Doing a PhD in the same topic as masters?

In summary: It also meant that I progressed at a good pace and didn't have to spend a lot of time relearning material. If I had switched projects, I would have had to relearn material and I would have been at a disadvantage because my project would have been new to me.
Pigeon
I have the choice between doing a PhD in a topic which is very similar to my masters or starting on something slightly different, I find the topic very interesting at the moment but after doing something for one year already do you think it is a bad idea to do the same thing for another 3/4 years? Does anyone have experience or advice for this?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Pigeon said:
I have the choice between doing a PhD in a topic which is very similar to my masters or starting on something slightly different, I find the topic very interesting at the moment but after doing something for one year already do you think it is a bad idea to do the same thing for another 3/4 years? Does anyone have experience or advice for this?

Thank you

Shouldn't you be discussing this with your advisor?

There's no one answer that fits all here. Your advisor would know if there are more to be done in your area of study. That is why you should direct this question to him/her.

Zz.

ZapperZ pretty gave my advice. I'll just add that I am currently doing basically the same thing as my masters. I did my Master's Thesis on some application of hidden markov models, and currently working full time and doing a PhD on scaling said HMM to large data sets. I should note that my Masters was in Stats and PhD in progress is in compsci. So perhaps slightly different focus.

Why would it be a bad idea to keep working on the same thing for your PhD?

The advantages of continuing on the same project are that you've already done a lot of the background reading, you already understand the project, you've developed some project-specific skills already, and you likely have a good feeling for where else you can go with the project.

If you switch projects you'll have to do all that legwork again, minus any overlap. The advantage is that the project will be fresh.

What it would come down to for me is whether I enjoyed the current project or not. The thing is, trading something that's going well, that you like, for something you might like may not be a great choice. Trading something that's not working for something that might be better could be a lot better.

I kept working on essentially the same project after I finished my MS. What it meant was I finished grad school in 6 years instead of 7 or 8 like some of my contemporaries who went another way after the MS.

Related to Doing a PhD in the same topic as masters?

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a PhD in the same topic as my masters?

There are several benefits to pursuing a PhD in the same topic as your masters. Firstly, you will already have a strong foundation and knowledge base in the subject area, which can make it easier to conduct research and contribute new insights. Additionally, you will have access to resources and connections that you established during your masters, such as mentors and colleagues, which can support and enhance your research. Finally, pursuing a PhD in the same topic can demonstrate your commitment and passion for the subject, which can be attractive to potential employers or academic positions.

2. Will I be able to continue my research from my masters in my PhD?

While it is possible to continue your research from your masters in your PhD, it is important to note that a PhD requires original research and contributions to the field. Therefore, you may need to adapt or expand your research to make it novel and relevant to the current literature. However, your previous research can serve as a strong foundation and starting point for your PhD research.

3. Is it necessary to have a masters in the same topic in order to pursue a PhD?

No, it is not necessary to have a masters in the same topic to pursue a PhD. Many universities offer direct entry PhD programs for students who have completed their undergraduate degrees. However, having a masters in the same topic can demonstrate your expertise and commitment in the subject, which may be beneficial for your PhD application.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a PhD in the same topic as masters?

The length of a PhD program can vary depending on the specific university and program, as well as the individual student's progress. However, on average, it takes 4-6 years to complete a PhD in the same topic as masters. This includes coursework, research, and dissertation writing.

5. What are some potential challenges of pursuing a PhD in the same topic as masters?

One potential challenge of pursuing a PhD in the same topic as masters is avoiding redundancy in your research. It is important to ensure that your PhD research is original and contributes to the current literature, rather than replicating your previous masters research. Additionally, the transition from masters to PhD can be challenging as the expectations and workload may be significantly higher. Time management and self-motivation are crucial for success in a PhD program. Finally, the financial cost of pursuing a PhD can also be a challenge, as many programs do not offer full funding or stipends for students.