El Laberinto del Fauno Movie Review - Wow! Go Watch It!

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Del
In summary, "El Laberinto del Fauno" follows the story of a young girl named Ofelia who discovers a mysterious labyrinth and meets a faun who tells her she is a long-lost princess of the underworld. To reclaim her throne, Ofelia must complete three tasks while navigating the dangers of her stepfather's oppressive regime. The movie is more accurately described as a dark fairy tale, with themes of innocence, loss, and rebellion against authority. The main characters include Ofelia, her stepfather Captain Vidal, her pregnant mother Carmen, and the faun. "El Laberinto del Fauno" is unique in its blend of fantasy and reality, exploration of complex themes, stunning visuals, and haunting score. While
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I just saw this movie yesterday. Wow. Go and watch it.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's playing in the US with the title 'Pan's Labrynth'. Not my kind of film though.

Gokul43201 said:
It's playing in the US with the title 'Pan's Labrynth'. Not my kind of film though.

That is a permissible opinion in some liberalistic meaning of the word "permissible", I suppose..:mad:

Related to El Laberinto del Fauno Movie Review - Wow! Go Watch It!

1. What is the plot of "El Laberinto del Fauno"?

The movie follows the story of a young girl named Ofelia who moves to a rural area of Spain with her pregnant mother to live with her stepfather, a ruthless military captain. Ofelia discovers a mysterious labyrinth and meets a faun who tells her she is a long-lost princess of the underworld. To reclaim her throne, Ofelia must complete three tasks while navigating the dangers of her stepfather's oppressive regime.

2. Is "El Laberinto del Fauno" a horror movie?

While the movie does have elements of fantasy and horror, it is more accurately described as a dark fairy tale. The themes of innocence, loss, and rebellion against authority make it a thought-provoking and emotionally impactful film.

3. Who are the main characters in "El Laberinto del Fauno"?

The main characters are Ofelia, her stepfather Captain Vidal, her pregnant mother Carmen, and the faun. Other notable characters include Mercedes, a housekeeper who helps Ofelia, and Dr. Ferreiro, a doctor who secretly supports the rebels.

4. What makes "El Laberinto del Fauno" unique compared to other movies?

The movie is unique in its blending of fantasy and reality, as well as its exploration of complex themes such as the loss of innocence and the brutality of war. Director Guillermo del Toro also infuses the film with stunning visuals and a haunting musical score, creating a truly immersive experience for viewers.

5. Do I need to be familiar with Spanish history to understand "El Laberinto del Fauno"?

No, the movie can be enjoyed without prior knowledge of Spanish history. However, understanding the political and social context of the film, particularly the Spanish Civil War, can enhance the viewing experience and provide deeper insight into the characters and their motivations.