ECE options: nanotechonology and biomedic engineering

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's dilemma in choosing between two options for their electrical engineering degree: biomedical engineering and nanotechnology & micro-system. The speaker is interested in the signal and communication aspect of engineering, but these courses are not offered at their school. They are also unsure about the focus of UBC in these areas. The other person suggests looking into a general degree in electrical engineering and choosing electives related to signals and communications, or focusing on the biomedical signal processing aspect within the BME option. They also mention the possibility of gaining research experience in this field to aid in future grad school applications.
kougou
Hello guys

I am from UBC, Canada, eletricial engineering. After second year, we are currently declaring options:
two in my particular interests are "biomedical engineering" and "nanotechnology & micro-system".

I have already investigated about the courses offered by these two options. But I still haven't able to decide one.

First, UBC is known for its med school. Therefore, one could conclude that the BME has lots of funding in their departments, and therefore, BME is a higher quality program in UBC here.
However, in BME, we are studying about the x-ray devices and the how the electronics are are used in human body. For this part, I don't hate/like. But I do like to do some about the signal or communication. But unfortunately, communication is not offered in my school; but they have several courses which seem to be attractive.

On the other hand, I don't have any passion toward nano either. Nano has bright future because almost every electronics devices are aiming to become smaller nowadays. Also, I don't think this option is the focus area of UBC. Therefore, I couldn't decide.

Yes. I am planning to go to grad school. What do you guys think

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally speaking, you should not go into something you do not like.

I am only mildly familiar with UBC's program (I go to the other university in Vancouver), so take this with a grain of salt. This page:

http://www.ece.ubc.ca/academic-programs/undergraduate/programs/electrical-engineering-program

says that you do not have to choose an option, and instead "complete a general degree in Electrical Engineering". Have you looked into doing that? Can you choose your electives so that you take a few signals/communications courses?

Another possibility is to go down the BME route, but try to focus as much as possible on the biomedical signal processing aspects. That is, in fact, one of UBC ECE's major research areas:

http://www.ece.ubc.ca/research/biomedical-and-multimedia-signal-processing

Looking at the BME curriculum, there are some signals courses in there, so perhaps you could use that as leverage to get a voluntary/co-op research position with one of the professors listed in the above page. This will possibly be helpful for your grad school applications.

Related to ECE options: nanotechonology and biomedic engineering

1. What is nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology is a field of science and engineering that involves the manipulation of matter on an incredibly small scale, typically at the nanometer level (1 nanometer is equal to one billionth of a meter). This field focuses on creating and using materials, devices, and systems at the nanoscale to produce new and innovative technologies.

2. How is nanotechnology used in biomedic engineering?

Nanotechnology has many applications in biomedic engineering, including drug delivery systems, tissue engineering, and medical imaging. For example, nanomaterials can be designed to target specific cells or tissues in the body, making drug delivery more precise and effective. In tissue engineering, nanomaterials can be used to create scaffolds that mimic the structure of natural tissues, promoting the growth of new tissue. Additionally, nanotechnology has enabled the development of advanced medical imaging techniques, such as nanosensors that can detect and track diseases at a cellular level.

3. What are the potential benefits of using nanotechnology in biomedic engineering?

Nanotechnology has the potential to greatly improve the effectiveness and precision of medical treatments. By targeting specific cells or tissues, nanotechnology can minimize side effects and increase the success rate of treatments. It also has the potential to revolutionize medical diagnostics, allowing for earlier and more accurate detection of diseases. Additionally, nanotechnology can improve the efficiency of medical procedures and reduce recovery time for patients.

4. Are there any risks associated with using nanotechnology in biomedic engineering?

As with any emerging technology, there are potential risks associated with using nanotechnology in biomedic engineering. These include the possibility of unintended consequences or side effects, as well as concerns about the environmental impact of nanomaterials. However, these risks are actively being researched and addressed by scientists and regulatory agencies to ensure the safe and responsible use of nanotechnology in biomedic engineering.

5. What advancements can we expect in the future for ECE options: nanotechnology and biomedic engineering?

The potential for nanotechnology in biomedic engineering is vast and constantly evolving. In the future, we can expect to see even more precise and targeted drug delivery systems, advanced tissue engineering techniques, and improved medical imaging technologies. There is also potential for the development of new treatments for diseases, such as cancer, using nanotechnology. As research and technology continue to advance, the possibilities for ECE options in nanotechnology and biomedic engineering are endless.