Exploring Summer Job Options Before Electrical Engineering Undergrad

In summary, the person is looking for summer jobs that are field related and related to their undergraduate major in electrical engineering. They are looking for something that would fit the bill of a lab technician. They are also looking for a company that has an internship program for engineers.
Enrickey
In Fall 2008, I'm going to start studying for an undergrad in electrical engineering.

I'm getting tired of doing gruntwork for my summer jobs, stuff like painting, being a salesman etc... and I was wondering whether people know about any summer jobs that are somewhat field related that I could look into for this summer.

I realize that I don't have the knowledge to work as a an actual engineer, but I might be able to help with certain things. I'm not straight out of high school as I'm from Quebec and I will have gone through two years of Cegep already (Cegep is kind of like senior year and freshman year combined) so I will have taken E&M, Waves, Mechanics, Calculus 1-3, Linear Algebra, a few Chemistry classes as well as a Mechanical Engineering Physics class which basically involves learning moments, some fluid dynamics and some structural mechanics.

I'm wondering if there's any possibility as far as summer jobs go where I can use my brain a bit. It doesn't have to necessarily be electrical engineering related, but seeing as that's what I'm going into, it would be nice. Something like a lab technician would probably fit the bill.

I'm really just looking to know if anyone can throw out a few places that I could check out. I know a lot of companies have summer internships, or offer something similar to what I'm talking about, but I have no idea where to even start looking.

More specifically, I'm wondering exactly what jobs I might be able to do, what types of companies I should look for and if there are any places that have listings for this kind of stuff.

Physics news on Phys.org
Northrop Grumman has an internship program for engineers. Their Integrated Systems Internship looks for students studying engineering in lots of disciplines. You need to have completed the first year of college though. Here's a link to their program: http://careers.northropgrumman.com/ExternalHorizonsWeb/college/intern_inte.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm looking too,
anything in the areao of Toronto, Mississauga, ( GTA)

Related to Exploring Summer Job Options Before Electrical Engineering Undergrad

1. What are some common summer job options for students interested in pursuing electrical engineering?

Some common summer job options for students interested in electrical engineering include internships, research positions, and part-time jobs in the industry or at a university. These opportunities allow students to gain hands-on experience and develop their skills in the field.

2. How can exploring summer job options benefit a student before starting their electrical engineering undergraduate program?

Exploring summer job options before starting an electrical engineering undergraduate program can provide students with a better understanding of the industry, help them gain practical skills, and give them a competitive edge when applying for jobs after graduation. It can also help students confirm their interest in the field and make more informed decisions about their academic and career paths.

3. Are there any specific skills or qualifications that students should have when applying for summer jobs in the electrical engineering field?

While specific requirements may vary depending on the job, some common skills and qualifications that are valuable for summer jobs in electrical engineering include strong technical knowledge, problem-solving abilities, communication skills, and a willingness to learn. Previous experience or coursework in relevant areas such as math, physics, and computer science can also be beneficial.

4. Is it possible to find summer job opportunities in electrical engineering outside of my local area?

Yes, it is possible to find summer job opportunities in electrical engineering outside of your local area. Many companies and research institutions offer internships and other summer job programs that may require travel or relocation. Additionally, remote work options are becoming increasingly common in the field, allowing students to work on projects from anywhere.

5. Can exploring summer job options help me make connections and network in the electrical engineering industry?

Yes, exploring summer job options can provide students with valuable networking opportunities in the electrical engineering industry. Working in a professional setting allows students to interact with and learn from experienced engineers, build relationships with potential mentors or colleagues, and potentially secure future job opportunities. It is also a chance to showcase their skills and make a positive impression on potential employers.