Some general questions on elements

In summary, fluorine is added to tap water because it is highly reactive and can be kept in water through a chemical reaction. The element believed to give Io, a moon of Jupiter, its distinctive color is sulfur. Before being replaced by silicon, germanium was used to make semiconductor components. Triton can be found orbiting around Neptune.
Kaluence
1) why is the element fluorine added to tap water?
2) what element is believed to give lo.a moon of Jupiter its distinctive colour
4)what element was used to make semiconductor components before being replacedby silicon
5)where is triton found, please elaborate on it

thanks kaluence

Physics news on Phys.org
1) As F is very very reactive , it is kept in water via following reaction:

F(2) +H(2)O -----> HF + O(2)

Kaluence said:
5)where is triton found, please elaborate on it

Orbiting neptune. :wink:

Seriously, though, you should show some attempt to do the problem before asking us.

sorry, cause i just realize 5-6mins before i realize i had to answer this question,but thanks i really love the comunity her.. you guys are always so frenly and nice.. haha btw i found the answers already..realise deadline was next week not this week :smile:

Related to Some general questions on elements

1. What is an element?

An element is a substance that cannot be broken down into simpler substances through chemical reactions. It is made up of atoms that all have the same number of protons in their nucleus.

2. How many elements are there?

Currently, there are 118 known elements. These range from hydrogen, the lightest element, to oganesson, the heaviest element.

3. What is the periodic table?

The periodic table is a tabular arrangement of all the known elements in order of their atomic number, electron configuration, and chemical properties. It is a useful tool for understanding the relationships between elements and predicting their behavior.

4. How are elements named?

Elements are named based on a variety of factors, such as their discovery location, properties, or the scientist who discovered them. Some elements have traditional names, while others have more recently been named after famous scientists or places.

5. What are the three main categories of elements?

Elements are categorized into three main groups: metals, nonmetals, and metalloids. Metals are typically shiny, malleable, and good conductors of electricity. Nonmetals are typically dull, brittle, and poor conductors. Metalloids have properties that fall in between metals and nonmetals.