Need help with questions about Waves on a spring

In summary, the speed of a wave does not change as it travels along a slinky, but the particle velocity may vary. The size of the wave pulse does not affect the speed of the wave. The change in tension in a spring may affect the frequency and wave velocity, but the formula for this relationship and the formula for wave velocity in a spring (transverse wave) are needed to determine the exact effect.
ksuh
1. Does the speed of the wave change as it travels along the slinky? (Would this be yes? Because it should slow down as it reaches the end of a slinky right?)
2. Does the speed depend on the size of the wave pulse?
3. When you change the tension in the spring, does the wave speed change? (My teacher never really explained tension so I'm a bit lost)

I'm just really lost and these questions have to be turned in tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
ksuh said:
1. Does the speed of the wave change as it travels along the slinky? (Would this be yes? Because it should slow down as it reaches the end of a slinky right?)

No wave velocity is constant for a given media. However your answer holds if you're discussing about particle velocity.

2. Does the speed depend on the size of the wave pulse?

Huh? Size of wave pulse means instantaneous vertical displacement or amplitude ?

3. When you change the tension in the spring, does the wave speed change? (My teacher never really explained tension so I'm a bit lost)

What is the formula relating to frequency and tension in a spring ? Does that involve wave velocity. Also what is the formula for wave velocity in a spring (transverse wave) ?

I'm just really lost and these questions have to be turned in tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

Related to Need help with questions about Waves on a spring

1. What is a wave on a spring?

A wave on a spring is a type of mechanical wave that travels through a medium in the form of a series of compressions and rarefactions. The medium in this case is a spring, which experiences a back-and-forth motion as the wave passes through it.

2. How is the speed of a wave on a spring determined?

The speed of a wave on a spring is determined by the properties of the medium, specifically its mass per unit length and the tension in the spring. The speed can be calculated using the formula v = √(T/μ), where v is the speed, T is the tension, and μ is the mass per unit length.

3. What factors affect the amplitude of a wave on a spring?

The amplitude of a wave on a spring can be affected by several factors, including the energy put into the system, the length of the spring, and the vibration frequency. Increasing the energy or vibration frequency can lead to larger amplitudes, while a longer spring can lead to smaller amplitudes.

4. Can a wave on a spring undergo interference?

Yes, a wave on a spring can undergo interference, where two or more waves interact with each other. This can result in constructive interference, where the amplitudes of the waves add together, or destructive interference, where the amplitudes cancel each other out.

5. What are some real-life applications of waves on a spring?

Waves on a spring have many practical applications, including in musical instruments such as guitars and pianos, as well as in seismology to study earthquakes. They are also used in engineering to test the strength and durability of materials. Additionally, understanding waves on a spring can help in the development of technologies such as shock absorbers and suspension systems for vehicles.