Engineering PhD Advice Required

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's consideration of pursuing a PhD in engineering due to having no clear direction in life. They have had a decrease in motivation and work ethic but still expect to do well in their integrated masters program. They are unsure about their chances of getting into a PhD program and are concerned about their lack of experience and goals. The conversation also mentions specific types of PhD programs and the person's worries about their referees' views on their lack of direction.
vysethecoward
I'm kind considering doing a PhD in engineering mainly because I have no idea what else to do with my life. I don't plan on being a researcher but I am happy delaying real life by 3 to 4 years.

My questions:

1. I am doing an integrated masters. Until just less than halfway through my final bachelors year I was a very good student (I even got an award for my first year results and a scholarship later on) but my motivation and work ethic plummeted to joke levels (after being nothing special initially) and haven't recovered. I didn't do well on my bachelors thesis (got a lower second).

I'm in my masters year now. Half of my credits in my first term are from a course where you have to do two research papers. In my first one, worth 30 % of the course's grade, I procrastinated a tonne, handed in utter crap, and miraculously got an OKish grade (upper second). My second one is due in just under two weeks which is enough time to work extremely hard and hand in something reasonable.

I mention those because they're my only research experiences and I'll end up being nothing special with respect to those. However, I'm pretty sure I'll get a 1st for my degree overall.

How ****ed / un****ed am I? I am too embarrassed to ask any of my lecturers for references, although if I put in a huge amount of effort with this current assignment then I'd be ok from an academic point of view with this lecturer.

2. I see lots of specific 3 year projects to apply to. I see EPSRC 4 year PhDs. I know what these mean, but any thoughts on the different options? Also how smart do you have to be to do the below ones (for example)?

http://www.eng.ed.ac.uk/postgraduate/research/projects/clustering-mesostructure-and-non-classical-crystal-nucleation-liquids

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/courses/systems-biology

3. If I apply for varied things, it'll be obvious that I have no clue or goals about anything. How bad will my referees view that?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's pretty unusual to enter a PhD program just to kill time. Are you sure you can't find something more worthwhile to do than take up space in a doctoral program in engineering? Why does it have to be engineering? You could kill just as much time as an English Literature PhD or in another liberal arts program.

Related to Engineering PhD Advice Required

What is the process for obtaining an engineering PhD?

The process for obtaining an engineering PhD typically involves completing coursework, conducting independent research, and writing and defending a dissertation. The specific requirements may vary depending on the university and program, but most programs take 4-6 years to complete.

What are the benefits of pursuing an engineering PhD?

Pursuing an engineering PhD can open up opportunities for advanced research positions, teaching positions at universities, and higher salaries in industry. It also allows for in-depth exploration of a specific area of interest and the opportunity to make significant contributions to the field.

What are some tips for successfully completing an engineering PhD program?

Some tips for successfully completing an engineering PhD program include setting clear goals and timelines, staying organized and managing time effectively, seeking mentorship and collaborating with other students and professors, and maintaining a good work-life balance to avoid burnout.

Can I work while pursuing an engineering PhD?

Many engineering PhD programs offer teaching or research assistantships that provide a stipend and tuition assistance. These positions typically involve working 10-20 hours per week, leaving time for students to also work on their own research. However, it is important to carefully balance work and studies to avoid overwhelming oneself.

What are some potential challenges of pursuing an engineering PhD?

Pursuing an engineering PhD can be a demanding and challenging journey. Some potential challenges include managing a heavy workload, balancing research and coursework, dealing with setbacks and failures, and navigating the academic job market after graduation. It is important for students to have a support system and to prioritize self-care during this process.