How Do You Transform the Graph of f(x) = 3x - 2 to g(x) = 6x + 1?

In summary, the function of f is given by f(x) = 3x - 2, where x is part of a set of real numbers. The combination of geometrical transformations needed to obtain the graph of g(x) = 6x + 1 from the graph of f is a stretch by a scale factor of 2 followed by a translation of (0,5). The question also asks for the order in which these transformations should be applied, and the correct answer is to first stretch the graph and then translate it. This is because if the translation is done first, the resulting graph will not match the desired graph of g(x).
Peter G.
The function of f is given by f(x) = 3x - 2, where x is part of a set of real numbers. Sketch the graph of f. Find a combination of geometrical transformations of which, when applied to the graph of f will give the graph of g(x) = 6x + 1

At a first glance I thought: Stretch by a scale factor of 2 and translate by a vector of (0 2)

But the book's answer tell me otherwise: Stretch by factor 2 but a translation of vector (0 5) Can anyone help me please?

Thanks,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter! :smile:
Peter G. said:
The function of f is given by f(x) = 3x - 2, where x is part of a set of real numbers. Sketch the graph of f. Find a combination of geometrical transformations of which, when applied to the graph of f will give the graph of g(x) = 6x + 1

At a first glance I thought: Stretch by a scale factor of 2 and translate by a vector of (0 2)

How did you get (0,2) ? :confused:

Oh, wait, I think I got it!

If I do f (2x) I get 6x - 4, thus, if x = 2:

y = 8

while, for g (x) when x = 2 we get 13

13 - 8 = 5.

Is that it?

yeeees :redface:
Peter G. said:
If I do f (2x) I get 6x - 4

why not just do 6x - 4 + 5 = 6x + 1 ? :smile:

Cool! Thanks!

Oh, you mean, once I do f (2x) to find it is +5 I could do:

6x - 4 + x = 6x + 1
6x - 6x + x = 1 - (-4)
x = 5

?

Peter G. said:
6x - 4 + x = 6x + 1
6x - 6x + x = 1 - (-4)
x = 5

You seem to be using x to mean two different things. :confused:

Start again …

the given graph is (x,3x - 2) …

stretch it to get (x,6x - 4) …

then add (0,5) to get (x,6x - 1) :wink:

Ok, thanks again Tiny Tim :smile:

Oh, sorry Tiny-Tim, if you don't mind...

The functions f and g are defined for all real numbers by f (x) = -x2 and g(x) x2 + 2x + 8

a) Express g (x) in the format (x+a)2 + b where a and b are constants:

Ok, this one was ok, (x+1)2 + 7

b) Describe two transformations, in detail and the order in which they be applied whereby the graph of g may be obtained from the graph of f

Well, the question asks for the order, and the answer given by the book was reflection in the x-axis followed by translation of -1,7

What I wrote however, was: translation of (-1,7) and then a reflection in the x axis, are both answers acceptable?

Thanks once again and I promise it will be the last question on these graphs :shy:
Peter G.

Peter G. said:
Well, the question asks for the order, and the answer given by the book was reflection in the x-axis followed by translation of -1,7

What I wrote however, was: translation of (-1,7) and then a reflection in the x axis, are both answers acceptable?

No!

Have you drawn this?

If you do (-1,7) first, then you push the top of the curve well above the x-axis: so when you reflect in it, the bottom will be well below the x-axis.

(You could do a translation first, but that would need to push the curve down

can you now see what it would need to be?)

Ah... yes... sorry, it was a stupid question I made because I didn't notice the effect it would have moving the curve vertically.

Thanks

Related to How Do You Transform the Graph of f(x) = 3x - 2 to g(x) = 6x + 1?

What are graph transformations?

A graph transformation is a mathematical process that changes the shape, position, or size of a graph without changing its essential properties. It is used to represent the relationships between variables and to study the behavior of mathematical functions.

What are the different types of graph transformations?

There are three main types of graph transformations: translations, reflections, and dilations. Translations shift the graph horizontally or vertically, reflections flip the graph across an axis, and dilations stretch or shrink the graph.

Why are graph transformations important?

Graph transformations are important because they allow us to analyze and understand the behavior of mathematical functions. They also help us to visualize and interpret data, making it easier to draw conclusions and make predictions.

How do I perform a graph transformation?

To perform a graph transformation, you need to know the type of transformation you want to make and the equation of the original graph. Then, you can use mathematical formulas or rules to determine the new equation or coordinates of the transformed graph.

Can graph transformations change the shape of a graph?

Yes, graph transformations can change the shape of a graph. For example, a dilation can stretch a graph vertically or horizontally, resulting in a narrower or wider shape. A reflection can also change the shape of a graph by flipping it across an axis.