Do you know Good schools for Pure math and/or physics theory? .

In summary, the author is looking for a good undergraduate school for pure math and/or physics theory and is looking for suggestions from others. He has heard that Brown is good, U Penn is good, Penn state and UConn are respectable, and northeastern is a point of reference. However, these rankings should not be taken as the final word.
saminator910
Do you know Good undergrad schools for Pure math and/or physics theory? Please Help.

Hunting for colleges, I'm a definite pure math or theoretical physics major. To give you an idea of my academic standing: MIT would be a stretch, U Penn is a mid reach, Brown is a low reach, Northeastern is a match, Penn state and U Conn are safeties. So I need good school somewhere in this range, from low ivy(Brown, Dartmouth, cornell), to good public schools. I realize the obvious ones(MIT, UChicago, Princeton, Harvard), but these would also be far reaches except Uchicago. I've also heard Brown is good, U Penn is good, Penn state and Uconn are respectable, I included northeastern for a point of reference. Any advice is greatly appreciated :) !:biggrin:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm just curious, but how did you come to the conclusion about which universities are within your range, which are not etc.? You can never really know these things until you apply and see if you are accepted or not, since universities accept a range of students. You may have some vague idea, but that doesn't really help.

Also, as far as I know, there isn't really an undergraduate degree in theoretical physics, there's only a physics undergrad degree.

If you have any interest in such things, you can look at university rankings.
http://www.university-list.net/us/rank/univ-20130001.html
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

There only seems to be a specific physics or maths ranking for graduate degrees, not undergrad:
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...-schools/top-science-schools/physics-rankings
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...ools/top-science-schools/mathematics-rankings

But you can do some research on google yourself.

Anyway, these rankings must be taken with a pinch of salt, they are not the final word, of course.

Last edited:
bump...

Related to Do you know Good schools for Pure math and/or physics theory? .

What is pure math and physics theory?

Pure math and physics theory are both branches of mathematics and science that focus on the study of abstract concepts and principles rather than practical applications. Pure math deals with mathematical concepts such as numbers, geometry, and algebra, while physics theory deals with the laws and principles that govern the behavior of the physical world.

Why is it important to find good schools for pure math and physics theory?

Finding a good school for pure math and physics theory is important because these subjects are fundamental to many scientific and mathematical fields. A strong foundation in these subjects can lead to a successful career in research, academia, or industry.

What qualities should I look for in a good school for pure math and physics theory?

Some qualities to look for in a good school for pure math and physics theory include a strong curriculum that covers both theoretical and applied concepts, experienced and knowledgeable faculty, access to research opportunities, and a supportive learning environment.

Are there any specific schools that are known for their programs in pure math and physics theory?

Yes, there are several top universities and colleges that are known for their strong programs in pure math and physics theory. These include institutions such as MIT, Harvard, Princeton, Caltech, and the University of Cambridge.

What career opportunities are available for graduates with a degree in pure math and physics theory?

Graduates with a degree in pure math and physics theory can pursue careers in a variety of fields, including research and development, academia, data analysis, finance, and engineering. They may also choose to further their education by pursuing a graduate degree in a specialized area of pure math or physics theory.