Does Stretching a Slinky Affect Wave Speed?

• Thread starter runicle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slinky
In summary, the conversation discusses the factors that can affect the speed of a pulse traveling through a material, including frequency, wavelength, and material condition. It is determined that the material condition, specifically being stretched, does not have a direct impact on the speed of the pulse. This is confirmed through experiments using a slinky.
runicle
Everybody loves a slinky HELP!

my variables
  • f = frequency
  • v = velocity
  • y = wavelength
Due to the equation v = yf what other factors could change 'v'? does the material condition (stretched) have any factors to change speed.​
These are some answers of the questions I have done.
The speed of a pulse reaching to the end is the same speed coming back to the other end​
The Amplitude does not effect the speed since it does not have a special part to the equation v = yf​
"Question I'm on"
Does the material condition effect the speed (ex. stretched)​
"My answer to that, not really sure"
The material condition does not effect the speed, because it only effects the amplitude therefore not effecting the speed.​
Are my responses correct? I experimented my theories on a slinky.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your responses are correct. The material condition does not affect the speed of the pulse, only the amplitude. Experiments with a slinky can help to further confirm this.

I cannot provide a response to the statement "Everybody loves a slinky. Everybody loves a slinky HELP!" as it is not a scientific statement or question. However, I can address your questions and provide some guidance.

Firstly, in the equation v = yf, the speed (v) can be changed by changing the frequency (f) or wavelength (y). Other factors that can affect the speed of a wave include the medium through which it travels, temperature, and pressure.

As for the material condition, it can affect the speed of a wave to some extent. For example, a stretched slinky may have a higher tension and therefore a higher speed compared to a slinky that is not stretched. However, the material of the slinky itself does not have a significant effect on the speed of a wave.

Your statement about the speed of a pulse reaching the end and coming back at the same speed is correct. This is because the speed of a wave is determined by the properties of the medium, not the amplitude.

In summary, your responses are generally correct. However, it is always important to conduct experiments and gather data to support your theories and findings. Keep exploring and experimenting with your slinky to deepen your understanding of waves and their properties.

Related to Does Stretching a Slinky Affect Wave Speed?

1. What is a slinky?

A slinky is a toy that consists of a long, thin, flexible metal wire coiled into a helical shape. It is known for its ability to "walk" down stairs or slopes when pushed.

2. Who invented the slinky?

The slinky was invented by Richard James, a naval engineer, in 1943. It was originally designed as a spring to stabilize naval instruments on ships during World War II.

3. How does a slinky work?

A slinky works by converting gravitational potential energy into kinetic energy. When a slinky is dropped, gravity pulls it downwards, causing the bottom coil to stretch and elongate. This elongation produces a restoring force that pushes the bottom coil back up, causing a wave-like motion that travels through the entire slinky.

4. What are some other uses for a slinky?

Aside from being a popular toy, slinkies have also been used for educational purposes, such as demonstrating waves and springs in physics classes. They have also been used in therapeutic settings as a stress-relief tool and for hand-eye coordination exercises.

5. Are there different types of slinkies?

Yes, there are different types of slinkies, including metal slinkies made from steel or aluminum, plastic slinkies, and giant slinkies that are several feet long. There are also different color and pattern options available for slinkies, making them popular collectibles.