DOE SULI 2012 summer internship

In summary, there is currently no definite timeline for offers to be sent out from various labs for renewable energy technologies and mechanical engineering internships. Some people have already received offers, such as from Oak Ridge and NASA, while others are still waiting to hear back. The timeline for offers can vary greatly between labs, with some receiving offers as early as February and others not hearing back until mid-April. It is also noted that sometimes researchers may reach out to students to gauge their interest in a particular research topic before officially sending an offer.
Atcommons
I applied to the NREL and Idaho national lab for renewable energy technologies and mechanical engineering. Just wondering if anyone has heard any news from these two or any others?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I just got an offer from Oak Ridge today. I know someone else on this forum said they got an offer from Argonne around the first week of February. I think it's a bit weird with these offers, since the way it seems like it works is that researchers search through the apps to find students. This may or may not happen any time soon, so offers could be any time. I got an offer from NASA last week as well, and this is almost a month before their official application deadline. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

hadsed said:
I know someone else on this forum said they got an offer from Argonne around the first week of February.

Yes, that would be me. :biggrin:

From what I've heard from people who were accepted previous years, the offer dates really fall within a rather large range depending on the lab, so I'd say there's definitely still time for many an offer to go out.

Thanks for the info... The SULI website was a little vague; something to the affect of "applicants would hear something after Feb 1st." After two weeks my excitement turned to disappointment and after three weeks I was already to apathy and scrambling to find something else to do this summer; but now its back to excitement/anxiety :) fingers crossed

hadsed said:
I just got an offer from Oak Ridge today. I know someone else on this forum said they got an offer from Argonne around the first week of February. I think it's a bit weird with these offers, since the way it seems like it works is that researchers search through the apps to find students. This may or may not happen any time soon, so offers could be any time. I got an offer from NASA last week as well, and this is almost a month before their official application deadline. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Congratulations!

Around the first week of February? Is he sure its an offer. Because what happens with SULI is that when you get an email from someone asking if you are interested, it is not an offer but simply to see if you would be interested in the particular research (they send it to a few). The offer is only sent with an official mail (and will be on your status page).

Nano-Passion said:
Congratulations!

Around the first week of February? Is he sure its an offer. Because what happens with SULI is that when you get an email from someone asking if you are interested, it is not an offer but simply to see if you would be interested in the particular research (they send it to a few). The offer is only sent with an official mail (and will be on your status page).

No, I definitely received an offer. I've already chosen the project I will be working on and signed the necessary paperwork. It's official, no doubt about that.

JaqAl said:
No, I definitely received an offer. I've already chosen the project I will be working on and signed the necessary paperwork. It's official, no doubt about that.

It wasn't directed to you. Hint I said is he sure.

Heard back from SLAC earlier this week.

Nano-Passion said:
It wasn't directed to you. Hint I said is he sure.

Hint: Read through the thread again, and then tell me who he is. :wink:

JaqAl said:
Hint: Read through the thread again, and then tell me who he is. :wink:

Ahahah... I had not noticed that it was someone different that responded! I apologize. :biggrin:

Congratulations. :cool: What project will you be working on?

Congrats laxatives! Looks like we'll be meeting each other at SLAC this summer!

Last year I went to SLAC, and they didn't contact me until...mid-April? It was something like that. This year I heard back from Brookhaven a couple days ago. I reason that the date must vary pretty dramatically between labs.

Dirac_Man said:
Last year I went to SLAC, and they didn't contact me until...mid-April? It was something like that. This year I heard back from Brookhaven a couple days ago. I reason that the date must vary pretty dramatically between labs.

What do you mean by heard back exactly? An offer or a mentor asking if you are interested in his research topic?

Related to DOE SULI 2012 summer internship

1. What is the DOE SULI 2012 summer internship?

The DOE SULI 2012 summer internship is a program funded by the U.S. Department of Energy that provides undergraduate and graduate students with the opportunity to conduct research at various DOE facilities and national laboratories.

2. How long is the DOE SULI 2012 summer internship?

The internship typically lasts for 10 weeks during the summer, although the exact dates may vary depending on the specific laboratory or facility.

3. Who is eligible to apply for the DOE SULI 2012 summer internship?

Undergraduate and graduate students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents and are currently enrolled in a degree program at an accredited college or university are eligible to apply for the internship.

4. What kind of research opportunities are available through the DOE SULI 2012 summer internship?

The program offers a wide range of research opportunities in fields such as energy, environmental sciences, engineering, and physics. Students can choose from projects at various DOE facilities and laboratories across the country.

5. How can I apply for the DOE SULI 2012 summer internship?

Interested students can apply for the internship through the DOE's website or through the specific laboratory or facility where they wish to conduct their research. The application process typically involves submitting a resume, transcript, and letters of recommendation.