Dropping an EE Class: Will a W Affect Grad School?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether receiving a "W" on a transcript is bad, specifically in relation to grad school acceptance. The speaker mentions switching majors and wanting to drop a class to work and make money instead. It is suggested that having a "W" on a transcript is not necessarily bad for grad school acceptance, especially if it is the only one and there is a valid reason, such as needing to work for financial reasons. The option of switching the class to a pass/fail option is also mentioned as a possibility.
jaydnul
Is a "W" bad?

I recently switched majors from EE to physics. At the moment i am enrolled in an intro to EE class. Now i want to drop this class, one because i don't need it anymore, and two, i could be working and making money instead of being there. Will the W on my transcript be bad for grad school acceptance? (In general. I am sure it will depend on the school, but in general)

Physics news on Phys.org
probably not, if its the only one and you have a good explanation needing to make money for living.

Can you switch it to pass fail? and then pass it.

Related to Dropping an EE Class: Will a W Affect Grad School?

1. Can dropping an EE class affect my chances of getting into graduate school?

Yes, dropping an EE class can potentially impact your chances of getting into graduate school. Graduate schools typically look for students who are able to handle a challenging course load and dropping a class may raise concerns about your ability to handle the workload in graduate school.

2. Will a W (withdrawal) on my transcript affect my GPA?

Generally, a W will not affect your GPA as it does not factor into the calculation. However, if you have a pattern of multiple withdrawals or if the class you dropped is a prerequisite for a future class, it may raise concerns for graduate schools.

3. Is it better to drop an EE class and get a W or receive a low grade?

It depends on your individual situation and the policies of the graduate schools you are applying to. In some cases, a low grade may be seen as a better option than a W as it may demonstrate your determination and ability to overcome challenges. However, if the low grade will significantly lower your GPA, a W may be a better option.

4. Will I need to explain why I dropped an EE class on my graduate school application?

It is possible that you may need to explain why you dropped an EE class on your graduate school application. Some applications may have a section where you can explain any extenuating circumstances that may have impacted your academic performance. It is important to be honest and provide a valid explanation for your withdrawal.

5. Can I retake the dropped EE class and still apply to graduate school?

Yes, you can retake the dropped EE class and still apply to graduate school. However, it is important to consider the policies of the graduate schools you are applying to. Some schools may only consider your first attempt at a course, while others may average the grades from multiple attempts.