Double major in math & physics- worth the extra time/money?

In summary, the individual is planning on going into the field of astrophysics and will graduate this December with a bachelor's degree in physics. They are considering staying an extra semester to obtain a bachelor's in math, but are already in debt and living far from their long-term significant other. The potential benefits of having both degrees in their chosen field are uncertain, and they should consider their alternatives such as finding a job or pursuing graduate school. Other important factors to consider are whether they plan on attending graduate school and if they have applied or been accepted, and the difficulty of obtaining an assistantship with a Winter/Spring admission.
GoldenLeg
I'll keep it short and sweet.

- Planning on going into the field of astrophysics. That's all I know for now.
- As of now, I'm going to graduate this December with a bachelor's degree in physics.
- If I stay an extra semester, I can also obtain a bachelor's in math.
- Already in debt.
- Living hours away from my girlfriend (been together 6 years) is not easy.

Given the field that I'm going to, how beneficial would it be for me to have both degrees?

Physics news on Phys.org
Having a double major itself is unlikely to have a significant impact on graduate admissions decisions or an overall impact on the rest of your career. The advantages that it may confer would largely come down to the knowledge and skill you would get out of the extra classes that you wouldn't otherwise have. In that respect a lot could really depend on the specific project that you choose to take on for a PhD. The double major would qualify you for graduate work in a mathematics department if you think your interests might lean that way.

With that said, what are the alternatives to the extra semester? Do you think you would be able to get a job if you had that time off? What would it be doing and how much would it pay? And if it was reasonably good, would you be happy to drop it for graduate school? The reason I bring up these questions is that unless you have a plan, it's real easy to do a whole lot of nothing with your time.

If you're very interested in mathematics, then take it.
If you think the bachelors degree in math will somehow help you in your career as astrophysicist, then that's not a sufficient reason.

Likes poseidon721
GoldenLeg said:
I'll keep it short and sweet.

- Planning on going into the field of astrophysics. That's all I know for now.
- As of now, I'm going to graduate this December with a bachelor's degree in physics.
- If I stay an extra semester, I can also obtain a bachelor's in math.
- Already in debt.
- Living hours away from my girlfriend (been together 6 years) is not easy.

Given the field that I'm going to, how beneficial would it be for me to have both degrees?

You left out OTHER important information here:

1. Are you planning on going to graduate school (which is probably needed if you want to go into astrophysics), or are you planning on going into the job market for now?

2. Do you already have an admission into a graduate school, or have you applied to any?

3. Graduating in December and seeking a Winter/Spring admission is usually not as easy as the traditional Fall admission. It will certainly be a lot more difficult, almost impossible, to get any kind of assistantship, so you may end up having to pay for you at least a semester if you receive an admission. Is this something that you have considered?

Zz.

Likes micromass

Related to Double major in math & physics- worth the extra time/money?

What are the benefits of double majoring in math and physics?

Double majoring in math and physics can provide a strong foundation for a career in fields such as engineering, research, and academia. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the connections between these two disciplines and the ability to apply mathematical concepts to real-world physical problems.

Is double majoring in math and physics difficult and time-consuming?

Double majoring in any subject can be challenging, but it ultimately depends on the individual's abilities and dedication. While it may require extra time and effort, the benefits and opportunities that come with a double major can make it worth it in the long run.

Does double majoring in math and physics cost more?

Double majoring in math and physics may require taking additional courses, which can result in a higher tuition cost. However, it is important to consider the potential for higher earning potential and career opportunities with a double major in these STEM fields.

Are there any specific career paths for those with a double major in math and physics?

A double major in math and physics can open up various career paths, including but not limited to data analysis, financial analysis, engineering, research, and teaching. The combination of these two disciplines can also make graduates appealing to employers in a wide range of industries.

Can I still pursue a double major in math and physics if I have not taken advanced courses in high school?

While taking advanced courses in high school can provide a solid foundation for a double major in math and physics, it is not a prerequisite. Students can still pursue a double major in these subjects, but may need to take additional courses to catch up to their peers who have taken advanced courses in high school.