Exploring Possibilities of Natural Human Flight

In summary, humans can't fly naturally without using machines. Birds have evolved to fly using different methods.
moonknight94
How would you think natural human flight would be possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "natural" and is the context of possibility within or without physics(i.e., reality or fantasy)?

Bandersnatch said:
What do you mean by "natural" and is the context of possibility within or without physics(i.e., reality or fantasy)?
Like how superman can fly without machines he can just fly naturally. And fiction of course but if you think it's possible (like I do) then please feel free to explain :)

Superman violates a number of physical laws when he flies. From conservation of energy and momentum, to fundamental forces interactions. As such his flying is hardly natural.

If you want a human being on Earth to fly in air(other than by falling) without any aids, i.e., "as is", then it's not possible. We have no way of generating enough lift to counteract the gravitational attraction of Earth. We're too heavy and our limbs are too aerodynamic to push enough air mass downwards to keep us afloat.
Look at birds and all the evolutionary changes that were required to allow them to fly. From huge paddle-like upper limbs to catch more air in a stroke, hollow bones to reduce mass, special skeletal structures to attach the flight musculature to, and modified breathing apparatus to maintain the supply of air.

The best we can do is find some denser medium in which the force of buoyancy would suffice. It could be some very dense atmosphere on some other planet, or it could be water on Earth. In both cases a human effectivelly floats, and can "fly" i.e., swim.
Of course, we couldn't/can't breathe then, so it's not a perfect solution either.

Related to Exploring Possibilities of Natural Human Flight

1. How is natural human flight possible?

Natural human flight is possible through the use of wings or flapping wings, similar to birds and other flying animals. Humans can also use gliders or parachutes to achieve flight.

2. What are some limitations to natural human flight?

Some limitations to natural human flight include the strength and muscle power required to continuously flap wings, the need for proper aerodynamics and balance, and the lack of natural adaptations for flying in humans.

3. Can humans achieve sustained flight without any external assistance?

At this time, it is not possible for humans to achieve sustained flight without any external assistance. However, with advancements in technology and further understanding of aerodynamics, this may be possible in the future.

4. How have humans attempted to achieve natural human flight in the past?

In the past, humans have attempted to achieve natural human flight through various methods such as attaching wings to their arms, using wing suits, and creating flying machines inspired by bird flight. However, these attempts have not been successful in achieving sustained flight.

5. What are the potential benefits of natural human flight?

The potential benefits of natural human flight include faster and more efficient transportation, increased accessibility to remote areas, and potential for new forms of sports and recreation. It may also have practical applications in fields such as search and rescue or military operations.