Question regarding current loops - electric dipole radiation

In summary, the professor did not believe that the electric dipole term always contributes 0 radiation, and so this term was not credited with any radiation in the problem.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

; attempt and equations[/B]
Many times I face problems with a wire loop with some current (which may or may not depend on time, which may or not move) "flowing" in it. And I'm asked to calculate the radiation due to it.
So using the multipole expansion I know that the dominant terms in the radiation will be the electric dipole term, followed by the magnetic dipole term and then the electric quadrupole terms, assuming they are non-zero.
So the first thing to do is to calculate the electric dipole term which is worth ##\vec p = \int \vec r \rho (\vec r ) dV##. And here is my question. Is this electric dipole term always worth 0, because there's no rho? Or must I imagine that there's a rho because there's a current?
In an exam (where I had a circular current loop with ##I(t)=I_0 \cos (\omega t)##), I wrote down that rho=0 so that p(t)=0 and so that there's no radiation due to the electric dipole term. I then went on to calculate the magnetic dipole term (which was non zero) and calculated the radiation due to it. But I was awarded 0 credit whatsoever, because the professor did not buy my explanation for ##\vec p (t) =\vec 0## even though it is true that ##\vec p(t)=\vec 0##. He told me I could have used the continuity equation ##\nabla \cdot \vec J + \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}=0## to show that this moment vanishes (which really complicates things a lot).
So I wonder whether I'm correct to assume that rho=0 or not. And if there's a quick way to show that ##\vec p (t)## vanishes for set up like these.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can have (net) charged objects moving around in the system, then you get a non-zero ρ. Otherwise this term will be zero. Your current loop has zero charge density everywhere if nothing else is specified.

mfb said:
You can have (net) charged objects moving around in the system, then you get a non-zero ρ. Otherwise this term will be zero. Your current loop has zero charge density everywhere if nothing else is specified.
I am not so sure about this now. For instance consider the problem https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/given-a-current-calculate-the-charge-distribution.825923/, there's no mention of rho, only a mention of a current density J.
And it turns out that rho is not worth 0, altough ##\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} = \text{constant}## so that ##\ddot {\vec p } (t)=0## so that there's no radiation due to the dipole term. But rho itself doesn't seem to be 0 even if there was no mention of rho.Edit: So my professor was maybe right not to buy my explanation for ##\vec p(t)=\vec 0##. Actually this dipole moment is likely not 0, but may depend linearly on time. But the second derivative of it with respect to time vanishes and the conclusion is the same, there's no radiation from that dipole term.

fluidistic said:
And it turns out that rho is not worth 0
Yes, because the problem statement gives a J with does not have zero divergence. If your problem is a current loop, this is not the case.
The full problem statement would help if we are talking about a specific problem.

mfb said:
Yes, because the problem statement gives a J with does not have zero divergence. If your problem is a current loop, this is not the case.
The full problem statement would help if we are talking about a specific problem.
Hmm but isn't that particular problem (the one I gave a link) a current loop problem? It's a closed loop with some current in it.

This? No. The current loop would have the same current everywhere along a loop, this current density does not.

Likes fluidistic
mfb said:
This? No. The current loop would have the same current everywhere along a loop, this current density does not.
Ok thanks a lot... Then I've no idea why my professor gave me no credit for a whole problem for the current loop ##I(t)=I_0 \cos ( \omega t)##, I stated that ##\vec p (t)=0## because rho =0. So that this dipole term did not contribute to the radiation. I had calculated the E and B radiation fields as well as the total power radiated due to a circular current loop with the current I just wrote. I did all good except for the justification that the dipole term does not radiate. And apparently rho=0 is a valid/solid justification... oh well, this hurts.

Related to Question regarding current loops - electric dipole radiation

1. What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges separated by a small distance. It can be represented by a positive and negative charge with a vector pointing from the negative charge to the positive charge.

2. How is an electric dipole related to current loops?

An electric dipole can be created by having a current loop with current flowing in opposite directions on either side of the loop. This creates a magnetic dipole moment, which is equivalent to an electric dipole moment.

3. What is the significance of electric dipole radiation?

Electric dipole radiation refers to the emission of electromagnetic waves from an accelerated electric dipole. This radiation is important in various fields such as radio communication, satellite technology, and medical imaging.

4. How does the orientation of a current loop affect electric dipole radiation?

The orientation of a current loop can greatly affect the strength and direction of electric dipole radiation. For example, if the current loop is perpendicular to the direction of propagation of the electromagnetic waves, the radiation will be strongest in the direction of the loop's magnetic moment.

5. Can electric dipole radiation be detected?

Yes, electric dipole radiation can be detected using various instruments such as antennas or receivers. The strength of the radiation can also be measured by the magnitude of the electric and magnetic fields produced by the radiation.