Entropy increase in adiabatic irreversible compression

In summary, the conversation discusses an adiabatic cylinder with a gas in thermal equilibrium and a sudden increase in external pressure. The change in entropy and temperature of the system is being investigated, and it is determined that the equation for entropy change involves integrating dS=dQ/T over a reversible path between the initial and final equilibrium states. The correct equation is found and it is discussed that the reversible path can be chosen arbitrarily as long as the equation PV=nRT holds throughout the path.
jorgdv
Hi there,

I was wondering if you could help me, I think I may have some concepts wrong or incomplete.

Homework Statement

We have an adiabatic cylinder of volume ##V_1## filled with a gas of pressure ##p_1## and temperature ##T_1## in thermal equilibrium, closed with a piston. All of a suden we rise the pressure on the outside to ##p_2>p_1##, so the cylinder compress in a non reversible way. What is the change in entropy and temperature of the system?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

All right, first of all, we are told that the cylinder is adiabatic, so ##\Delta Q=0## right? But change of entropy is defined as ##\Delta S=T \Delta Q##, so according to that definition it should also be 0. But that sounds strange, since it's an irreversible process. I guess that definition of entropy does not apply to irreversible process, which one would apply and why?

Assuming that ##\Delta Q=0## we have

##\Delta U=c_v (T_2-T_1)=-p_2 (V_2-V_1)=-p_2 nR(\frac{T_2}{p_2}-\frac{T_1}{p_1})##

And from that equation we could get ##T_2## and thus ##\Delta U##. Is this right?

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
jorgdv said:
All right, first of all, we are told that the cylinder is adiabatic, so ##\Delta Q=0## right? But change of entropy is defined as ##\Delta S=T \Delta Q##, so according to that definition it should also be 0.
That is not the equation for the entropy change. The equation for the entropy change involves integrating dS=dQ/T over a reversible path between the initial and final equilibrium states. So, to get the entropy change, you need to first solve for the temperature and volume in the final equilibrium state, and then dream up a reversible path between these same initial and final equilibrium states. For the reversible path you dream up, dQ won't be zero, and T won't be constant over the entire path.
Assuming that ##\Delta Q=0## we have

##\Delta U=c_v (T_2-T_1)=-p_2 (V_2-V_1)=-p_2 nR(\frac{T_2}{p_2}-\frac{T_1}{p_1})##

And from that equation we could get ##T_2## and thus ##\Delta U##. Is this right?
Yes. Very nicely done, except that there should be an n in front of the Cv, assuming by Cv you mean the molar heat capacity.

After solving for T2, start thinking of how you would get from the initial equilibrium state to the final equilibrium state using a reversible path. That's what you need to do to find the entropy change.

Chet

Thank you for your answer.

But which could be the reversible path? Clearly it's not isothermal since the final temperature changes. It is neither isobaric and it is not adiabatic since then the entropy change would then be 0 through all the path. I know that a reversible path is one in which the equilibrium is conserved in all instants, so that means that in an ideal gas ##PV=nRT## should hold in all the path. Does that mean that I can choose an arbitrary path for example in pressure, as long as that equation holds all the time? Do I have to parametrize it?

jorgdv said:
Thank you for your answer.

But which could be the reversible path? Clearly it's not isothermal since the final temperature changes. It is neither isobaric and it is not adiabatic since then the entropy change would then be 0 through all the path. I know that a reversible path is one in which the equilibrium is conserved in all instants, so that means that in an ideal gas ##PV=nRT## should hold in all the path. Does that mean that I can choose an arbitrary path for example in pressure, as long as that equation holds all the time?
Yes. You could do what you said and integrate dU=TdS-PdV (which, after you divide by T gives you an exact differential for dS), or you could break down the path into, say, two segments, one at constant volume in which you increase the temperature and then one at constant temperature in which you decrease the volume. Either way, you get the same answer.

Chet

Okay, I understand now. Thank you!

Related to Entropy increase in adiabatic irreversible compression

What is entropy increase in adiabatic irreversible compression?

Entropy increase in adiabatic irreversible compression refers to the increase in disorder or randomness of a system as it is compressed without any heat exchange with its surroundings.

Why does entropy increase in adiabatic irreversible compression?

Entropy increase in adiabatic irreversible compression is due to the irreversible nature of the compression process. As the system is compressed, work is done on it, leading to an increase in internal energy. This increase in internal energy results in an increase in the number of microstates, or possible arrangements of particles, leading to an increase in entropy.

What is the difference between adiabatic irreversible compression and reversible compression?

The main difference between adiabatic irreversible compression and reversible compression is the presence of friction or resistance in the compression process. In adiabatic irreversible compression, there is friction or resistance present, which leads to an increase in entropy, while in reversible compression, there is no friction or resistance, and the process is carried out slowly and without any increase in entropy.

How does entropy increase affect the efficiency of a compression process?

An increase in entropy in a compression process leads to a decrease in efficiency. This is because as entropy increases, more energy is lost to the surroundings, and less work is done on the system. Therefore, a higher entropy increase in adiabatic irreversible compression results in a lower efficiency of the process.

Can entropy increase in adiabatic irreversible compression be reversed?

No, entropy increase in adiabatic irreversible compression cannot be reversed. This is because the increase in entropy is a result of irreversible processes, such as friction and resistance, which cannot be undone. However, the overall entropy of the universe can decrease, but only if there is a decrease in entropy in another part of the universe to compensate for the increase in entropy in the compression process.