Electric Dipole Selection Rules

In summary, the transition rate for \Deltal = 0 can be found by evaluating the electric dipole matrix elements, which are given by the integral of two wave functions, \Psi_{1,0,0} and \Psi_{2,0,0}, multiplied by the r vector. The selection rule for l is \Deltal = \pm1, so in this case, where \Deltal = 0, the integral should give a value of 0. However, if the wave functions have odd parity, the integration over the whole space will not necessarily give 0. Therefore, the integral must be split into components and evaluated explicitly.
CoreyJKelly

Homework Statement

For [tex]\Delta[/tex]l = 0 the transition rate can be obtained by evaluating the electric dipole matrix elements
given by

[tex]\vec{I}[/tex] = [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\Psi^{*}_{1,0,0}[/tex] (e [tex]\vec{r}[/tex]) [tex]\Psi_{2,0,0}[/tex] d[tex]\tau[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got the two wave functions, neither of which have a theta or phi dependance, so when multiplied by the r vector, I should just get their r components. Evaluating this integral is simple, but I'm not sure if I understand what the answer means.
The selection rule for l is [tex]\Delta[/tex]l =[tex]\pm[/tex]1, so doesn't that mean that this case, where [tex]\Delta[/tex]l = 0 shouldn't be allowed? I might be completely off track, but I thought that the integral would give me 0, proving this, but that's not the value I'm getting. The actual calculation here isn't difficult, but I think I'm missing something conceptually.

Physics news on Phys.org
the operator has odd parity, angular wave functions has parity [tex](-1)^l [/tex].

So [itex]\Psi_{2,0,0}[/itex] means [itex] n=2, l = 0, m = 0 [/itex] right ?

If that is the case, then you see that the total integrand has odd parity, and integration over whole space will give you zero.

Last edited:
Makes sense.. I actually talked to the prof about the question, and it turns out we had to split r into components, and evaluate all three integrals explicitly.. it was a bit annoying, but I got it sorted out. Thanks for the help!

yeah, if you have explicit wave functions, then you just work it out. I was trying to explain the general idea behind the selection rules :)

Related to Electric Dipole Selection Rules

1. What are Electric Dipole Selection Rules?

Electric Dipole Selection Rules are a set of principles used to determine the allowed transitions between energy levels in atoms or molecules due to the absorption or emission of electromagnetic radiation. They describe the conditions that must be satisfied for a transition to occur, such as changes in angular momentum and parity.

2. Why are Electric Dipole Selection Rules important?

Electric Dipole Selection Rules are important because they help us understand and predict the behavior of atoms and molecules under the influence of electromagnetic radiation. They also provide a framework for interpreting spectroscopic data and identifying the electronic and vibrational states of molecules.

3. How were Electric Dipole Selection Rules discovered?

Electric Dipole Selection Rules were first proposed by Arnold Sommerfeld in 1916, and later refined by Paul Dirac in 1927. They were based on the principles of conservation of energy and angular momentum, and were derived from the mathematical equations describing the behavior of atoms and molecules.

4. What are some examples of Electric Dipole Selection Rules?

Some examples of Electric Dipole Selection Rules include the selection rule Δl = ±1, which states that changes in angular momentum must occur in units of one, and the selection rule ΔJ = 0, ±1, which states that changes in total angular momentum must occur in units of 0 or 1. These rules are used to determine the allowed transitions between energy levels in atoms and molecules.

5. Are Electric Dipole Selection Rules always followed?

No, Electric Dipole Selection Rules are not always followed. There are some exceptions to these rules, such as for forbidden transitions that occur due to the presence of a magnetic field or for highly excited states of atoms and molecules. However, in most cases, these rules provide a good approximation for predicting the behavior of atoms and molecules under the influence of electromagnetic radiation.