Error Propagation - Estimating Variance

In summary: I hope that this has been helpful. Try it for yourself: write out ##(\sum_{i=1}^3 a_i)^2 = (a_1 + a_2 + a_3)^2## in complete detail, by expanding out the square. After doing that, re-write the result using summation notation. Ah I see, but where did the j's come from though? And nothing about y(x2) was said that day.
unscientific

Homework Statement

Not exactly a homework question, but rather a section in Statistical Data Analysis:

Suppose there is a pdf y(x)[/SUB] that is not completely known, but μi and Vij are known:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how <y(x)> ≈ y(μ),

My confusion:

Why does <y(x2)>

1. Imply we square everything throughout?

<[y(μ) + Ʃ[∂y/∂x](xi - μi)]2>

2. give a xi and xj term? Where did the xj come from?

3. Why is it for i≠j when xi and xj are uncorrelated, the expression simplifies to

σ2y ≈ Ʃ[∂y/∂x]2σ2i

Where did the j go?

snywxy.png

154wqkw.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
unscientific said:

Homework Statement

Not exactly a homework question, but rather a section in Statistical Data Analysis:

Suppose there is a pdf y(x)[/SUB] that is not completely known, but μi and Vij are known:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how <y(x)> ≈ y(μ),

My confusion:

Why does <y(x2)>

1. Imply we square everything throughout?

<[y(μ) + Ʃ[∂y/∂x](xi - μi)]2>

2. give a xi and xj term? Where did the xj come from?

3. Why is it for i≠j when xi and xj are uncorrelated, the expression simplifies to

σ2y ≈ Ʃ[∂y/∂x]2σ2i

Where did the j go?

snywxy.png

154wqkw.png

It told you explicitly where the j "went": it said that ##V_{ii} = \sigma_i^2## and that ##V_{ij} = 0 ## for ##i \neq j##.

Ray Vickson said:
It told you explicitly where the j "went": it said that ##V_{ii} = \sigma_i^2## and that ##V_{ij} = 0 ## for ##i \neq j##.

Hmm, that makes sense.

What about the initial derivation? Why did they choose to square the entire RHS when it's a function of (x2) and not f2(x)? And the j's started appearing..

unscientific said:
Hmm, that makes sense.

What about the initial derivation? Why did they choose to square the entire RHS when it's a function of (x2) and not f2(x)? And the j's started appearing..

Do you honestly mean to say that you cannot tell the difference between ##g(x)^2## and ##g(x^2)##? The paper is working with ##g(x)^2##!

Ray Vickson said:
Do you honestly mean to say that you cannot tell the difference between ##g(x)^2## and ##g(x^2)##? The paper is working with ##g(x)^2##!

Ah I see, but where did the j's come from though? And nothing about y(x2) was said that day.

unscientific said:
Ah I see, but where did the j's come from though? And nothing about y(x2) was said that day.

Try it for yourself: write out ##(\sum_{i=1}^3 a_i)^2 = (a_1 + a_2 + a_3)^2## in complete detail, by expanding out the square. After doing that, re-write the result using summation notation.

This will be my last post on this topic.

Related to Error Propagation - Estimating Variance

1. What is error propagation?

Error propagation is the process of estimating the uncertainty or error associated with a calculation or measurement. It involves determining how errors in the input variables affect the final result.

2. Why is error propagation important in scientific research?

Error propagation is important because it allows scientists to assess the reliability and accuracy of their results. It also helps in identifying sources of error and improving the quality of experiments and data analysis.

3. How is variance calculated in error propagation?

Variance is calculated by taking the square of the standard deviation of the input variables. The standard deviation is determined by taking the square root of the sum of the squared uncertainties of each input variable.

4. How can different sources of error be accounted for in error propagation?

In error propagation, different sources of error can be accounted for by considering the individual uncertainties of each input variable and combining them using mathematical equations such as the sum, difference, and product rule.

5. What are some limitations of error propagation?

Some limitations of error propagation include assuming all input variables are independent and normally distributed, which may not always be the case. It also does not account for systematic errors, which can have a significant impact on the final result.