Exploring Functions: Solving for g(x) with Given Points

In summary, Peter G is asking for help with calculating values of g(x) given a graph of f(x). The points A(-1,3), B(0,2), C(1,0), D(2,1), and E(3,5) are given. A second function g(x) is defined as 2f(x-1). Peter G is asking for guidance on how to find g(0), g(1), g(2), and g(3) using the given graph. The expert suggests using the concept of transformations to find the coordinates of g(x) on the graph.
Peter G.
Hi, :smile:

The sketch (attachment) shows part of the graph of y = f (x) which passes through the points:

A (-1,3) B (0,2), C (1,0), D(2,1) and E (3,5)

A second function is defined by g (x) = 2f (x-1)

a) Calculate g (0), g(1), g(2) and g (3)

I am confused about what the question is asking... Could anyone maybe give me a clue/guide with one of the points so I can try and do the rest on my own?

Thanks,
Peter G.

Attachments

• Maths.jpg
    Maths.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 475
Physics news on Phys.org

Think about how g(x) is related to f(x).

eg. g(0) = 2f(-1)

You could use the graph to find f(-1)

so, when g (0), we sub x for 0, giving us: 2f(0-1) = 2f(-1)

Then, I can go to the graph, find the value for y when x = -1 and multiply by 2?

Yep. You could also think about it in terms of transformations; the graph of g(x) is just the graph of f(x) that has been shifted to the right by 1 unit and then stretched parallel to the y-axis by a factor of 2. This means that the point with coordinate (-1,3) becomes (0,6).

Yeah, that was what I thought about first but I am a bit sleepy and for some reason couldn't do it :-p

Thanks a lot,
Peter G.

Related to Exploring Functions: Solving for g(x) with Given Points

1. What are functions in Mathematics?

Functions in Mathematics are a way of expressing the relationship between two variables, where each input (or independent variable) has a unique output (or dependent variable). They are commonly represented as f(x) and can take various forms, such as equations, tables, or graphs.

2. How can functions be helpful in solving homework problems?

Functions can be helpful in solving homework problems by providing a systematic way to approach and understand the relationships between variables. They can also help in making predictions and analyzing data.

3. What are the different types of functions?

There are many different types of functions, including linear, quadratic, exponential, logarithmic, trigonometric, and more. Each type has its own unique characteristics and can be represented in different ways.

4. How can I graph a function?

To graph a function, you can plot points on a coordinate plane using the input and output values. You can also use the slope-intercept form of the equation (y = mx + b) to identify the slope and y-intercept, and then plot those points to create a line.

5. Can functions be used in real-life situations?

Yes, functions can be used in real-life situations to model and analyze relationships between variables. For example, a distance-time function can be used to represent the movement of a car, and an exponential growth function can be used to model the spread of a virus.