Electrical Engineering and Physics, or an intership

In summary: The most helpful path would be to study Electrical Engineering with a physics minor, since you will gain a better fundamental understanding of what is happening in the course and be able to do calculations more easily. If you want to go into industry, it would be helpful to have some computer science skills, as most jobs in industry require good programming ability. Two years of an internship would be helpful, as it would give you experience in the industry you are interested in. Thanks for the questions!
pete5383
Hey everyone. I'm an Electrical Engineering student, just finished my freshmen year, and now I'm trying to do decide what to do. In the next couple years, I'll have a glut of extra credits (I'll be taking around 10 credits a semester and my university says 13 is full time, and recommends 16 a semester) because of AP credits and some Lib. Ed. classes I'd take and what not. Anyways, I'm thinking about of what to with my extra classes and have some ideas. I plan on going to grad school either right after I get my BS or soon after.

1. Electrical Engineering and Physics (with Engineering emphasis) double major. I'm looking at a double major with physics, hopefully I can get a better fundamental understanding of what's happening in EE, and get a leg-up on the job market. I've looked at how difficult it would be, and think I could do it. I've always liked physics, and was thinking maybe it would help on the understanding level.

2. Electrical Engineering and intership. My college offers "Industrial Assignment" where they basically set you up with an intership your junior and senior year. How much help would two years of experience be when I'm done with school?

3. EE and lots and lots of electives. My other idea is just to take as many EE classes I possibly can, even if it won't get me an extra degree or anything, but just for the pure desire to learn about EE.

So there's my ideas. I've always loved both electronics and physics, and I think I do pretty well in my classes (have a good GPA). So I guess I'm just wondering what will give me the best help when looking for a job. I'm hoping to get a job that's not paper-pushing...but, I suppose I might have to start there anyways. So anyone who can give me their opinion, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, I was wondering if learning a second language is helpful in the job hunt. And if so, any languages particularly useful?

pete5383 said:
Also, I was wondering if learning a second language is helpful in the job hunt. And if so, any languages particularly useful?

This depends on where you live, and where you want to work. But as a general rule, it definitely won't hurt.

Thanks for the input.

I live in America, and I guess I probably will work here (but who knows). Any language that is particularly helpful?

I'm a circuit designer for a Nasdaq-100 semiconductor manufacturer. I'd honestly suggest you take some computer science classes to round out your curriculum. Strong Unix and general-purpose programming skills are very valuable in most areas of electrical engineering (since all design is now computer-aided), and few EE graduates really have strong CS skills. It'll set you apart from your peers when it comes time to interview for your first job.

- Warren

First off, I'd like to say thanks to everyone on this forum. I think I've read about every post since I've discovered you guys here, and everyone is so hopefully. So thanks for the responses!:smile:

So, now I'm thinking about a couple things: EE with physics minor, csci minor, or some foreign languages. Which would be the most helpful? Also, would two years of an internship help out much? Thank you again!

Related to Electrical Engineering and Physics, or an intership

1. What is the difference between electrical engineering and physics?

Electrical engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. It focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of electrical systems and devices. On the other hand, physics is a natural science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It involves understanding the fundamental principles of the universe and applying them to various phenomena. While both fields involve the study of electricity and its applications, electrical engineering focuses more on practical applications, while physics focuses on theoretical concepts.

2. What are the key skills required for a career in electrical engineering or physics?

To succeed in a career in electrical engineering or physics, one must have a strong foundation in mathematics and problem-solving skills. Additionally, proficiency in computer programming, critical thinking, and analytical skills are essential. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaborating with other professionals and presenting research findings.

3. What types of internships are available for students interested in electrical engineering or physics?

Internships in electrical engineering and physics can vary depending on the specific field of interest. Some common types of internships include research internships at universities or research institutions, industry internships at companies involved in electrical engineering or physics-related projects, and government internships at national laboratories or agencies. Additionally, students can also explore internships in renewable energy, telecommunications, aerospace, and other related industries.

4. How can an internship in electrical engineering or physics benefit my career?

An internship in electrical engineering or physics can provide hands-on experience and exposure to real-world projects. It can help students develop practical skills and gain a deeper understanding of the concepts learned in the classroom. Internships also provide opportunities for networking and building professional relationships, which can lead to job opportunities after graduation. Additionally, internships can help students determine their career interests and goals, and provide valuable experience to include on their resume.

5. How can I find and apply for internships in electrical engineering or physics?

There are several ways to find and apply for internships in electrical engineering or physics. Students can check with their university's career center for internship listings, attend job fairs and networking events, or search for opportunities on online job portals. It is also beneficial to connect with professionals in the field through LinkedIn or other networking platforms. Students should also research and apply for internships directly with companies or organizations they are interested in working for.