Energy stored in an electrostatic system

In summary, if I bring a free charge from infinity to a point inside a dielectrics, then work done is equal to the charge multiplied by the density of the charge at that point multiplied by the length of time it takes to move the charge to that point.
Pushoam
<Moderator's note: Thread moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing>

To do: To find an expression for energy stored in an electrostatic system with charge density ## \rho ## and volume R.
[ I am using R to denote the region filled with the given charge density as I want to keep 'V' reserved for potential ].

By the term "energy of the system " what we mean is : work required to assemble the system

So, I have to calculate work required to assemble the system i.e. W.

Let's consider the system at the time when its volume is Δ R and I bring charge dq to a point M with position vector ##\vec r ## on its surface.
upload_2017-8-11_12-42-55.png

Work done by me in this process is
dW = V(##\vec r ##) dq

##V \left ( \vec r \right ) = k \int _{ΔR}~ \frac { \rho (\vec {r'}) }{r"} d \, τ' ##
## dq = \rho (\vec {r}) dτ ##
So, ## dW = k \int _R~ \frac { \rho (\vec {r'}) }{r"} d \, τ' ~ \rho (\vec {r}) dτ ##
## W = \int _R~ \rho (\vec {r}) \{ k \int _{ΔR}~ \frac { \rho (\vec {r'}) }{r"} d \, τ'\} d\,τ ##

where ΔR depends on r.

Is this correct so far?

Another way:

W = ½ ##\int_R ~ \rho (\vec r) V (\vec r) d \, τ##
## \rho (\vec r) V (\vec r) = ε_0 (∇⋅ \vec E ) V = ε_0 ( ∇⋅( V \vec E ) - \vec E⋅ ∇ V ) ##
## W = ½ \int_R~ ε_0 ( ∇⋅ (V \vec E ) - \vec E⋅ ∇ V ) d \,τ ##
## = ½ \int_S ~ ε_0 V \vec E ⋅ d \vec a + ½ \int_R ε_0 E^2 d \, τ ##
Taking the region of integration to be infinite, (as the charge density outside R is 0), the first integral on R.H.S. becomes 0. Hence, we have,
## W = \frac {\epsilon _0 } 2 \int_{all space} E^2 d \, \tau ##In case of dielectrics, this will be the work required for assembling both free charges and bound charges.

For dielectrics, ## \rho = \rho_b + \rho_f,##
So,
W = ½ ##\int_R ~ \rho (\vec r) V (\vec r) d \, τ##
= ½ ##\int_R~ (\rho_b + \rho_f )V (\vec r) d \, τ##
W =½ ## \int_R~ \rho_b V d \, τ + ½ \int_R \rho_f V (\vec r) d \, τ##

Can I take the first term on the R.H.S. as the work required to assemble the bound charges and the second term as the work required to assemble the free charges ?

If yes, then,

##W_f = ½ \int_R \rho_f V (\vec r) d \, τ
\\ \rho_f=∇.\vec D##
And doing some further calculation,
## W_f = ½ \int_{all space} \vec D . \vec E ~d \, τ ##

Is this correct so far?

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-11_12-40-21.png
    upload_2017-8-11_12-40-21.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 457
  • upload_2017-8-11_12-41-34.png
    upload_2017-8-11_12-41-34.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 469
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Calculating work done required in building free charges up from zero to the final configuration in dielectrics

Here, the volume of the system( dielectrics ) R is fixed. So, as I bring free charge Δq to the system, its free charge density ## \rho_f ## gets changed by ##Δ \rho_f ##. Change in free charge density creates change in bound charge density ( only ## \rho_b ## or both## \rho_b## and ##σ_b## ?).

##Δq = \int_R (ρ_f + Δ ρ_f ) d \, τ - \int_R ρ_f d \, τ = \int_R Δρ_f d \, τ ##Work done on bringing this incremental charge from infinity to a point with position vector ## \vec r ## inside the dielectrics is

##ΔW = Δq V(\vec r )## (1)

## ΔW = V(\vec r ) \int_R Δρ_f d \, τ ## (1.1)

But, the Griffith says in eq. 4.56 3rd ed. : ## ΔW = \int_R Δρ_f V(\vec r ) d \, τ ##
So, something may be wrong in (1).
I think Δq gets spread in all over the dielectrics. It doesn't remain at ## \vec r ## in the dielectrics.
So, eq (1) has to be modified.
Let's say that a very small amount of Δq i.e. Δ (Δq) remains at ## \vec r ## after the spreading. Now, work done on this charge is

##Δ(ΔW) = Δ(Δq) V( \vec r )##

On integrating both sides,

## ΔW = Δ\int _R Δ(Δρ_f) V(\vec r ) d \, τ ##

This also doesn't match the Griffith's expression.
I guess the way Griffith's brings the free charge is following:
He doesn't bring the charge Δq at ## \vec r ##. He brings the charge Δq over all the region of dielectrics simultaneously so that its free charge density gets increased by ## Δρ_f ##. Now, ##Δ ρ_f (\vec r ) V(\vec r ) d \, τ ## is the work done in bringing the charge ## Δ ρ_f (\vec r ) d \, τ ## at ## \vec r ##. Hence, the work done in bringing Δq all over the dielectrics is

## ΔW = \int _R~ Δ ρ_f (\vec r ) ~ V(\vec r ) d \, τ ##

Where ## V (\vec r )## is potential due to the system at ## \vec r## at the time when the charge ## Δ ρ_f (\vec r ) d \, τ ## is brought to ## \vec r##.

## Δρ_f = ∇ρ_f ⋅ d \vec r = ∇ (∇⋅ \vec D )⋅ d \vec r##

Now, Griffiths takes ## Δ ρ_f = ∇. (Δ \vec D ) ##.
This means,
## \begin {align}
Δρ_f & = Δ (∇. \vec D ) & = ∇. (Δ \vec D )
\\& ⇒ [ ∇(∇. \vec D)]. d \vec r & = ∇. ( ∇ D_j .d \vec r ) \hat x_j
\\ & ⇒ \frac { \partial { [ \frac {\partial D_j } {\partial x_j } ] } } {\partial {x_i } } d x_i & = \frac { \partial { [ \frac {\partial D_j } {\partial x_k } d x_k ] } } {\partial {x_j } }
\end {align} ##

How to prove the equality in the last equation?

Since I understand the following steps, I am copying it from Griffiths.
upload_2017-8-12_17-32-23.png

Now, since we have to calculate W instead of ΔW, what Griffith does is : ## (Δ \vec D ) . \vec E = \frac {Δ(\vec D .\vec E )} 2 ##

This I can show as following:

## (Δ \vec D ) . \vec E = E_i (∇ D_i . d\vec r ) = \frac { Δ (E_i D_i )} 2 = \frac {Δ(\vec D .\vec E )} 2 ##

while taking the integration over all space, it is assumed that space outside R is vacuum.
Is this assumption necessary?

Now, Griffith takes Δ outside the integration. Can anyone please explain me how can one show the correctness of this step?
upload_2017-8-12_17-51-18.png

Can anyone please explain me the underlined part in the following footnote?
upload_2017-8-12_17-54-1.png

I am attaching Griffith's derivation of eqn. 2.42 and 4.58 given in 3rd ed.

upload_2017-8-12_18-2-32.png

upload_2017-8-12_18-4-58.png

upload_2017-8-12_18-7-13.png

upload_2017-8-12_18-8-46.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-12_18-3-32.png
    upload_2017-8-12_18-3-32.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 457

Related to Energy stored in an electrostatic system

What is the definition of energy stored in an electrostatic system?

Energy stored in an electrostatic system is the potential energy stored in the electric field between two charged objects. This energy is a result of the work done to move the charges from one position to another.

How is the energy stored in an electrostatic system calculated?

The energy stored in an electrostatic system can be calculated by using the equation E = 1/2 * Q * V, where E is the energy in joules, Q is the magnitude of charge in coulombs, and V is the potential difference in volts.

What is the relationship between energy stored and distance in an electrostatic system?

The energy stored in an electrostatic system is directly proportional to the distance between the two charged objects. This means that as the distance increases, the energy stored also increases.

How does adding more charges affect the energy stored in an electrostatic system?

Adding more charges to an electrostatic system will increase the energy stored. This is because the electric field between the charges will become stronger, resulting in a higher potential energy.

Can the energy stored in an electrostatic system be negative?

No, the energy stored in an electrostatic system cannot be negative. This is because the potential energy of a system is always measured relative to a reference point, and it is the difference in potential energy that is important in determining the energy stored.