Problem involving Torque and a Derrick from Feynman Exercises

In summary, the conversation discussed the attempt to solve a problem involving the torque caused by tension and weight on a derrick. The principle of virtual work was also used to arrive at the same answer. The questioner was unsure about the presence of an additional term in the listed answer and sought clarification.
suh112
Homework Statement
2.17 A derrick is made of a uniform boom of length L and weight w, pivoted at its lower end, as shown in Fig. 2-15. It is supported at an angle with the vertical by a horizontal cable attached at a point a distance x from the pivot, and a weight W is slung from its upper end. Find the tension T in the horizontal cable.
Relevant Equations
##\tau = F_{\perp}r##
Work = Fd
I attempted to solve this problem by considering the torque caused by the perpendicular components of the tension and weight with respect to the derrick. $$ Tcos\theta x = Wsin\theta L$$ $$T = \frac L x Wtan\theta$$ Using the principle of virtual work I also arrived at the same answer by considering the derrick falling a distance y. $$Wsin\theta y = Tcos\theta \frac x L y $$The answer listed in the book is ##T = \frac L x (W + \frac W 2 )tan\theta ## and I can't figure out where the ##\frac W 2 ## term comes from. Thank you in advance for helping me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-04 at 11.45.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-04 at 11.45.41 AM.png
    22 KB · Views: 54
Physics news on Phys.org
In addition to the weight W of the block, the boom has weight w.

TSny said:
In addition to the weight W of the block, the boom has weight w.
Ok I see now. Thanks for pointing that out.

Likes berkeman and TSny