or science discipline in three years, followed by a second bachelor's degree in engineering in two additional years. This program is typically offered by liberal arts colleges in partnership with engineering schools.

What are the benefits of a 3-2 engineering program?

There are several benefits to a 3-2 engineering program, including the opportunity to study both technical and non-technical subjects, the ability to earn two degrees in a shorter period of time, and the potential for hands-on experience through internships or co-op programs. Additionally, students in a 3-2 engineering program may have access to a wider range of academic resources and career opportunities.

Is a 3-2 engineering program right for me?

Deciding whether a 3-2 engineering program is the right fit for you depends on your personal interests, goals, and academic strengths. It is important to research and compare different programs to determine if the curriculum, structure, and resources align with your individual needs and aspirations.

Can I transfer into a 3-2 engineering program?

Some 3-2 engineering programs allow students to transfer into the engineering phase after completing their first three years at a different institution. However, this process may vary depending on the specific program and university policies. It is important to carefully review the transfer requirements and speak with an academic advisor before making any decisions.

What career opportunities are available with a 3-2 engineering degree?

Graduates of 3-2 engineering programs are well-equipped for a variety of career paths, including engineering roles in industries such as aerospace, automotive, biotechnology, and more. They may also pursue careers in consulting, research and development, or further education in graduate or professional programs.