Elements used to make semiconductor componets before silicon

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different materials in the development of semiconductor devices, with a focus on the material used by the inventors of the transistor. The material is still used today, but silicon has become the more commonly used material due to ease of use. The conversation ends with a suggestion to research the invention of the transistor for more information.
Kaluence
hi all, I am new here so if i break any rules please correct me
er I am puzzled over an assignment and have no idea how to search for it, the question ask for the elements that was used to make semiconductor componets before it was replaced by silicon..

please help..a site help would do just fine thanks

kaluence

Physics news on Phys.org
Kaluence said:
hi all, I am new here so if i break any rules please correct me
er I am puzzled over an assignment and have no idea how to search for it, the question ask for the elements that was used to make semiconductor componets before it was replaced by silicon..

please help..a site help would do just fine thanks

kaluence

Various materials were used by experimentalists in the development of seimconductor devices. The one I think you are looking for was used by the scientists credited with inventing the transistor. That material is still used for some semiconductor devices today, and in some ways is superior to silicon, but most devices are now made of silicon because it is easier to work with.

Look up the invention of the transistor.

Before silicon became the dominant material for semiconductor components, other elements were also used. Some of the earliest semiconductors were made from germanium, which was used in the first commercial transistors in the 1950s. Other elements that were used include selenium and gallium arsenide.

Selenium was used in early rectifiers and photoelectric cells, while gallium arsenide was used in high-frequency devices such as microwave transistors.

Other materials that have been used in semiconductor components include silicon carbide, which was used in early LEDs, and indium antimonide, which was used in infrared detectors.

However, these materials were eventually replaced by silicon due to its abundance, stability, and ease of processing. Silicon also has the ability to form a natural oxide layer, making it ideal for creating reliable and stable electronic devices.

In addition to silicon, other elements such as germanium, gallium, and indium are still used in certain types of specialized semiconductor components. For example, gallium nitride is used in high-power and high-frequency applications, while indium phosphide is used in optoelectronic devices.

Overall, the evolution of semiconductor materials has been driven by the need for better performance, reliability, and cost-effectiveness. While silicon remains the most widely used material, it is important to continue to explore and develop new materials for future advances in semiconductor technology.

Related to Elements used to make semiconductor componets before silicon

1. What are semiconductors made of?

Semiconductors are typically made of materials from the periodic table of elements. These materials have properties that allow them to conduct electricity, but not as easily as conductors like metals.

2. What elements were used to make semiconductors before silicon?

Before silicon, elements like germanium, gallium, and arsenic were commonly used to make semiconductors. These elements were chosen for their unique properties that allowed for the creation of electronic devices.

3. What is the importance of silicon in semiconductor components?

Silicon is the most commonly used element in semiconductor components because it is abundant, affordable, and has desirable electrical properties. It also forms a stable oxide layer, making it ideal for creating transistors and other electronic devices.

4. How are elements used to make semiconductor components?

Elements used to make semiconductor components are typically grown in a controlled environment to create crystals. These crystals are then sliced into thin wafers and undergo various processes, such as doping and etching, to create the desired electronic components.

5. Are there any other elements being researched for use in semiconductors?

Yes, scientists are constantly researching and experimenting with new materials to use in semiconductors. Some promising candidates include carbon nanotubes, graphene, and various organic compounds. These materials have the potential to improve the performance and efficiency of electronic devices.