Don't Ever Mention "Centrifugal Force" to Physicists

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct and incorrect usage of the term "centrifugal force." While some argue for its use in certain contexts, others believe it is misleading and should be avoided. The conversation also touches on the use of the term in the context of centrifugal pumps, fans, and compressors, as well as its relationship to centripetal force in uniform circular motion. Ultimately, it is recommended to use the term as it appears in relevant literature or to spend time explaining its use.
Dale said:
As others have said, you cannot feel or measure an inertial force like the centrifugal force. All that you can do is to infer it through the motion of the object wrt some frame given all of the directly measurable real forces.

For example, in a rotating reference frame you do not measure the centrifugal force on a co-rotating object. You measure the real centripetal force, and then because the object is not accelerating you infer that there must exist a centrifugal “inertial” force which balances the real centripetal force.
As I tried to say before in this thread, in the mathematical derivation of the inertial forces in rotating reference frames (rotating against the class of inertial frames to be clear), the inertial forces belong to the left-hand side of Newton's equation ##m \vec{a}=\vec{F}##, i.e., from expressing the components of ##\vec{a}## with respect to the rotating basis in terms of the corresponding position-vector components and its time derivatives:
$$\vec{a}' = \mathrm{D}_t^2 \vec{x}' = \ddot{\vec{x}}' + 2 \vec{\omega}' \times \dot{\vec{x}} + \vec{\omega}' \times (\vec{\omega}' \times \vec{x}') + \dot{\vec{\omega}}' \times \dot{\vec{x}}'.$$
Here ##\vec{x}'## etc. are the components of vectors wrt. the rotating basis, and dots denots usual time derivatives, while ##\mathrm{D}_t## is the "covariant time derivative",
$$\mathrm{D}_t \vec{V}'=\dot{\vec{V}}' + \vec{\omega}' \times \vec{V}',$$
and ##\vec{\omega}'## are the components with respect to the rotating basis of the momentary angular velocity of the rotating basis wrt. an arbitrary inertial basis.

Likes Omega0, dextercioby and Ibix
Physics news on Phys.org
Omega0 said:
Maybe I watched too many movies where I thought afterwards that rotation is a nice alternative to gravitation but it is not.
Actually, locally the centrifugal force is a nice alternative to the force of gravity. Einstein’s equivalence principle, his happiest thought, is that locally gravity is equivalent to an inertial force. It is only over sufficiently large distances and times that the differences between gravity and inertial forces becomes apparent.

Likes Argonaut, hutchphd and vanhees71
Ibix said:
While we're at it, let's swap the sign on the electron charge so electron flow matches conventional current!
To late. That has been done. More than once.
I'm so old that I have seen electricity go three ways.
In high school I was taught that electricity flowed from positive to negative.
Later in trade school, I was taught that electricity was a movement of electrons which moved from negative to positive.
Some years later I went back to trade school as an instructor and electricity was now again flowing from positive to negative.
I heard speculation that too many text books would have to be rewritten if electricity was allowed to remain flowing from negative to positive.

waross said:
To late. That has been done. More than once.
Electric current has always been the flow of positive charge. As it happens. in most conductors we deal with, the charge carriers are negatively charged electrons.
Your instructors may have thought they were helping you but all they succeeded in doing was clearly to confuse you.

Likes Ibix
waross said:
I was taught that electricity was a movement of electrons which moved from negative to positive
It always bugs me when teachers in introductory EM classes focus on the movement of electrons or use the term “conventional current”. It is a complete waste of time and effort for both teachers and students.

Likes hutchphd, sophiecentaur and anorlunda
Dale said:
It always bugs me when teachers in introductory EM classes focus on the movement of electrons or use the term “conventional current”. It is a complete waste of time and effort for both teachers and students.
I got my introduction to Physics before 'new teaching' came along. At a good middle of the road school, I was told that 'Electric Current' goes from + to - and, when we asked about electrons, we were told 'just wait'. A bit later it all made sense and there were no contradictions or confusions.

Likes Dale
sophiecentaur said:
I was told that 'Electric Current' goes from + to - and, when we asked about electrons, we were told 'just wait'. A bit later it all made sense and there were no contradictions or confusions.
Exactly, it is better to postpone that topic until the foundation is ready. Electrons don’t need to be discussed in introductory circuits or EM classes*. They are needed in chemistry, solid state physics, and quantum mechanics.

* The only major exception is the Hall effect, but that usually isn’t covered at all or is covered relatively late.

Likes sophiecentaur
Dale said:
* The only major exception is the Hall effect, but that usually isn’t covered at all or is covered relatively late.
Even in the case of Hall effect, the charge carriers can be positive or negative in semiconductors.

Dale said:
Electrons don’t need to be discussed in introductory circuits or EM classes*
I believe there are aspects of tubes that made it more important to identify the carriers than it does now. Cathode rays no longer abound ion our living rooms !

Likes Dale and sophiecentaur
sophiecentaur said:
Even in the case of Hall effect, the charge carriers can be positive or negative in semiconductors.
Yes, which is another reason not to fixate on electrons too early. There are currents of positive charge carriers

Likes sophiecentaur
Dale said:
Yes, which is another reason not to fixate on electrons too early.
And the same is true of the dreaded photons..

Likes DrClaude
hutchphd said:
tubes
What are these "tubes" of which you speak? :smile:

Small particle accelerators purportedly used by ancient civilizations in their communications devices. (Evidence for Alien intervention in early technology)

Dale said:
Exactly, it is better to postpone that topic until the foundation is ready. Electrons don’t need to be discussed in introductory circuits or EM classes*. They are needed in chemistry, solid state physics, and quantum mechanics.

What about conductors? The idea that they contain charges free to move about in response to external electric fields is essential in understanding electrostatics and Lenz's law. Of course we can pretend that these charges are positive but then a smart student would note that only nuclei contain positive charges and they are certainly not free to move. You can't win this battle.

hutchphd said:
Small particle accelerators purportedly used by ancient civilizations in their communications devices
Preposterous! Next you'll be telling me that in case of suspected failure they had then checked out at a pharmacy!

• Haha
Likes hutchphd
kuruman said:
What about conductors? The idea that they contain charges free to move about in response to external electric fields is essential in understanding electrostatics and Lenz's law.
It's a matter of learning to crawl before you walk. It is very possible to learn a lot of useful things about circuits and circuit analysis without acknowledging fields or charges.

The assumptions in circuit analysis include "no fields outside of conductors" and "no accumulation of charges at nodes". Things like inductors and capacitors are just components with specific behaviors; it's not necessary to learn about their physics in the first course.

Electrostatics and dynamics and fields can come in a later course.
Since Maxwell's equations require more math, it also makes sense to save the second course until the prerequisite math is taught.

Likes Dale
kuruman said:
What about conductors? The idea that they contain charges free to move about in response to external electric fields is essential in understanding electrostatics and Lenz's law.
A conductor is defined by Ohm’s law. No need to discuss electrons. Particularly since not all conductors have mobile electrons.

kuruman said:
a smart student would note that only nuclei contain positive charges and they are certainly not free to move. You can't win this battle.
I absolutely can win. I would tell the students at the beginning that they should forget about electrons until they are ready for quantum mechanics. Any student asking about electrons would then be given an assignment on what electrons actually are in QED. After they completed that they would be allowed to ask about electrons during office hours.

Last edited:
Dale said:
A conductor is defined by Ohm’s law. No need to discuss electrons. Particularly since not all conductors have mobile electrons.
Given Ohm's law, how would you explain charging by induction?

kuruman said:
Given Ohm's law, how would you explain charging by induction?
I wouldn’t. I would use Faraday’s law instead.

Dale said:
I wouldn’t. I would use Faraday’s law instead.
Sorry, I meant this kind of charging by induction.

Charging by induction.jpeg

Sorry,

kuruman said:
Sorry, I meant this kind of charging by induction.

View attachment 321483
Sorry,
What do you think would be the problem? The only difference in how I would teach it would be in figure (b). I would show current going to ground. That would in fact make it easier to teach.

Electrostatic induction works the same regardless of the sign of the charge carriers. Do you think it is necessary for the grounded conductor to be an electrical wire? Couldn’t it just as well be the ocean or some other grounded electrolyte with positive charge carriers? For that matter the ball could be an electrolyte also.

Dale said:
I did not exactly understand what you meant. I took the above to mean that there is no need to discuss any kind of charge carriers free to move inside a conductor. I see now by your statement
Dale said:
The only difference in how I would teach it would be in figure (b). I would show current going to ground.
that you assert the existence free positive charges inside the conductor. More precisely these would be absences of negative charge (dare I say holes?) which of course should also not be mentioned to students. I'm OK with that. However, how we got to this point considering the title of this thread is a source of wonderment.

Likes Dale and ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
but then a smart student would note
A really smart student would appreciate that there is more to the subject than the water analogy would suggest. 'Smart' would imply some ability with Maths and an awareness that 'a physical interpretation' is a false friend. The teacher has responsibility here.
Dale said:
A conductor is defined by Ohm’s law.
Hmmm. 'Ohm's Law' describes how metals behave. I know I'm a voice in the wilderness but the expression R=V/I is only a 'law' when a system behaves linearly; otherwise it is a definition of a handy quantity that is often constant over a range of conditions and which we refer to as Resistance. (Do we call v=s/t the velocity law?)

Ibix said:
While we're at it, let's swap the sign on the electron charge so electron flow matches conventional current!
The most confusing concept is to introduce "conventional current" instead of simply using current density, which is a vector with a magnitude and direction given by the flow of the particles making up the "fluid of charged matter": ##\vec{j}=q n \vec{v}##, where ##q## is the charge of the particles (##-e## for electrons), ##n## the particle-number density, and ##\vec{v}## the fluid-velocity field. Then there's no confusion about the direction of the flow of electric charge and no need for fictitious "conventional currents".

A current is more complicated then current densities anyway, because the sign is not only determined by the flow of the charged medium and the sign of the charges of the particles but also by the arbitrary choice of direction of surface-normal elements of the surface you integrate over to get the current,
$$I=\int_{A} \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{f} \cdot \vec{j}.$$

Likes Dale and sophiecentaur
vanhees71 said:
The most confusing concept is to introduce "conventional current" instead of simply using current density, which is a vector with a magnitude and direction
Problem is that kids minds have already been polluted long before they can grasp vectors or current density. The only safe way is to frown on (you can't 'forbid' these days) using electrons until they are capable of dealing with this stuff.

sophiecentaur said:
The only safe way is to frown on (you can't 'forbid' these days) using electrons until they are capable of dealing with this stuff.
"You want electrons? You can't handle the electrons!"

• Haha
Likes DrClaude and anorlunda
kuruman said:
However, how we got to this point considering the title of this thread is a source of wonderment.
Yes, we are rather far off topic at this point. But nobody has complained yet so “no harm no foul”

sophiecentaur said:
'Ohm's Law' describes how metals behave.
Ohm’s law describes how conductors behave. Metals are conductors, but so are electrolytes. I understand your objection to calling it a law. To me that is just a historical accident.

sophiecentaur said:
Problem is that kids minds have already been polluted long before they can grasp vectors or current density. The only safe way is to frown on (you can't 'forbid' these days) using electrons until they are capable of dealing with this stuff.
Hm, but with the fluid picture of electric currents everything gets more transparent. Of course, point particles in classical electrodynamics should be avoided, but fluids are fine and very intuitive.

What I found most confusing was the use of the integral formulation of Maxwell's equations, which seems to be still the standard didactic approach in highschool even today more than 30 years later. For me reading the Feynman lectures which finally introduced me to the local form, was a revelation. Particularly all these sign issues become much more simple. You just have to learn how to orient the boundaries of volumes (surfaces) relative to these volumes (boundary-surface-normal vectors out of the volume) and surfaces (boundary path oriented relative to the sufrace-normal vectors according to the right-hand rule), i.e., as in the standard use for the Gauss and Stokes integral theorems.

sophiecentaur said:
but the expression R=V/I is only a 'law' when a system behaves linearly;
But it is also very useful for piecewise linear analysis in nonlinear regions. When I say "it" I mean not just Ohm's law but KVL, KCL, and all the circuit analysis techniques.

Consider numerical solutions to circuit differential equations. Our main task is to calculate the differential changes in state variables, given the existing states as initial conditions. We can almost always calculate those with the linear methods despite nonlinearities in the components.

Likes Dale and vanhees71
sophiecentaur said:
The only safe way is to frown on (you can't 'forbid' these days) using electrons until they are capable of dealing with this stuff.
A.T. said:
"You want electrons? You can't handle the electrons!"
If you must use electrons "these days", it is imperative to issue a warning before doing so and ask students who might be offended or otherwise distressed to leave the room. Placing such warning in the syllabus is also a good idea although none of these precautions will guarantee your job security if you are an adjunct professor as the recent events at Hamline University indicate.

Sorry for taking the thread farther astray but I had to vent my frustration over this warning thing.

• Haha
Likes anorlunda, Dale and Lnewqban
Lol. Hahaha maybe he should have a cable with a mass on it and play with it a bit... Anyways. The fictitious is very wrong word because the radial acceleration obvious even though thats because the mass cannot move circular because of its nature. It has to be forced. So the centrifugal force = force required to keep and object on circular path... (or turn etc) But a simpler calculus is the omage^2 * l * m. So Not a fictitious force because you have to exert against it!!!! It can do damage, change, deformation etc. That it only exists in motion that's something else.

kuruman said:
If you must use electrons "these days", it is imperative to issue a warning before doing so and ask students who might be offended or otherwise distressed to leave the room. Placing such warning in the syllabus is also a good idea although none of these precautions will guarantee your job security if you are an adjunct professor as the recent events at Hamline University indicate.

Sorry for taking the thread farther astray but I had to vent my frustration over this warning thing.
How can innocent particles like electrons be offending? Did I miss someting? :oldsurprised:

• Haha
Likes anorlunda
losbellos said:
So the centrifugal force = force required to keep and object on circular path...
That is not correct. The force required to keep an object on a circular path must be directed towards the center of the circle. The centrifugal force, as the name suggests, is directed away from the center.

Likes Dale and vanhees71
anorlunda said:
But it is also very useful for piecewise linear analysis in nonlinear regions. When I say "it" I mean not just Ohm's law but KVL, KCL, and all the circuit analysis techniques.
My point is that R is just a ratio - like velocity. There is no Law involved. Sometimes there is a constant R over a range and sometimes there isn't. The term "Ohm's Law" is mis-applied nearly always. Is the Miles per Gallon that you use for your fuel consumption ever called The Consumption Law? Of course not; it's just a ratio. Can you really say that mpg is any less law-like than Volts per amp? People are too locked-in to bring themselves to question it. George Ohm got it right; it's just the later generations that went and spoiled it.
The shame is that, along with a lot of terms and ideas that happen to be used in the context of EE (the worst offender), it's used too early in kids' intellectual development and they take it on board as truth.
And, btw, KVL and KCL are different cases. They are Identities, rather than Laws; they are just smart bits of Maths with no Physics involved in themselves.