How does error propagate in a complex equation involving averages and variances?

In summary, the error propagation for the given operation involves calculating the squared error of both the numerator and denominator, using the given equations (1) and (3) from Wikipedia, and then multiplying them by the constant K squared. The final equation for the squared error is:S_f^2=\left(\frac{\bar{X}}{100-\sum \bar{Y}_j}\right)^2 \left(\frac{S_{X}^2}{\bar{X}^2} + \frac{\sum S_{Y_j}^2}{(100-\sum \bar{Y}_j)^2} \right)K^2It should also be noted that the value of K is exact and does not
tjosan

Homework Statement

Hello,

I have the following operation that I want to perform:

[tex] f=\frac{\bar{X}}{100-\sum \bar{Y}_j}*K[/tex]
[itex] \bar{X} [/itex] and [itex] \bar{Y} [/itex] are averages with variances [itex] S_{X}^2 [/itex] and [itex] S_{Y_j}^2 [/itex] and [itex] K [/itex] is a constant.

How will the error propagate?

Homework Equations

According to Wikipedia:
(1) [itex] f=a\bar{A} \Rightarrow S_f^2=a^2S_f^2[/itex] where [itex] a [/itex] is a constant.
(2) [itex] f=\bar{A}\bar{B} \Rightarrow S_f^2=S_A^2+S_B^2[/itex]
(3) [itex] f=\frac{\bar{A}}{\bar{B}} \Rightarrow S_f^2=f^2\left(\frac{S_A^2}{A^2}+\frac{S_B^2}{B^2}\right) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So then the error of the nominator will be [itex]S_{X}^2[/itex]
Only looking at the denominator i will have: [itex]100-\sum S_{Y_j}^2[/itex]
Using the third and first equation will then yield:

[tex] S_f^2=f^2 \left(\frac{S_{X}^2}{\bar{X}^2} + \frac{100-\sum S_{Y_j}^2}{(100-\sum \bar{Y}_j)^2} \right)K^2[/tex]

Where [itex] K^2 [/itex] comes from the first equation.

I am a little bit confused though. Is this correct?

Thanks.

Edit: Covariance=0

Physics news on Phys.org
tjosan said:

Homework Statement

Hello,

I have the following operation that I want to perform:

[tex] f=\frac{\bar{X}}{100-\sum \bar{Y}_j}*K[/tex]
[itex] \bar{X} [/itex] and [itex] \bar{Y} [/itex] are averages with variances [itex] S_{X}^2 [/itex] and [itex] S_{Y_j}^2 [/itex] and [itex] K [/itex] is a constant.

How will the error propagate?

Homework Equations

According to Wikipedia:
(1) [itex] f=a\bar{A} \Rightarrow S_f^2=a^2S_f^2[/itex] where [itex] a [/itex] is a constant.
(2) [itex] f=\bar{A}\bar{B} \Rightarrow S_f^2=S_A^2+S_B^2[/itex]
(3) [itex] f=\frac{\bar{A}}{\bar{B}} \Rightarrow S_f^2=f^2\left(\frac{S_A^2}{A^2}+\frac{S_B^2}{B^2}\right) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So then the error of the nominator will be [itex]S_{X}^2[/itex]
Only looking at the denominator i will have: [itex]100-\sum S_{Y_j}^2[/itex]
Using the third and first equation will then yield:

[tex] S_f^2=f^2 \left(\frac{S_{X}^2}{\bar{X}^2} + \frac{100-\sum S_{Y_j}^2}{(100-\sum \bar{Y}_j)^2} \right)K^2[/tex]

Where [itex] K^2 [/itex] comes from the first equation.

I am a little bit confused though. Is this correct?

Thanks.

Edit: Covariance=0

No, it is not correct: the squared error in ##100 - \sum Y_j## is not ##100 - \sum S_{Y_j}^2##. For one thing, the '100' is a constant that has no error; for another thing, the ##Y_i## squared errors should not be subtracted from anything.

Thank you for your answer. Would this be correct?

[tex] S_f^2=f^2 \left(\frac{S_{X}^2}{\bar{X}^2} + \frac{\sum S_{Y_j}^2}{(100-\sum \bar{Y}_j)^2} \right)K^2[/tex]

Thanks.

To answer my own question:

[tex] S_f^2=\left(\frac{\bar{X}}{100-\sum \bar{Y}_j}\right)^2 \left(\frac{S_{X}^2}{\bar{X}^2} + \frac{\sum S_{Y_j}^2}{(100-\sum \bar{Y}_j)^2} \right)K^2[/tex]

It should be clarified that K is an exakt number.

Related to How does error propagate in a complex equation involving averages and variances?

1. What is error propagation problem?

The error propagation problem is the phenomenon where errors from one variable or measurement can affect the accuracy and precision of other variables or measurements in a scientific experiment or calculation. This can lead to a cascading effect of errors, making it difficult to determine the true value of a measurement or calculation.

2. What causes error propagation problem?

Error propagation problem can be caused by a variety of factors, such as imprecise measuring instruments, human error in recording measurements, or inherent variability in the system being studied. It can also arise from incorrect assumptions or simplifications made in mathematical models used to analyze data.

3. How can error propagation problem be minimized?

To minimize error propagation problem, scientists can employ various strategies such as using more precise measuring instruments, taking multiple measurements and averaging them, and using more accurate mathematical models. It is also important to pay attention to potential sources of error and try to minimize them during the experimental design phase.

4. How does error propagation affect scientific conclusions?

Error propagation can significantly impact the accuracy and reliability of scientific conclusions. If the errors are not accounted for, the conclusions drawn from the data may be inaccurate or misleading. This is why it is crucial for scientists to carefully consider and address error propagation in their experiments and calculations.

5. Can error propagation be completely eliminated?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate error propagation, it can be minimized by using rigorous experimental design, precise measuring instruments, and accurate mathematical models. Scientists can also use statistical techniques to quantify and account for the uncertainty caused by error propagation in their data analysis.