Estimating Distance from Earth to Sun Using Trigonometry

• Thread starter efekwulsemmay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Estimation
In summary, the problem asks for a method to measure the distance from the Earth to the Sun. One suggested solution is to use trigonometry and assume the Earth-Sun distance is equal to the radius of the sun plus an unknown value X. However, this leads to one equation with two unknowns, and the solution cannot be found without knowing the value of θ. Another possible method is to use Kepler's 3rd Law, but the necessary constant and period of the Earth around the Sun are not provided. Ultimately, the suggested solution is unclear and more information is needed to find the Earth-Sun distance.
efekwulsemmay

Homework Statement

The problem from the book states
Suggest a way to measure the distance from the Earth to the Sun.

The problem I am having is actually trying to figure out how someone else's suggested solution. His idea was to take a value R for the mean radius of the sun:

[tex]R=6.96x10^{5} km[/tex]

And use trig to find out a rough distance.

Homework Equations

I drew up a diagram to help figure out how he thought it would work (see attached file Diagram 1).

The Attempt at a Solution

Now my thoughts were that since the adjacent side is equal to R+X and the opposite side of theta is just R, that we set the whole thing equal to tangent theta and solve for X.

[tex]\tan\Theta=\dfrac{R} {R+X}[/tex]

Solve for X:

[tex]X=\dfrac{R} {\tan\Theta} - R[/tex]

This is where I get stuck. I cannot think of a way to find a value for theta without having a value for X, and without a value for theta I cannot seem to find X.

Another thought I had was to somehow try and find the hypotenuse of the triangle but again I cannot figure out a way without either angle theta or a value for X. This is all the information that was assumed and given and this is what I have to work with. I don't understand how exactly he did it. Unless he withheld some other assumption.

Attachments

• Diagram 1.bmp
    61.3 KB · Views: 557
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see your picture, but couldn't you just look at the sun and measure (or estimate) its angular size?

diazona said:
I can't see your picture, but couldn't you just look at the sun and measure (or estimate) its angular size?

I am not exactly sure what you mean or how to do that. Could you explain?

What are you supposed to know? For example,

You can use Kepler's 3rd Law if you know the appropriate constant and the period of the Earth around the Sun.

Last edited:
I realize there are many different ways to find the distance. For instance what I did to answer the problem was use the speed of light constant and the fact that it takes roughly 8min for light to reach the Earth from the sun. However, I am trying to understand this specific solution. This is what the guy in class gave and I don't understand what he did in order to solve the problem of finding X. I gave all the information I have on his solution and am asking for help with finding X.

I don't have access to your diagram, yet. What does X represent? It seems to me that R + X is the desired Earth-Sun distance.

efekwulsemmay;2322787For instance what I did to answer the problem was use the speed of light constant and the fact that it takes roughly 8min for light to reach the Earth from the sun. [/QUOTE said:
I think you have it backwards. We know light takes 8 min. to reach us because we know the Earth-Sun distance, not the other way round.

ideasrule said:
I think you have it backwards. We know light takes 8 min. to reach us because we know the Earth-Sun distance, not the other way round.

I do have it backwards. I used it that way to answer the problem. Literally my quote from the book is exact, thus there were no limitations on what we could use to answer the question. We were just supposed to answer it.

kuruman said:
I don't have access to your diagram, yet. What does X represent? It seems to me that R + X is the desired Earth-Sun distance.

X represents the distance from the surface of the sun to the earth. X is the value that needs to be solved. R is the radius of the sun.

Sorry, I got confused. The problem asks "Suggest a way to measure the distance from the Earth to the Sun." Usually that statement is interpreted to mean the center-to-center distance.

** Edit **
So if you know R and you are looking for X and you don't know θ, you have one equation and two unknowns, X and θ. You should either find an additional equation involving θ, or measure θ and plug in.

Last edited:

Related to Estimating Distance from Earth to Sun Using Trigonometry

1. What is a rapid estimation problem?

A rapid estimation problem is a type of mathematical or scientific problem that requires a quick and approximate solution rather than a precise one. This is often used when there is limited time or resources to find an exact answer.

2. How is a rapid estimation problem different from a regular problem?

A rapid estimation problem differs from a regular problem in that it does not require an exact solution. Instead, it focuses on finding a close approximation or estimate that is sufficient for the given situation. This is often used in situations where time, resources, or data are limited.

3. What are some common techniques used to solve rapid estimation problems?

Some common techniques used to solve rapid estimation problems include rounding, estimation by analogy, and using simplified models. These techniques allow for a quick and approximate solution to be found without the need for complex calculations or precise data.

4. When is it appropriate to use rapid estimation in scientific research?

Rapid estimation is commonly used in scientific research when time, resources, or data are limited. It can also be used as a preliminary step in a larger research project to quickly assess the feasibility or potential outcomes of the project.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using rapid estimation in scientific research?

While rapid estimation can be useful in certain situations, it is important to note that it is not a substitute for thorough and precise calculations. Depending on the complexity of the problem, a rapid estimation may not be accurate enough to draw meaningful conclusions. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the limitations and potential drawbacks before using rapid estimation in scientific research.