Electric field around a sphere with an internal charge distribution

In summary, Gauss's Law states that the net electric flux of a closed surface is equal to the total electric charge inside the surface divided by e0. When using a spherical Gaussian surface, the limits for finding the charge inside the surface are from 0 to r if r is less than the radius of the sphere, and from 0 to a if r is greater than the radius of the sphere. This is because the charge density outside the sphere is zero, so the integral from a to r is also zero.
goohu
Homework Statement
see picture
Relevant Equations
integral E ds = integral charge distribution * 4*pi*R^2 dR
Untitled.png

I'm just going to skip some of the step since I only need help with understanding the last part.
After rearranging the equation stated at "Relevant equation" (and skipping some steps) we will get:
E * 4*pi*e0*R^2 = integral pv * 4*pi*R^2 dR

E = 1/(4*pi*e0*R^2) * 4*pi * integral pv*R^2 dR

E = 1/(e0*R^2) * Q/(pi*a^4) * integral R^3 dR

E = Q / (pi*a^4*e0*R^2) * integral R^3 dR

Now for the last step is where I'm unsure where to put the integral limits.

Inside the sphere (0<R<a): the integral should be from 0 to a?

Outside the sphere (R>a): the integral should be from a to R?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 127
Physics news on Phys.org
Explain what Gauss's Law says. Be specific.

goohu said:
Homework Statement:: see picture
Relevant Equations:: integral E ds = integral charge distribution * 4*pi*R^2 dR

After rearranging the equation stated at "Relevant equation" (and skipping some steps) we will get:
E * 4*pi*e0*R^2 = integral pv * 4*pi*R^2 dR
We most certainly will not. Your left-hand side depends on R while it is an integration variable on the right.

Likes SammyS
Sorry for the late reply.

Gauss law states that the net electric flux of a closed surface is equal to the total electric charge inside the surface divided by e0.

The electric flux is the electric field vectors going through the surface at the normal angle.

E * 4*pi*r^2 = (1/e0) * ∫ pv dV , where pv is the charge distribution and dV is a volume unit.

We can rewrite dV into dr dtheta dphi-> looking at my formula sheet this becomes 4*pi*r^2 dr. This is the same answer to what I got before.

I don't understand what is wrong, there was a similar task solved in class by the teacher. That task was : "Determine the electric field everywhere from the charge distribution given by: " pv = {4R, 0<=R<1 ; 5^2 , 1<= R < 2 ; -8, R = 2}

I'm really confused.

goohu said:
E * 4*pi*r^2 = (1/e0) * ∫ pv dV , where pv is the charge distribution and dV is a volume unit.

We can rewrite dV into dr dtheta dphi-> looking at my formula sheet this becomes 4*pi*r^2 dr. This is the same answer to what I got before.
OK, so you're using a spherical Gaussian surface of radius ##r##. What limits do you use to find the charge inside the Gaussian surface for the case where ##r<a##?

If its inside the sphere then I think the limits should be from 0 to r.

And what happens outside the sphere? I suppose outside the sphere is just empty space so no contribution to the effect on electric field. But it is still affected by the sphere. So what is the electric field outside the sphere?

Maybe integrate from 0 to a and then a to r?

goohu said:
If its inside the sphere then I think the limits should be from 0 to r.
Right.

And what happens outside the sphere? I suppose outside the sphere is just empty space so no contribution to the effect on electric field. But it is still affected by the sphere. So what is the electric field outside the sphere?

Maybe integrate from 0 to a and then a to r?
Good. Regardless of whether ##r<a## or ##r>a##, you still integrate from 0 to ##r## because you have to integrate over the entire volume enclosed in the Gaussian surface. When you're outside the sphere of charge, you get
$$E(4\pi r^2) = \int_0^r \rho(r') 4\pi r'^2\,dr = \int_0^a \rho(r') 4\pi r'^2\,dr' + \int_a^r \rho(r') 4\pi r'^2\,dr'.$$ But remember the charge density ##\rho## vanishes for ##r'>a##, so the last integral is zero.

• Informative
Likes goohu

Related to Electric field around a sphere with an internal charge distribution

1. What is an electric field around a sphere with an internal charge distribution?

The electric field around a sphere with an internal charge distribution refers to the force per unit charge that is exerted on a charged particle placed at any point outside or inside the sphere. It is a vector quantity that is influenced by the magnitude and distribution of charge within the sphere.

2. How is the electric field strength calculated for a sphere with an internal charge distribution?

The electric field strength at any point outside the sphere is given by the equation E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere to the point. Inside the sphere, the electric field strength is given by E = kQr/r^3.

3. What is the relationship between the electric field and the charge distribution within the sphere?

The electric field is directly proportional to the charge distribution within the sphere. This means that as the charge distribution becomes more concentrated, the electric field strength at any point outside the sphere also increases. Similarly, a more spread out charge distribution results in a weaker electric field.

4. How does the electric field change as the distance from the center of the sphere increases?

As the distance from the center of the sphere increases, the electric field strength decreases. This is because the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the center of the sphere. Therefore, the farther away a point is from the sphere, the weaker the electric field will be.

5. Can the electric field around a sphere with an internal charge distribution be negative?

Yes, the electric field around a sphere with an internal charge distribution can be negative. This occurs when the charge distribution within the sphere is not uniform, resulting in regions of positive and negative charge. In this case, the electric field will point in the direction of the net force on a positive test charge, which may be either towards or away from the sphere.