Efficient C++ String Manipulation: Tips and Tricks from Experts

• C/C++
  • Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    C++ Strings
In summary: St1;The name stored in memory is: TestThe name stored in memory is: TesterThe name stored in memory is: Tester123
Tom.G said:
My oh my, how apropos!
yungman said:
What do you mean?

He means you said "leaning" and not "learning".

yungman said:
I have been thanking everyone that help me all the time. Read my past posts. I can't say enough thanks to Mark and Jarvis lately for all the help.

There have been 21 people who have helped you over the last bunch of threads. Deciding to thank two of them may be viewed as a snub by the other 19.

Technology news on Phys.org
Vanadium 50 said:
He means you said "leaning" and not "learning".
There have been 21 people who have helped you over the last bunch of threads. Deciding to thank two of them may be viewed as a snub by the other 19.
Did you read, I said lately. I thank everyone that help me.

I just want to tell this as it can be funny...not for me!

I spent the time working on the pointers since yesterday because I have a program on Class Object that gave me like 20 error on the funniest thing. Since Class Object like the header file is similar to function but just external to the main file. So I worked on the pointers in function call to make sure I really understand this.

So I finally went back to the Class Object program...Still 20+ mistakes. Sure I saw some problems on the pointer which became very obvious after working on it. I fixed all those, but still 20+ mistakes. I started to look around because I have faith on the pointer part. Guess what I found?! I forgot to put in using namespace std; in the .h file! I put it in, it compiled one time through. Something is still not working, but this is a big step forward. Now it's just regular troubleshooting.

I am glad I spent last night and this morning to work on the pointers to pointers. Now it's crystal clear for me. I can spot the mistake in the Class program just like that!

That's why I keep making up programs to revisit the older topics in the former chapters. Now that I review pointers, dynamic memory allocations, the next is FILES, with seekp() and seekg() member functions. I feel this is the best way to learn for old leaky brain. Just do it over and over.

yungman said:
I just want to tell this as it can be funny...not for me!

I spent the time working on the pointers since yesterday because I have a program on Class Object that gave me like 20 error on the funniest thing. Since Class Object like the header file is similar to function but just external to the main file. So I worked on the pointers in function call to make sure I really understand this.

So I finally went back to the Class Object program...Still 20+ mistakes. Sure I saw some problems on the pointer which became very obvious after working on it. I fixed all those, but still 20+ mistakes. I started to look around because I have faith on the pointer part. Guess what I found?! I forgot to put in using namespace std; in the .h file! I put it in, it compiled one time through. Something is still not working, but this is a big step forward. Now it's just regular troubleshooting.

I am glad I spent last night and this morning to work on the pointers to pointers. Now it's crystal clear for me. I can spot the mistake in the Class program just like that!

That's why I keep making up programs to revisit the older topics in the former chapters. Now that I review pointers, dynamic memory allocations, the next is FILES, with seekp() and seekg() member functions. I feel this is the best way to learn for old leaky brain. Just do it over and over.
Yes! As they say, "Practice makes perfect."

Don't try to rush thru everything, try for a deeper understanding before jumping forward.

Many of use will read thru most or all of the documentation before we try a new language, or even a new program. That way we get a general idea of how it all fits together and an impression of the thought processes needed to understand it.

It sounds like you are starting to get this realization, follow thru on it and you may find it actually works for you! If not, you can always fall back on what does work.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes Mark44 and yungman
Tom.G said:
Yes! As they say, "Practice makes perfect."

Don't try to rush thru everything, try for a deeper understanding before jumping forward.

Many of use will read thru most or all of the documentation before we try a new language, or even a new program. That way we get a general idea of how it all fits together and an impression of the thought processes needed to understand it.

It sounds like you are starting to get this realization, follow thru on it and you may find it actually works for you! If not, you can always fall back on what does work.

Cheers,
Tom
Thanks you for the encouragement. I needed that. Particularly I was tripped up by the algebra question from my little grand daughter. She's only freshman in high school! We Chinese called this the old cat got its whiskers burned.

Thanks

Likes Tom.G
Just a heads up, it's not good to put using namespace... in a header file. If you put it in a source file, it's usually ok because it only affects the source file, but if you do it in a header file, it applies to every file that includes it, and every file that includes a file that includes it.

Likes yungman
Jarvis323 said:
Just a heads up, it's not good to put using namespace... in a header file. If you put it in a source file, it's usually ok because it only affects the source file, but if you do it in a header file, it applies to every file that includes it, and every file that includes a file that includes it.
Thanks. Why is that so? I know I read from Mark also, but the books keep using it. I know I need to type std::cout <<...; every time if I don't use namespace std. I was wondering why my invItem.h need it. I don't have cin or cout:
C++:
#ifndef invItem_H
#define invItem_H
#include <cstring>
#include <string>
using namespace std;
class invItem
{
private:
    string* description;
    double cost;
    int units;
public:
//Constructor. pointer desc points to C-string, c for cost, u for units.
    invItem(string** desc, double c, int u)
    {
        string St2 = **desc;//St2 = St1 in main.
        int length = St2.length();
        description = new string[length];//allocate new memory using pointer description.
        *description = St2;//copy the description to memory
        *desc = description;
        cost = c; units = u;
    }
Which one of this code need using namespace std ? Do I just put std:: in front of the ones that need it? I just never look at this at all.

Thanks

yungman said:
Thanks. Why is that so? I know I read from Mark also, but the books keep using it. I know I need to type std::cout <<...; every time if I don't use namespace std. I was wondering why my invItem.h need it. I don't have cin or cout:
C++:
#ifndef invItem_H
#define invItem_H
#include <cstring>
#include <string>
using namespace std;
class invItem
{
private:
    string* description;
    double cost;
    int units;
public:
//Constructor. pointer desc points to C-string, c for cost, u for units.
    {
        description = new string[length];//allocate new memory using pointer description.
        *desc = description;
        cost = c; units = u;
    }
Which one of this code need using namespace std ? Do I just put std:: in front of the ones that need it? I just never look at this at all.

Thanks
Like I said, it's usually fine in a cpp file, but should be avoided in .h files.

The answers here explain it better than I can.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5849457/using-namespace-in-c-headers

std:: goes in front of string, cout, endl, ifstream, or any object from the C++ standard library.

Likes yungman
Jarvis323 said:
Like I said, it's usually fine in a cpp file, but should be avoided in .h files.

The answers here explain it better than I can.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5849457/using-namespace-in-c-headers

std:: goes in front of string, cout, endl, ifstream, or any object from the C++ standard library.
Thank you, no wonder I got error lining up on me! I only know cin and cout!

That I can do on the .h files from now on.

I changed my .h files and use std::, works, no big deal. Just use that from now on.

I have a general, The book use C-String and char array a lot. I find using std::string a lot better. I don't have to worry about length, copying is easy, just St1 = St2 will copy over. Set up dynamic memory and file is easier. I don't see any advantage of using C-String. Not to mention, cout is easier, just cout << St1; That's it! I have been changing all the programs in the books from C-string to std::string for a while already. I hate dealing with the length when passing back and fore to function and all that.

Tell me what am I missing.

Thanks

yungman said:
Tell me what am I missing.
You are missing the point that was discussed about 500 posts ago in a different thread that the ease of use of the Standard Template Library (STL) classes comes with three penalties:
  • The compier has to add the relevant parts of the STL code to your executable. If you are writing code for a microcontroller in a toaster or a fighter jet you may not have enough program memory to store it.
  • STL programs achieve their ease of use by liberal use of heap memory: for instance when you concatenate a single char to a 128 char long string it will leave the existing string on the heap and add a new string 129 chars long. If you are writing code for a microcontroller in a toaster or a fighter jet you may not have enough RAM to store it all potentially leading to burnt toast or losing control of your plane.
  • From time to time you may need to deal with an ever-growing heap by deleting the no longer needed space and moving the current references into it - this is called 'garbage collection' (GC). The STL can do this for you, or you can do it yourself but whichever way you do it you can't use the heap while it is happening. Toast that is overdone by 100 ms is not a problem, but it could be critical in say the stability controller of an aeroplane. Even with greater computing power, GC can be a problem in applications where timing is critical e.g. Digital Signal Processing (DSP).
So only use the STL when you have enough resources to do so and timing is not critical. But of course if you have plenty of resources and timing is not critical then you may as well use a more modern language than C++ that is easier to program in and debug! Microcontrollers with multi-core processors and large memories are now on the market that allow you to do exactly that e.g. in CircuitPython, Lua or Node.js.

Likes yungman
pbuk said:
You are missing the point that was discussed about 500 posts ago in a different thread that the ease of use of the Standard Template Library (STL) classes comes with three penalties:
  • The compier has to add the relevant parts of the STL code to your executable. If you are writing code for a microcontroller in a toaster or a fighter jet you may not have enough program memory to store it.
  • STL programs achieve their ease of use by liberal use of heap memory: for instance when you concatenate a single char to a 128 char long string it will leave the existing string on the heap and add a new string 129 chars long. If you are writing code for a microcontroller in a toaster or a fighter jet you may not have enough RAM to store it all potentially leading to burnt toast or losing control of your plane.
  • From time to time you may need to deal with an ever-growing heap by deleting the no longer needed space and moving the current references into it - this is called 'garbage collection' (GC). The STL can do this for you, or you can do it yourself but whichever way you do it you can't use the heap while it is happening. Toast that is overdone by 100 ms is not a problem, but it could be critical in say the stability controller of an aeroplane. Even with greater computing power, GC can be a problem in applications where timing is critical e.g. Digital Signal Processing (DSP).
So only use the STL when you have enough resources to do so and timing is not critical. But of course if you have plenty of resources and timing is not critical then you may as well use a more modern language than C++ that is easier to program in and debug! Microcontrollers with multi-core processors and large memories are now on the market that allow you to do exactly that e.g. in CircuitPython, Lua or Node.js.
Thanks so much for the reply. I did not know that. I don't recall I ever ask this question. I don't even know enough to ask.

Yes, this is VERY VERY important point. Particularly all the CPU relate design were MPU with very limited RAM. I have been talking about this all along that higher level language and all the fancy style programming assume there are unlimited amount of resources. I also complained a lot about the how slow the newer stuffs are.

Thank you.

In C++ there is no garbage collection. But variable size STL containers may allocate more than they need at the moment so they don't need to reallocate so frequently. For example, if you add to a string and the new length is longer than the allocated memory, then it will need to allocate new memory. But it will always delete the old memory at that time. Also, when the string goes out of scope, the memory is freed. There will never be garbage piling up so to speak.

Likes yungman
yungman said:
The book use C-String and char array a lot.
These are almost the same, with the only difference being that a C-string is a null-terminated array of type char, and a char array is just an array of type char.
The C standard library functions rely on a string being null-terminated so that copying strings works correctly, the length is calculated correctly, appending strings works correctly, and so on.
yungman said:
C++:
#ifndef invItem_H
#define invItem_H
#include <cstring>                                   // 1) Delete this line
#include <string>                                            
using namespace std;
class invItem
{
private:
    string* description;
    double cost;
    int units;
public:
//Constructor. pointer desc points to C-string, c for cost, u for units.                   // 2) comment incorrect
    {
        *desc = description;
        cost = c; units = u;
    }
The line with "#include <cstring>" should be deleted. The code shown doesn't use any C-strings.
The comment for the constructor is wrong on two counts.
1) The desc parameter is a pointer to a pointer to a string object.
2) The object being pointed to is not a C-string (which would be a null-terminated char array).

Likes yungman
Thanks guys, I am the student here, so is it not good to use strings over c-strings, or it's not that much difference? This is way beyond my head, I don't know anything on the internal mechanism of these.

My issue with C-string is when I pass into a function, if the function want to change the content before returning back to main, I have to keep track with the different length. If the return c-string is longer, that won't work as the length is defined in the main already. I have to play around with it. For strings, it doesn't matter. If it is only more complicate in compiling stage, that's ok. If it takes up much more memory during execution, that's not good.

Of cause, I can always make it longer, but then I have to be careful with the termination character. I ran into problem before that it output bunch of garbage because the array is longer than the c-string and it kept outputing garbage!

Thanks

yungman said:
Thanks guys, I am the student here, so is it not good to use strings over c-strings, or it's not that much difference?
There's a big difference between C-strings (i.e., null terminated character arrays) and the standard template library (STL) string template class. C-strings are so called because this is how strings were implemented in C, before C++ came on the scene.
A C-string consists of consecutive bytes in memory, and nothing else. A string object contains methods, such as length and size and a lot more, in addition to the characters that make up the string.
yungman said:
My issue with C-string is when I pass into a function, if the function want to change the content before returning back to main, I have to keep track with the different length. If the return c-string is longer, that won't work as the length is defined in the main already.
When you pass a C-string to a function, what's being passed is a pointer to the first character of the string. If your function is intended to modify a C-string parameter, you'll run into problems if the function tries to insert more characters than the C-string had allocated to it.
Here's a simple example of what I'm talking about.
C++:
#include <cstring>        // For strcpy_s()
#include <iostream>
using std::cout;
using std::endl;

void modifyStr(char * str);

int main()
{    
    char Str[10] = "dogs";
    cout << "Before modification: " << Str << endl;
    modifyStr(Str);
    cout << "After modification: " << Str << endl;
}

void modifyStr(char * str)
{
    strcpy_s(str, sizeof("hot dogs"), "hot dogs");
}
The copy will work as long as I don't try to copy a string that's too long to fit in the 10 bytes that are allocated for the Str array.
The strcpy_s() function is a MSFT extension that is more secure than the older standard library C function strcpy().

Likes yungman and sysprog
Thanks Mark

Yes, I understand about we only pass the address of C-String to function, that if I expect function to change it, I have to declare the char array longer to cover the extra length like in your program.

My question is whether I can make using std::string not wasting more space than using c-string. I have not study Std::string class in detail, I saw chapter on Std stuffs. I don't have any idea about the memory usage and speed. I have been using std::strings in my program for a while because it's much easier to use. If there is a true disadvantage on RAM usage and running speed, I have to go back and practice using c-string. I have to say I am not nearly as familiar with c-strings as the real string as I have decided to concentrate on using std::string a while back. So I need to determine whether I need to back track.

I am glad I ask this question, I never stop and think about this. std::strings are just so much easier to use. On top, it's easy to copy, concanticate and all the other things. A lot of c-string manipulation has to specify the length and all.

Thanks

yungman said:
My question is whether I can make using std::string not wasting more space than using c-string.
An STD string object will generally take up more space in memory, I believe, because in addition to the memory used to store the characters in the string, there is also memory set aside in reserve, in case you append some more characters to the string.

Likes yungman
Mark44 said:
An STD string object will generally take up more space in memory, I believe, because in addition to the memory used to store the characters in the string, there is also memory set aside in reserve, in case you append some more characters to the string.

Ha ha, wrong answer! That's not I want to hear! I thought if I kept asking, I'd get a different answer!

Yeh, that's what I am afraid of already. I am working on a new program and I just made part 1 working, I already stopped and changing from strings to c-string to start over again right now. Well, it's better to know now than later. I am sure I will have a little learning curve as I am more familiar with strings at this point.

Thanks for your time.

yungman said:
That's not I want to hear!
We're just talking about a few bytes, say 20 to 30, so it's not like a massive hit on memory.

Likes yungman
Mark44 said:
We're just talking about a few bytes, say 20 to 30, so it's not like a massive hit on memory.
Ah, it's time for me to get more familiar with c-string anyway, what is an extra day or so.

Thanks

Come to think about it, for example, if you want to input names, some Europeans have really long names. If you have to declare a char array to accommodate that, you have to set up a long array. It might end up wasting space for people with short names. std::strings might not be bad in this case.

BTW, surprisingly, I made the part 1 of my program work with c-strings already, not much issue. Just don't need as much pointers as the array itself is an address. It does make passing parameter easier.

Jarvis323 said:
In C++ there is no garbage collection.
Yes, good catch. What I was talking about was actually heap fragmentation, but the effect on a microcontroller is much the same.

pbuk said:
Yes, good catch. What I was talking about was actually heap fragmentation, but the effect on a microcontroller is much the same.
Ha ha, You ruin my day!

But thank you for saying that. It's better to find out now than later. I am changing my program to c-string right now.

Thanks

A std::string is a more complicated object (internally) than a C-string, and takes up more memory than a C-string (which is after all just an array of chars). For example, a std::string keeps track of how many characters it contains, as an int buried somewhere inside it.

You gain something in exchange for the extra space and internal complexity: the ability to do easily, things that might need a lot of work on your part if you had used C-strings. Consider this:
C++:
string firstName, lastName;
cout << "Enter your first name: ";
cin >> firstName;
cout << "Enter your last name: ";
cin >> lastName;
string fullName = firstName + " " + lastName;
Suppose you use C-strings instead. You now have to tell the user how many characters (max) that he can enter for each name, and you should be ready to deal with a stubborn user who tries to enter too many characters. With std::string, no problem. Each string allocates enough memory to accommodate whatever the user enters.

Then, when you put the names together to get the full name, you have to calculate how many total characters there are, and dynamically allocate an array of the correct size using "new". std::string takes care of all this for you automatically.

So there's a tradeoff. If you need to work close to hardware level, with "small" processors and limited amounts of memory, then C-style ways of doing things may be better, at the cost of you having to spend more programming time to get things to work right in all circumstances. If you're working with a typical desktop computer, tablet, or even phone, you have oodles of memory and lots of computing power, and can easily afford to let it do more of your work for you.

Likes pbuk, Mark44 and yungman
I am not in a position to look at code, but I believe an STL string can be is small as one or three bytes longer than a c_string. A c_string is the size of the string + 1 byte for the terminating zero. A STL string can be resized to the length of the string plus the value of the length of the string, 2 bytes for a short and 4 bytes for an int.

Worrying about an extra byte is silly.

A Google search for "c++ std::string implementation" led me to this as the first hit:

libc++'s implementation of std::string

Long, long ago, before the 1998 C++ standard introduced std::string, it was a common exercise for C++ textbooks and students to create their own string class. Usually it consisted of a struct with two members: a pointer to a dynamically allocated char array, and an int which contained the size of the array.

That's actually pretty close to what's described in the linked article! Its struct has two ints: one for the size (capacity) of the dynamic char array, and one for the actual number of chars stored in it. In general, the array is larger than necessary, so that chars can be added to it without always having to reallocate the array and copy all the chars to the new array.

The clever thing is that for very short strings ("short string mode"), the chars are stored directly in the struct, apparently using a union. :cool:

This is just one implementation of std::string. As I understand it, in general the C++ standard doesn't require specific implementations for strings, vectors, etc. Instead, it specifies the interfaces to their member functions, and their performance characteristics. Compiler writers are free to use any implementation which meets those requirements.

Always look at the first line of the errors list. It says 'variable invItem::length is uninitialized. Always intitialize a member variable'. Take a look at where you define invItem::length and you will find your problem.

You got into this habit of not initializing variables very early on and ingnored advice that this was a bad thing; worse you started to write code like
C:
int one;
one = 2;
Do you now understand why this is nonsense?

Also, on lines 5-7 of invItem.h you have defined global variables description, cost and units. Can you explain your thought process behind this?

jtbell said:
So there's a tradeoff. If you need to work close to hardware level, with "small" processors and limited amounts of memory, then C-style ways of doing things may be better, at the cost of you having to spend more programming time to get things to work right in all circumstances. If you're working with a typical desktop computer, tablet, or even phone, you have oodles of memory and lots of computing power, and can easily afford to let it do more of your work for you.
This cannot be stressed enough.

It is insane to 'unlearn' everything you have learned with std::string. 99% of the time, this is the class to use when writing C++ code. String handling is not something we do much on microcontrollers: the most I have ever done is write a WiFi connection status and IP address to a 128 pixel wide OLED and this can easily be done with a C-string. But if I am writing a program to process a text file on a PC then I will do it in Python of course I would use std::string.

pbuk said:
Always look at the first line of the errors list. It says 'variable invItem::length is uninitialized. Always intitialize a member variable'. Take a look at where you define invItem::length and you will find your problem.

You got into this habit of not initializing variables very early on and ingnored advice that this was a bad thing; worse you started to write code like
C:
int one;
one = 2;
Do you now understand why this is nonsense?

Also, on lines 5-7 of invItem.h you have defined global variables description, cost and units. Can you explain your thought process behind this?
I deleted the post, I want to check more first.

yungman said:
I deleted the post, I want to check more first.
The time to 'check more first' is before you first post it, not after someone has helped you with it. Goodbye, and good luck.

Likes Vanadium 50 and phinds
I reposting the same issue. My original post was VALID. I checked very carefully. I did NOT miss declaring variables as BEING ACCUSED. The ONLY reason I deleted the post was I left out one std::string and I had to change it back to c-string. NOT that I retract what I said.

Now that I fixed everything, I have to EXACT same problem with VS. My original project FAILS, I copy the error list below. I copied the .h and .cpp to a brand new created project. I compiled and ran like a champ.

This is the source.cpp file.
C++:
#include <iostream>
#include <iomanip>
#include <string>
#include "invItem.h"
using namespace std;
int main()
{
    const int size = 21;
    //call default constructor #1
    char cAr[size] = "Hammer";
    invItem item1;
    item1.setDesc(cAr);
    item1.setCost(6.95);
    item1.setUnits(12);

//call constructor #1 with all parammeters.
    cout << left << setw(30) << " Item description: " << item1.getDesc() << "\n";
    cout << left << setw(30) << " Cost: " << "$" << item1.getCost() << "\n";
    cout << left << setw(30) << " Units on hand: " << item1.getUnits() << "\n\n";
    return 0;
}

This is the invItem.h file:
C++:
#ifndef invItem_H
#define invItem_H
#include <cstring>
#include <string>class invItem
{
private:
    char* description;
    int L = 21;//default length.
    double cost;
    int units;
public:
    //Constructor #1 with no parameter
    invItem()
    {
        description = new char[L];
        *description = '\0';//First char = NULL
        cost = 0.0; units = 0;
    }

//Mutator function
    void setDesc(char* d) { description = d; }
    void setCost(double c) { cost = c; }
    void setUnits(int u) { units = u; }
    //Accessor functions
    const char* getDesc() const { return description; }
    double getCost() const { return cost; }
    int getUnits() const { return units; }
};
#endif

This is the error list:
Error 10_15.jpg

I have no idea what all the complains of already defined in invItem.obj. I stress again, the exact same two files that give error, when copied into a new project, it ran. I compared most of the Project-->Properties, both projects looks the same. There must be some setting in VS that is different.Please help.

Thanks

Last edited:
pbuk said:
The time to 'check more first' is before you first post it, not after someone has helped you with it. Goodbye, and good luck.
You did NOT read the content of my post before you made the accusation. You accusation was WRONG. I checked everything carefully. Did you read that I copied the EXACT .h and .cpp into another project and it compiled and ran like a champ? I bet you did not read that.

I'm not sure where to start because there are some major fundamental problems with it. I think it might be time to go back to the books. Then maybe just delete this program entirely and start over following the book more closely.

But just to let you know, the errors are due to the global variables in the header file. The contents of the header file are inserted into the files that include it. In your case, you're inserting those global variables into multiple different cpp files, and that means you have multiple definitions of them.

Last edited:
I don't use VS, so I won't comment on the error messages specifically (at least now). However one thing jumps out at me immediately when looking at your code.

In invItem.h, I suspect that description, cost and units (lines 5,6,7) are intended to be the private member data of an object of class invItem. In their current location, they are outside of the class definition which begins at line 8. They should be inside the class definition, below the current line 10 which marks the beginning of the private section.