Do you need to take the GRE test for UK universities?

In summary, the speaker is considering pursuing a Master's degree in the UK or Australia after obtaining a B.Sc in physics from an American university. They are wondering if these countries require the GRE for admission and if it is easier to get admitted there. The expert summarizer explains that most UK universities do not require the GRE for master's level courses, and that admission is likely if the individual meets the requirements and can afford the fees. They also mention that scholarships for master's courses are rare and that oversubscription is uncommon.
Abidal Sala
So I'm thinking that after I get my B.Sc in physics from an American university, I will do my Master's degree in the UK (or maybe Australia), I heard they don't require GRE? Is it easier to get admitted there?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know of any UK universities that ask for the GRE for masters level courses with the possible exception of Oxford and Cambridge. Check the individual university admissions requirements. If you meet the admissions requirements and can afford the fee then you'll almost certainly be admitted in the UK since you're effectively funding yourself. There are almost no scholarships for masters courses! Furthermore, masters courses are rarely oversubscribed except in fields where the potential of getting a job is very high (like petroleum engineering).

Related to Do you need to take the GRE test for UK universities?

1. Do all UK universities require the GRE test for admission?

No, not all UK universities require the GRE test for admission. This requirement varies from university to university and depends on the specific program you are applying for. It is important to research the admission requirements for each university and program you are interested in.

2. Can I use my GRE scores for admission to UK universities?

Yes, you can use your GRE scores for admission to UK universities. Many UK universities accept GRE scores as part of their admission process, especially for graduate programs. However, it is important to check with the specific university and program to determine if they accept GRE scores.

3. Do UK universities have a minimum GRE score requirement?

Some UK universities may have a minimum GRE score requirement, while others may not. It is important to check with the specific university and program to determine if they have a minimum GRE score requirement. Additionally, even if there is a minimum requirement, other factors such as your academic background and experience may also be considered in the admission process.

4. Can I retake the GRE test if my scores are not satisfactory?

Yes, you can retake the GRE test if your scores are not satisfactory. The GRE test can be taken multiple times, but there is a limit of five attempts within a 12-month period. However, it is important to note that some universities may only consider your highest GRE score, while others may take an average of all your scores.

5. Is the GRE test the only admission requirement for UK universities?

No, the GRE test is not the only admission requirement for UK universities. Other requirements may include letters of recommendation, transcripts, personal statements, and application fees. It is important to carefully review the admission requirements for each university and program you are interested in to ensure you meet all the necessary criteria.