Electric field strength from two charges

In summary, to calculate the magnitude of the Electric field E at point P, you will need to use the formula E = k x Q / r^2 twice, once for each point charge. With some trigonometry and using vector addition, you can find the final value for E.
pstir2

Homework Statement

Two identical point charges, q1 = +2.5 x 10-6 C and q2 = +2.5 x 10-6 C, are placed as shown in the diagram below. Point P is a distance 0.05 m from q1 and 0.12 m from q2, such that the angle at P is 90 degrees. Calculate the magnitude of the Electric field E at point P.

Homework Equations

E = k x Q / r^2

This plus vector which I suck at.

The Attempt at a Solution

Electric Field Magnitude zz.jpg

So I have created the diagram and I believe I have to use the second formula twice, along with some trigonometry, but I'm not sure.

E1 = k x Q1 / r^2
E1 = k x +2.5 x 10^-6 / 0.05^2
E1 = 9 x 10^6

E2 = k x Q2 / r^2
E2 = k x +2.5 x 10^-6 / 0.12^2
E2 = 1.563 x 10^6

I Can't do vectors at all. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
So now you have two forces, one along the line q1-P and one along the line q2-P. So happens you know the angle between the two. Google vector addition (images) to get an impression of that magic art. Realize that it's really easy when the vectors are at right angles wrt one another. Something Pythagoreran. Bingo.

Related to Electric field strength from two charges

1. What is the formula for calculating electric field strength from two charges?

The formula for calculating electric field strength from two charges is given by the equation E = kQ/r², where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the magnitude of the charges, and r is the distance between the charges.

2. How does the magnitude of the charges affect the electric field strength?

The magnitude of the charges has a direct effect on the electric field strength. As the magnitude of the charges increases, the electric field strength also increases. Similarly, as the magnitude of the charges decreases, the electric field strength decreases.

3. What is the relationship between distance and electric field strength in two charges?

The relationship between distance and electric field strength in two charges is inverse square. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the electric field strength decreases and vice versa.

4. Can the direction of the electric field be determined from two charges?

Yes, the direction of the electric field can be determined from two charges. The electric field lines always point away from a positive charge and towards a negative charge.

5. How does the presence of other charges affect the electric field strength from two charges?

The presence of other charges can affect the electric field strength from two charges. The electric field strength can either be strengthened or weakened depending on the relative positions and magnitudes of the other charges. This is known as superposition, where the total electric field at a point is the sum of the electric fields from each individual charge.