EE or ME -- which do you find more difficult?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of mechanical engineering versus electrical engineering. The speaker believes that mechanical engineering is more difficult due to the need to rely on intuition and common sense, while with electrical engineering one can simply trust the math. They also mention that with the rise of digital and electric technology, more people may be familiar with electrical components. However, the choice of engineering field may not be as important as the specific sub-specialty and one's personal preferences for field work or design work.
vco
I seem to be in a minority for thinking that mechanical engineering is more difficult than electrical engineering. Difficult for me, I mean.

To me, mechanical engineering is more difficult largely because in mechanics your intuition and common sense are often trying to mislead you. With electrical engineering, it is easy to just "trust the math" and accept that this is how physics works.

In numerical simulation the model is usually more complex if it is a mechanical system than an electromagnetic system.

Also, we are living in a digital/electric age, therefore many people starting to learn engineering are more familiar with electrical components than mechanical components -- myself included, even though I chose to study mechanical engineering.

The reason I chose mechanical engineering back in the day was because I found mechanical topics such as structural mechanics and heat transfer interestingly challenging for me. Topics such as circuits and electric motors/generators felt quite straightforward.

But perhaps I would have become a better engineer if I had chosen electrical engineering since I found it easier?

Physics news on Phys.org
IMO, your choice of engineering field is less important that you think. In every field, there are countless sub-specialties, and the skills needed for each may mirror the same skills used in other engineering branches.

Instead of EE versus ME, you might think about field work versus design work. Each of us has preferences.

Likes jasonRF

Related to EE or ME -- which do you find more difficult?

1. What is the difference between EE and ME?

EE stands for Electrical Engineering and ME stands for Mechanical Engineering. EE focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism, while ME focuses on the design and production of mechanical systems and machines.

2. Which one is more difficult, EE or ME?

It is subjective and depends on an individual's strengths and interests. Some may find EE more difficult due to its heavy focus on mathematics and abstract concepts, while others may find ME more challenging due to its hands-on and practical approach.

3. Are there any similarities between EE and ME?

Yes, both fields require a strong foundation in math and physics. They also require problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and attention to detail. Additionally, there are areas of overlap, such as in the design and development of mechatronic systems.

4. Can someone with an EE degree work in the ME field, and vice versa?

Yes, there is some flexibility in the job market for individuals with either degree to work in the other field. However, it may require additional training or education to bridge the knowledge gap in certain areas.

5. Which field offers better job opportunities?

Both fields have a high demand for skilled professionals, and job opportunities can vary depending on the industry and location. It is important to research and consider your interests and strengths when choosing a career path rather than solely focusing on job opportunities.