Electric Field and Magnitude Problem

In summary, to find the magnitude of the electric field E at point P due to two identical point charges, q1 and q2, placed at a distance of 0.05 m and 0.12 m respectively, with an angle of 90 degrees at point P, you can use the formula E = k x Q / r^2. Decompose the E field at point P due to q1 and q2 into horizontal and vertical components, and then find the resultant field by adding the vectors. This will give you the magnitude of the electric field at point P.
pstir2

Homework Statement

Two identical point charges, q1 = +2.5 x 10-6 C and q2 = +2.5 x 10-6 C, are placed as shown in the diagram below. Point P is a distance 0.05 m from q1 and 0.12 m from q2, such that the angle at P is 90 degrees. Calculate the magnitude of the Electric field E at point P.

Homework Equations

Not sure which of these rules would apply. Also I suck at vectors
F = k x q1 x q2 / r^2

E = k x Q / r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Electric Field Magnitude.jpg

So I have created the diagram and I believe I have to use the second formula twice, along with some trigonometry, but I'm not sure.

E1 = k x Q1 / r^2
E1 = k x +2.5 x 10^-6 / 0.05^2
E1 = 9 x 10^6

E2 = k x Q2 / r^2
E2 = k x +2.5 x 10^-6 / 0.12^2
E2 = 1.563 x 10^6

I Can't do vectors at all. Please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Step 1:
Decompose the E field you got at point P due to q1 to horizontal and vertical components.
Do the same for E field you got at point P due to q2.

pstir2 said:
So I have created the diagram and I believe I have to use the second formula twice, along with some trigonometry, but I'm not sure.
That's exactly correct.

Keep going! Find the field from each charge, then find the resultant field by adding the vectors.

Related to Electric Field and Magnitude Problem

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that is created by electrically charged particles. It is a vector field that exists in the space around a charged particle and exerts a force on other charged particles in its vicinity.

2. How is the magnitude of an electric field calculated?

The magnitude of an electric field is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a test charge by the magnitude of the test charge. This is represented by the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the test charge.

3. How is the direction of an electric field determined?

The direction of an electric field is determined by the direction of the force it exerts on a positive test charge. The field lines point away from a positive charge and towards a negative charge.

4. How does distance affect the magnitude of an electric field?

The magnitude of an electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source charge. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases.

5. What are some real-world applications of electric fields?

Electric fields have many real-world applications, including powering electronic devices, creating lightning, and controlling the movement of charged particles in medical procedures. They are also used in various technologies such as televisions, computers, and cell phones.